• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inside Studio Ironcat

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dejiko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:22 am Reply with quote
Details on the why and how of this travesty may be found on this Megatokyo forum thread.
Look for the post by WingZero.
wednesday

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Goodness me.

A cynic might speculate that "Studio Robb" had a completed scanlation sitting around to accompany prior efforts. That's upsetting, and I'd hope that wasn't what happened.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:05 pm Reply with quote
wednesday wrote:
A cynic might speculate that "Studio Robb" had a completed scanlation sitting around to accompany prior efforts. That's upsetting, and I'd hope that wasn't what happened.

There's nothing wrong with making translations (and holding them back) in the hopes that someone will ask you for your work. It's speculative, and more often than not you'll mispredict the market trends and end up having wasted effort. Of course, Studio Robb HAD put up Digicharat scans before (which makes me wonder if those scans were the same Digicharat as what IC licensed...?) but much of what happened remains sound.

I've got a semi-complete English translation of Lodoss War novel #1 sitting around. If Del Ray (or someone else) were to e-mail me and ask for my translation, I'd gladly work with them... but if they went with a different translation, well... that's business.

In the end, my translation would simply remain my translation, and nothing more. And that seems to be the same sentiment WZ feels about his translation not being accepted. "Eh, it happens."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wednesday

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
There's nothing wrong with making translations (and holding them back) in the hopes that someone will ask you for your work. It's speculative, and more often than not you'll mispredict the market trends and end up having wasted effort.

I agree there's nothing wrong with that, but that wasn't precisely the scenario I'd imagined, or what I thought WZ was getting at. (Specifically, WZ gave the impression of having already been asked.)

Quote:
Of course, Studio Robb HAD put up Digicharat scans before (which makes me wonder if those scans were the same Digicharat as what IC licensed...?)

The ones I've seen -- which I couldn't now confirm were Studio Robb, since I deleted them once I got the official version, but they were style-consistent -- were of the stuff Viz picked up. But it wouldn't have surprised me if he'd gone on to do Champion Cup before IC came along.
section9

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I remember thinking that something was wrong, but it was years ago....

In 1999, my club did a road trip to Anime Weekend Atlanta. Steve had been a fixture at AWA for all the time I had been there. Indeed, my first con was in 1997-AWA was one hell of a good time. Two things that made it a good time were Steve Bennett and his people. Kuni Kimura was in tow in those days, as was Ippongi Bang and her crowd.

By 1999, our club, Seishi no Anime, had grown to a point where we could have our own party room. And we did. Bennett showed up with a bunch of the other con gods to have a good time, drink our booze, and in general make a name for himself. A female member we went up with also enjoyed flirting with Steve during that time, but nothing ever came of it.

I remember asking Steve what happened to Kuni Kimura and Bang. I remember that he widened his eyes and mentioned that Kuni would definitely not be coming back, but Bang might be. Something seemed amiss, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Now I know.

Be Seeing You,

Chris
Dejiko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:52 am Reply with quote
When Broccoli learns of the way their flagship title has been handled, there will be hell to pay. By mutilating the property like this, IC has reduced the popularity = value of it. If Broccoli was already angry with Viz for changing 'nyo' into 'meow', they're sure as hell going to have a fit over IC's version. My hope is they will retract the license and sell it to a healthy company who is capable of putting out a good product.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:36 am Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
My hope is they will retract the license and sell it to a healthy company who is capable of putting out a good product.

It's not likely that they can retract the license. It's possible and likely that there are several clauses allowing them to do that, but I doubt any of them cover something as subjective as "Translation Quality".
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Yes, let us all spill out with torches and pitchforks. I looked at the Viz release of Digi Charat today, WingZero at the Megotokyo forum failed to mention that (at least later vols. didn't see earlier one) ALSO translates Dejiko as Digiko, if Broccoli had an issue with that, it is uncorrected in later volumes. As for the "Gamerz" bit, did ANYONE ever stop to think that there is a REASON that the US store is not called simply "Gamers" and is instead "Anime Gamers"?
I personally don't like the way they chose to translate the dialogue, but then I'm not a fan of the series so I don't really care either. I spoke to a friend who IS a fan of the series and he seemed to totally understand when I described (incredulously, because I don't think it's the best way to go about it) how it was done. *shrug* I also know people that STILL think that Shinsengumi fansub group did a better job with Kyoto arc Kenshin subs than the domestic release because of all the profanity they're certain was spewing out of Sannosuke.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:13 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Yes, let us all spill out with torches and pitchforks.

