• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note GN 12

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stefnick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow so much drama. I guess this why Death Note is great. People have so many different opinions about it. It's interesting reading everyones comments. I love manga/ anime that makes me questioning myself, question my morals, and basically make me think a different way.

spoiler[I think when light said something like if Kira wins he is law, and if Kira loses he is not. I think it the way of the world. ]Whoever has the power wither by force or not is law there. It doesn't matter if we think what someone's doing in so and so country is wrong there they are rightous. Kind of like in Death Note if light won he is law until someone defeats him. Also people may think he's right because their circumstances. Like if my friends mom was murdered and she knew who the guy is and he was trailed and was aquited. Then later she found out that her murder was punished by Kira, she would probably be happy and thankful to him. Kinda what happen to Misa. But I not in this state of mind so I might think he's mass murders. Weird thing this free will. Of course this is all hypothetical.

spoiler[But all in all I do thing Light was wrong in his sense of justice. When Light gave up the Deathnote you he acted and looked differently in a sense. His eyes seem more calm went he lost ownership. Which show in my opinion that he was not okay that the notebook, the power, corrupted him. And right there I knew he lost his mind. Also for the when Light finally dies he was so pathetic it hurt, it was surpising how someone so cocky and proud would grovel and beg for his life. It was hard to watch. When I try to the page where he finally died, for some reason I got a sinking feeling it was werid. And the final page of the book with Kira worshiper mourning him, just said nobody seem to have won. ]Like I stated in the earlier paragraph to some he was justice to some he was not. All based on your opinion, morals, and circumstances. [/u]
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My only real problem with Death Note is they never showed the Shinigami King.

I was hoping for that too. I know it isn't necessary for the story's narrative, but gosh darn it, I would have loved to see him.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that Britannica and GATSU are putting on too much of a show here. Why do we need statistics and stuff to try prove points here when we're just talking about the last volume of Death Note? Can't we keep it chill here?
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
But when it got to the second arc of the series, things did go a bit downhill from there, because I did not like Near, and couldn't say much for Mello either. I mean, come on, Light spoiler[was outsmarted by guys who were what, at least five years younger than him. What the hell is up with that? Rolling Eyes So Light in the end was revealed for what he truly was, a guy obsessed with ruling the world, and creating a so called Utopia that would abide by his rules. After Light's death, people questioned whether having Kira gone was such a good thing, because crime in the world increased yet again. And in the final scene of the series, that girl was NOT Misa. She committed suicide after hearing of Light's death. ]

If you think that the age difference between Light and Mello and Near was bad.... spoiler[The age difference between Light and L was worse. L was 8 YEARS OLDER than Light (L died when he was 27 according to Vol. ]13). Not so bad now, huh? Plus, spoiler[Misa didn't killed herself after hearing Light's death, she was in a deep depression for a full year and some weeks before she killed herself on Valentine's Day 2011].
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
My only real problem with Death Note is they never showed the Shinigami King.

I was hoping for that too. I know it isn't necessary for the story's narrative, but gosh darn it, I would have loved to see him.

I know. The artist does such a great job. It would have been a masterpiece.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
britannica:
I highly doubt that. Besides the law doesn't care if you know about it or not-

It does in some cases. Plus there's the issue of whether they're sane enough to stand trial...Or do you think children who kill should also be tried as adults?

We've gotten way off subject- but i'll answer your last question

Though that law might save some people...I think that its just another way for lawyers to "save" guilty sane people.

In Michigan, we have a law that allows people under the age of 17 to be tried as adults in serious crimes. I agree with that law.
I think after age 10 you not only know right from wrong but you also know the that for any action you take there are consquences.

It's been nice debating with you. I still think what I think however, but I had fun. Very Happy
I'm going to stop now so one of the mods doesn't feel they need to lock the thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
I finished up the last volume this morning. Again too much drama with the "I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know....and so on and so on and so on. Personally I'm glad it's over. Story telling with super logic like this makes my head hurt but all in all I was deeply pulled into the story to see how it would ended.
reddersss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
i think another ideology the story displays which doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet is the fickleness of humanity. casting aside whether or not you think light was righteous, the fact that the majority of the population (of japan / the world? - never specified i don't think) seemed to be behind him after only a few years is alarming. was this a case of merely accepting whoever has absolute power as "law", the way historical man preponderantly has done? or did they change their minds based on fear - was it, in fact, an oppressive rule? or was it the religious symbolism involved - a regressive movement on behalf of the people who welcomed a return to myth-laden days, when esoteric power was not to be understood, but worshipped? let's not forget that the public didn't know HOW these killings were undertaken. in these increasingly sterile and technological days, people still cling on to their religion with greater fanaticism than before, but do people today worship their god more out of love, or fear? this is the key question the book raises about humanity, quite divorced from the whole idea of light being righteous or otherwise.

and incidentally, i loved the ambiguity of the ending. the art portrayed light as increasingly deranged and evil, yet it also hinted at the actions of near as being, perhaps not evil, but certainly not righteous either. the clue is in the epilogue, when ade says spoiler[that the only reason he is sure they did the right thing is because otherwise they would be dead; not a noble reason, an entirely selfish reason (albeit a completely understandable one)]. brilliant ending to a marvellous series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4