• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I've never understood why those Chuck Norris "jokes" were so popular in the first place. I've chuckled at a couple of them, but they get real old, real fast. I guess its because they are dumb and dumb things tend to get popular on teh intarwebs.
Celes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I think the new feature replacing the rants sounds really cool. At first I thought it was kind of like "Well, isn't that what a discussion forum is for?" but you know, sometimes in the forums things do get off topic and it is difficult to bring yourself to go through many, many, many pages of discussion to find the really good posts that just don't repeat what everyone else says, so...I think picking select answers (and hopefully those answers will reflect varying viewpoints) and posting those will make reading more enjoyable.

Unfortunately I can't really participate for the first question because I don't have a well-thought out answer that I would feel confident enough to submit, but I honestly am not sure what would make me stop watching fansubs. I thoroughly enjoy them because I see it as a way to both see anime that will probably never get licensed and to experiment and try to challenge what I am typically drawn to (shojo). I guess ultimately I would stop if DVD prices were cheaper or if my library started stocking all the anime I wanted to watch -_- *sigh* If only I had better money management skills.

Last edited by Celes on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:

Series rewatching and not rewatching Some series I will probably never watch again just off the top of my head are Trinity Blood Blood+ and Noein. For series I could watch again and again are Love Hina Negima Bleach One Piece Dragon Ball Naruto and Tokko

I would never rewatch any shonen jump shows from the begining to end; that would have to include rewatching 200+ episodes which also includes filler.

But I will watch select story arcs of Naruto, like the Zabuza Arc or the Tsunade Arc
Cloe

To be honest, I stopped reading the rants months ago; I might go back sometimes and skim them if they provoked a ton of forum discussion, but that's it. I'm glad to see them go.

Utena and Eva are two series I find myself revisiting again and again as well. Especially Eva, and especially my favorite episodes of Eva (Both of You, Dance Like You Want To Win! and She Said, "Don't Make Others Suffer For Your Personal Hatred." are probably the top two). They both make me feel nostalgic and happy every time I re-watch them. Kare Kano as well, for the same reasons. I tend to re-watch series that are slightly more episodic in nature more often than the continuous ones. I adore Wolf's Rain, but there isn't that same sense of cohesion from sitting down and watching a random ep. or 2 that I get from, let's say, one of the standalone Bebop episodes. If I start watching Wolf's Rain, I have to watch from beginning to end, and I'm often just not willing to invest that much time.

And should I really mention how many times I've watched Mind Game by now? 100? Maybe even more? Funniest, happiest movie ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Torm256

Ah, Answerman I never tire of your wit and sarcasm. Keep up the good work. oh, and more kitten pics!!
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I've never understood why those Chuck Norris "jokes" were so popular in the first place. I've chuckled at a couple of them, but they get real old, real fast. I guess its because they are dumb and dumb things tend to get popular on teh intarwebs.
Contrary to popular belief, Chuck Norris is not the Second Coming of Christ, rather, Christ was the First Coming of Chuck Norris.

When Chuck Norris sends in his taxes, he sends blank forms and includes only a picture of himself, crouched and ready to attack. Chuck Norris has not had to pay taxes, ever.

Chuck Norris once bet NASA he could survive re-entry without a spacesuit. On July 19th, 1999, a naked Chuck Norris re-entered the earth's atmosphere, streaking over 14 states and reaching a temperature of 3000 degrees. An embarrassed NASA publically claimed it was a meteor, and still owes him a beer.

Chuck Norris can hit you so hard that he can actually alter your DNA. Decades from now your descendants will occasionally clutch their heads and yell "What The Hell was That?"
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Celes wrote:
I think the new feature replacing the rants sounds really cool. At first I thought it was kind of like "Well, isn't that what a discussion forum is for?" but you know, sometimes in the forums things do get off topic and it is difficult to bring yourself to go through many, many, many pages of discussion to find the really good posts that just don't repeat what everyone else says, so...I think picking select answers (and hopefully those answers will reflect varying viewpoints) and posting those will make reading more enjoyable.

