• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Detour Hosts Donation Drive for Greg Ayres

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thats sad. I hope he gets all the money he needs for the operation.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to know that FUNimation has a dental insurance plan.
jayntampa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I was fortunate enough to meet Greg a couple times and even interview him for an article posted here on ANN years back. If you can help, you'd be helping one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

As a side note, here's the article -- do what you can!

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2003-10-25
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
He's easily the most down to earth anime voice actor I've ever met, real great guy, and of course very talented, please donate if you can!
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
As much I want to help him I don't have the money nor the payment methods, but I wish him luck.
Midwestern Tanuki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Well that bites, hope they rasing enough money for him. He's a great guy.

When I first read this I thought it was a payback prank for the whole pet sloth flyer/Brina Palencia incident at Anime Central 2010. Then I remebered it was Vic Mignogna who I think set it in motion, not Greg Ayres.
jjonesanime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
He is really a nice guy so hopefully people will help him. Also being a voice actor technically means you work for yourself the companies only pay you when you record so he doesn't work for just one company which would explain the dental plan thing.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
It's nice to know that FUNimation has a dental insurance plan.

You'd be surprised how many don't have a dental plan here in Texas.

Good 'ol Right to Work state.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Donated $25 to the cause, representing western Kentucky. Paducah (2 hours from where I hang my hat in Henderson) is home to OMGcon, and Greg has been a fixture of that con since before I was aware of its existence. He's really sweet, and OMGcon wouldn't be OMGcon without our rave master! (No pun intended.) Love, peace, and plushie lawyer hugs!

-n
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Man, I thought being in a union meant you got money for health needs like that.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Even without his job covering it, you can get dental plans privately and, oddly enough, through megachain stores like Costco for about $150 a year.

While I feel bad that he has to go through such a costly surgery, I wonder why he wasn't able to spend the $150-or so on a dental plan earlier. Please don't tell me it's one of those "I'm young and invincible" things. It also saddens me that his none of the companies that he's voiced for could pay for his surgery, or at least give him a temporary loan so he could get the operation and he can pay it off over time. It tells me that they really value his services.

As much as I'd like to donate, I can't justify paying for someone's lack of preparation. I have no problem reaching into my pocket to donate for those who were affected by the earthquake/tsunami in Japan - I've done it many times this year. But I do take issue with people who know that there's a great chance that a reoccurring health issue could pop up and do nothing preventative about it.

Of course, Mr. Ayres, if it happens to be because your dental plan either won't cover pre-existing conditions or won't cover the surgery, then, please direct us to your dental plan's HR department and maybe those that read this site can direct a few choice letters in their direction.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
As a Texas resident, I've never heard such a thing. We have a grand total of ~20 Costco stores throughout the state. No wonder I've never seen one here. Now, maybe if Wal-mart provided such a service.
machetecat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
But I do take issue with people who know that there's a great chance that a reoccurring health issue could pop up and do nothing preventative about it.

Just fyi, the dental bridge that fell out was his way of preventing it. A dental bridge is something (usually a fake tooth, but depending on the severity could be something different) that is put in to fill in the gaps created by missing teeth.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/dental-health-bridges

There could be any number of reasons why the bridge fell out or was damaged, but the fact he had one means he had certainly done something about it in the past. As far as dental insurance, prices/availability could change from state to state. He might not have been able to get a decent insurance plan in Texas.

I can't really afford a donation right now, Greg, but I wish you the best of luck.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow. It's completely a different story over at Crunchyroll than over here. Everyone seems mad at him, and mostly just because they don't like how he voices a certain character in a certain series or something along those lines. If I had any extra money right now, I'd be more than happy to help the guy out, but the best I can do is just to wish him my best.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
For those mentioning a dental plan or Funimation's dental plan or whatever - voice actors are work-for-hire freelancers who likely file their taxes as self-employed. Like writers, things like "benefits" and "basic health insurance" are a barely-affordable luxury, as they do not work for one of the few corporations that actually still provide these things for their employees.

Consider yourself very blessed if you're in a situation where things like dental insurance are standard and common among the working people you know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5