Nah, scorching eye-beams of death will be more than enough, methinks Very Happy

Quote:
I looked at the Viz release of Digi Charat today, WingZero at the Megotokyo forum failed to mention that (at least later vols. didn't see earlier one) ALSO translates Dejiko as Digiko, if Broccoli had an issue with that, it is uncorrected in later volumes.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to check it out myself, since Viz banned all export of their books to Europe... so this was pretty much my only chance to get my hands on a translated Digi Charat manga Sad. Odd to hear they went against Broccoli's wishes, well.. it's their party~nyo.

Quote:
As for the "Gamerz" bit, did ANYONE ever stop to think that there is a REASON that the US store is not called simply "Gamers" and is instead "Anime Gamers"?

I did, but I'm not sure what that has to do with this. The manga takes place at the Japanese Gamers store, so common logic would dictate to stick with that name... unless we're talking about legal mumbo-jumbo here. I mean, I can understand why it's called MegaGamers in the MegaTokyo comic, but since 'Gamers' and 'Digi Charat' are both owned by Broccoli, there would be no need to change it, now would it? How did Viz handle this? I'm curious.

Quote:
I also know people that STILL think that Shinsengumi fansub group did a better job with Kyoto arc Kenshin subs than the domestic release because of all the profanity they're certain was spewing out of Sannosuke.

It would appear Studio Robb and Shinsengumi are aiming at the same targe audience Smile. Sorry, I don't pay money for fansubs, nor intend I to do so for glorified rubbish scanlations such as this. If I would want to experience ghetto speak, laced with surf dude and valley girl accents, I could just turn on the TV Razz
section9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:11 am Reply with quote
Just as an aside, I remember the Kyoto arc from the original Shinsen Gumi VHS tapes, back in say 1998. Just a well done translation altogether. Enjoyed Kenshin thoroughly....my favorite section was the whole Mummy Bad Guy/Palm Tree Head story arc, with my favorite, the lowborn geisha who always walked around with a glass of wine in her hand (of course, I was also a big Dilandau Albatou fan, as well....).

Of course, in those days my club was able to get stuff from the old Anime West outfit, Shinsen Gumi, and the rest of the subbing organizations as they came off the assembly line. I remember we saw the complete Escaflowne series before anyone else saw it. Kodomo no Omocha as well.

I get the impression that with the rapidity of licensing and the explosion of commercially available anime, the subbers have fallen on hard times.

Be Seeing You,

Chris
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:

Quote:
As for the "Gamerz" bit, did ANYONE ever stop to think that there is a REASON that the US store is not called simply "Gamers" and is instead "Anime Gamers"?

I did, but I'm not sure what that has to do with this. The manga takes place at the Japanese Gamers store, so common logic would dictate to stick with that name... unless we're talking about legal mumbo-jumbo here. I mean, I can understand why it's called MegaGamers in the MegaTokyo comic, but since 'Gamers' and 'Digi Charat' are both owned by Broccoli, there would be no need to change it, now would it? How did Viz handle this? I'm curious.

I'm not certain how Viz handled this particular issue as I only remembered the other referenced relative to Viz and I was only briefly browsing in the book store. As for the names, I'm no lawyer, so I can't say for certain, but I'm all but positive that the US store is called Anime Gamers because another company already held the Gamers name. If that was the case, it is POSSIBLE this was done to keep from having legal issues re: the store in the manga. Again, I'm no lawyer so that may not be believable, HOWEVER, I would like to point out that Spike Lee sued Spike TV and currently the band Arrested Development has a suit against tv station FOX for having a show titled "Arrested Development" so I can imagine any company being paranoid on the issue. I think the lawyers have gone out of control in this regard, but CYA...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2