Unfortunately I can't really participate for the first question because I don't have a well-thought out answer that I would feel confident enough to submit, but I honestly am not sure what would make me stop watching fansubs. I thoroughly enjoy them because I see it as a way to both see anime that will probably never get licensed and to experiement and try to challenge what I am typically drawn to (shojo). I guess ultimately I would stop if DVD prices were cheaper or if my library started stocking all the anime I wanted to watch -_- *sigh* If only I had better money management skills.

Maybe it also has to do w/ the fact that the dub or the DVD release in North America is just behind the Japanese version/broadcast.

For example. Fansub Bleach is @ episode 135 while Canada has not shown any Bleach episodes past epsiode 25 or so.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
Was that first question even real? Geez.

Also I think a five star rating system would work great. It would allow those who are not members to vote, but not twice. Least if there set up like the ones on YouTube, or AoD.

Also, isn't there an age requirement to be a nun? That Oxymoronic comment made me laugh and then cry.

I like the new idea. And by doing it this way it allows you to guide the conversation, and issues you might want to address ahead of time. And I am sure it will cut down on the amount of time to go through emails. Instead of going through say 50 emails about 50 different subjects and trying to determine which is the best. You can go through 50 all about the same thing and pick the best. Much easier. I am sure you get more than that, but I am just saying.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
roujin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Inu-Yasha had a crappy "ending" (well, to be fair, the show didn't end, it stopped), but if we'd had a committee of hardcore Inu-Yasha fans determine the show's outcome, Inu-Yasha and Kagome would get married while Naraku and Sesshomaru had sex in the parking lot. In fact, I'd wager most shows would end that way.

That made me laugh so much. And you're right, given the opportunity most fans would probably choose an ending that's akin to the Harry Potter epilogue Rolling Eyes
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
The series I like to re-watch are generally confusing ones that require thought and interpretation. Rahxephon is especially fun to re-watch, since it actually appears to get better every time I watch it. Quite interesting.

And to get me to stop watching fansubs, anime companies would have to license series faster and have more anime on TV.(particularly on channels that don't require cable to watch)

I'd agree on digi-subs taking the place of anime clubs nowadays. When I ask around my school's anime club, many members say something like:

1) There's no point in watching what the club chooses when you can watch whatever you want at home.

2) The club does not show "good" series.(not true, but it does indicate that they've seen a few anime series prior to joining the club, most likely through digital fansubs)

Last edited by Ryvius213 on Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Do you plan to post any good responses you get to your questions?

DId you read the entire segment? That's the whole point. Next week we'll have the question reposed along with the best answers I got. If there are some really bad ones, I'll consider a Wall of Shame and post them anonymously.

Following that we'll have a new question; it may be related to the issue at hand, or a new topic altogether. Depends on which way the answers go; if they're continually using logic or reasoning I can't get behind, I'll ask a question about that. If I feel the discussion as it were is over, I'll move on.

And yes, all the old topics will come back for this one. I feel it's a fresh perspective. You can also look forward to questions posed to you by people in the industry. It won't always be me asking the question.

Think about it like you're all sitting on a panel at an anime convention and the room is full of people from the major press and in the industry and we're the ones raising our hands and asking questions. That's the basic gist I'm going for here.

I'm happy people aren't shedding tears over the Rant section's departure. I was worried people would want it back.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
Some examples of lolcats:
Oh lord, those things. I had blocked them out.

SharinganEye wrote:
As for Chuck Norris, I have no idea. I personally find it tiring, especially where I live. *coughSouthcough*
Agreed. Although you managed to post a few that were at least semi-humerous.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...while Naraku and Sesshomaru had sex in the parking lot.

That made me gag.

A moment of silence for the rant section...OK it's been a moment. Good move getting rid of it, there were some good ones but most were boring. I love this new "Answerfans" thing though; but while I do download fansubs I buy a lot of DVDs so I can't really comment on this week's. But I shall in the future.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
LOLcats need to be banned, in a "Use of one violates the Geneva Convention" sort of way. All Your Base is funny if used sparingly. AMV videos should be closely regulated, but some uses are okay (okay, very few). Weird Al is always funny, but he doesn't need Yuki from Haruhi eating non-stop to accentuate "Girls Just Want to Have Lunch."

