• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haganai (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote

Haganai (TV)
Haganai NEXT (TV) discussion begins here.

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Themes: afterschool club, ecchi, friends, harem, school

Plot Summary: Kodaka Hasegawa is a recent transfer student to St. Chronica's Academy, a Catholic high school. As with every other school he has ever attended, he finds it difficult to make friends there because of his naturally-blond hair and fierce-looking eyes, which make him look like a dangerous "yankee" to his prejudiced schoolmates. One day, Kodaka accidentally comes across the equally solitary and very abrasive Yozora Mikazuki while she converses with her imaginary friend Tomo. Realizing that neither of them have any social lives, they decide that the best way to improve their situation is to form a club: the Neighbor's Club precisely intended to make friends and learn social skills.
----------------------------------

This is definitely the anime I am most hyped about for fall 2011. It might seem like a typical average harem, but I have a feeling it will be a top show for this season. Especially when you consider how popular the light novel is. An 11 minute OVA just came out showing some random clips. I like the character models. The main guy Kodaka looks very cool for a "delinquint". I hated when other animes, like Karin and ToraDora, that had guys who looked like "delinquints" with a small black dot as their eye pupil. Nevertheless I can't wait till it premieres in 2 weeks.

Last edited by WhiteHairGirls on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
This sounds so trashy... like, really, really uninspired.

Which means I might watch it because I haven't really watched any trashy anime lately and some mind-numbing fluff might be in order soon. Probably will give it a chance, and, hey, maybe it will be more smartly written than it looks (the projectile vomiting promo was rather amusing, I do admit).

Also, buriki character designs with Hanazawa Kana in the cast list... siren calls I find very hard to resist.
4750G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
When I read the plot the first time I didn't think I'll check this one out. The opening reminded me of ToraDora! so I thought there might not be anything new here. Though the establishing of a club is interesting, that reminds me of SKET Dance with its funny bunch of misfits. But I still might give this a shot, if just for the sole reason that it's a harem. When it's harem, the main guy is almost always either stupid, cool, or kind, and I wanna see how this one's protagonist matches up with my favorites so far.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quote
The episode 0 thing didn't do that much for me (but then again episode 0s rarely do) but I'll be checking this out. Might be good for some larfs and fanservice.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:31 am Reply with quote
Since I have to do my own share of reviews for the Fall guide (not for ANN btw) I will give at least the first episode a shot, but it looks like it could be a bit different than the typical harem show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braskez

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Although it seems somewhat generic, which I don't think is bad its just.... generic, I am probably going to watch it anyways. Actually more than likely, because I have nothing better to do. Confused

The teaser didn't do much for me and the spoiler[throwup scene was kind of disturbing.] but it was an episode 0 soo thats sorta to be expected.

The blond chick was hot though. Wink

Last edited by braskez on Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
its worth at least 1 episode, all incredibly hyped series deserve at least 1, but given just how popular the LNs are (150,000/vol is twice as good as Toaru Majutsu and 3x as many as Baka to Test before they got animes), it should be good enough for a keeper
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
One week left.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I had read a few chapters of the manga not too long ago and it was ok. They had a few funny jokes about other series and anime too (I think one was about Sacred Blacksmith). The whole episode 0 is from the manga, but it was actually better in the manga I thought. Not quite as nauseating but more focused on the stubbornness and lack of social skills the characters had. I didn't read too far in so I don't know if it gets better or worse and of course how it translates into an anime is the real unknown. I'm definitely giving it a try tho.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow the first episode was nice. It was good to see the show didn't rush introducing all of the characters. You saw glimpses of all the characters besides the main 3 characters. Kodaka is a very cool looking character. Both Yozora and Sena have their charms too. I can't wait for the next episode.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
First ep was ok and if I recall correctly sticks pretty close to the manga.

I guess the show has the same character designer as Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko? Because the girls kinda remind me of Erio Touwa and even though I think the design of Erio was way cute too many characters having the same face might not work for me. I thought the backgrounds looked decent visually. It looks like it might be a cute fun show. I'll definitively give it another episode or two.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
First ep was ok and if I recall correctly sticks pretty close to the manga.

I guess the show has the same character designer as Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko? Because the girls kinda remind me of Erio Touwa and even though I think the design of Erio was way cute too many characters having the same face might not work for me. I thought the backgrounds looked decent visually. It looks like it might be a cute fun show. I'll definitively give it another episode or two.

Yes both shows were made by the same person
killmyself

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I love this show.

The constant shit talking between Yozora and Meat is great and I'm a fan of taking stereotypical anime personality types to the extremes. It feels like Bakemonogatari to me with its pacing and general presentation of the characters while not being burdened by trying to be 100 genres and themes combined.

I just hope this doesn't turn into a romantic comedy and is mostly about eccentric characters interacting with each other. So I'm hoping it runs more along the lines of SZS where the harem is filled with lunatics and is an unwanted burden for the protagonist.

braskez wrote:

The teaser didn't do much for me and the spoiler[throwup scene was kind of disturbing.] but it was an episode 0 soo thats sorta to be expected.

That scene was set up perfectly and hilarious. spoiler[It is the only time in my life I have laughed at someone vomiting I usually find it disgusting as well.] You rarely see that kind of patience in building up to one gag/joke on a tv show.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
*looks at poster*

Wow, I shouldn't notice this considering it's anime and all(where hair color can even be green), but...that's the most blonde characters(4) I've ever seen in an anime not set outside of Japan.

I have a hunch that the writer has a blonde/white fetish.

Not sure if I like the premise of the anime all that much(people with socializing problems getting together to become friends?)...but I'll give it a chance. The art looks nice. A bit normal looking.

As for character designs...I'll say it now. I do not like the main character one bit. I can empathize with the "prejudiced" people around him, this guy is just plain ugly.

On the bright side, I like the nun. Cool This show is giving me a tiny bit of Index vibes. And the butterfly hair thingy on blondie looks pretty nice. And the interaction between the two main girls was entertaining.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
So far I like it after seeing episode 1, I saw 0 as well, and the fighting between the female leads appeals to me for some reason. So far I am a big fan of Yozora, a nice mix of serious, and a little bit silly. Recognised her voice being very similar to Chiri from SZS (same seiyu), and the parts she looks Meme from Denpa are to die for.

The air-friend thing was my favorite bit, where she keeps going backwards and forwards on whether it counts as a real friend or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 25