As for the question, I rarely download things so I'll refrain from sending something in. However, there were a few ideas I've had about this. I admitted to downloading Haibane Renmei before it was licensed, but then jumped at the chance to get the DVDs. Same with Haruhi. So, here are my ideas:

-The ability to pay for play, opened outside of Japan - be it ad-based or subscription. Since the series I'd like to see are usually not licensed in the US, that is part of the reason I'd be interested in fansubs. With options with streaming media growing, one would think that the ability to add a selectable subtitle wouldn't be that difficult. Provided the pricing wasn't outlandish (and ITunes' prices for seasons usually are), I'd find a way to make it work..

-Licensing and distributing smaller series without the fanfare or dubbing of larger series. I'd like to see more of "Windy Tales," but it doesn't look like that's going to make it across the pond. Still, I'd buy DVDs that were simply subtitled and mail-order only. I'm sure there's more to it than that (even lesser-known series likely have high licensing prices), but I think it'd be a nice way to get some less-likely series over here.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
Aww, come one, those cats are awesome! I'll spare spamming a picture, and instead post this link for the curious and the uninitiated. EDIT: Numerous posts happened while I was writing this Embarassed

Creators & pro writers > fan writers, though I've seen some anime endings here and there that gave off the "this feels like a bad fanfic" vibe. Still, some parts of me feel that the Inuyasha fans deserved a little more than what they got. And I think both Evangelion endings were good enough, and worthy of the continued discussion they've gotten. You don't see people arguing on message boards about the endings of other 1995 anime like Fushigi Yuugi, since everything pretty much turned out in a fanfic-appropriate way for Mary Sue Miaka and her friends.

And like Zac, the anime I'm most likely to rewatch are the first series I got into, like Sailor Moon (Seasons 1 & 2 seen 3 times, 3 & 4 twice, 5 once), Love Hina, (3 times, starting in on a fourth), Scrapped Princess (twice in fansubs, once dubbed, once subbed on DVD), Cowboy Bebop (2x), Revolutionary Girl Utena (2x), and Angelic Layer (3x). And I could easily see myself watching any of those again. Anything I buy I try to watch at least twice, and I'm starting in on rewatches of old stuff like Chobits and Noir.

The anime club I attend must somehow defy the stereotypes, because it started back in 1999 and has only gotten bigger and better since then. I got in late, back in 2004, but I've seen the membership/attendance rise and become younger, so there's not too much danger of things dying out soon. And despite the widespread availability of digital fansubs, the series we watch (chosen via online voting on a special forum) tend to be the latest, greatest hits coming down the fansub pipeline like Ouran High School Host Club, Death Note, and Naruto Shippuuden. I'm actually becoming convinced that the "younger" generation of fans is not as technically adept as older ones, as they can't seem to get these fansubs themselves, instead relying on Youtube and getting left in the cold when episodes get removed from there. And I'd wager than most of them have never heard of IRC, once the mainstay of digital fansub distribution.
Still, we do show a fair amount of DVDs, ranging from slightly older series like Steel Angel Kurumi and more obscure ones like Ghost Stories. which (*shock*) was never available via BitTorrent throughout its DVD release period. And Ghost Stories was widely enjoyed by many people as a group, due to the comedy of the English dub. Of course, at any given time there's probably more people hanging out in the hallway, tinkering on laptops, or playing "card games" than there are watching the anime. But as a whole, the club has order and is well-run, and the "old dogs' of the club don't just go to conventions, we run one. Wink [/shameless advertising]

The flake: Funny as it is, I'm seeing this disturbing attitude more and more, mainly on fansub group sites and other "can't mention without evading wordfilter" sites, this "OMG some company licensed this show there totaly gonna ruin it by dubbing it" philosophy. And I'm sure these people are young enough that they've never watched a VHS tape in their life, but they seem to forget that DVDs have a Japanese track with subtitles. Of course, that goes hand in hand with "yellow subs make me barf" and "DVD-subs suck because they dont have karaoke." Srsly guyz, if you don't want to spend money on DVDs, that's one thing, but please, stay grounded in reality Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9