• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Those kitties... Ahhhh. I just feel better. Puppies and bunnies and whatever are nice, but fluffy kitties beat them all.

I really like the Answerfan idea. It might even be enough to stir my lazy ass into action, although I don't much watch fansubs so I won't respond this week. I trust Zac to keep us entertained by sorting through the drek to give us the best and brightest answers and also to mercilessly mock the horrible ones.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
The anime club I attend is still a good, old fashiones "sit down, shut up. and watch"-type club. I can, and do, watch fansubs at home on certain streaming video sites that shall remain nameless, but there's still great appeal in watching fansubs in TV quality projected onto a large screen and not just in compressed to hell streaming video format in a small window
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
RIP Rant Section, you would be kinda missed. Although I admit it was on its death throes. *Pours a 40 of malt liquor to the ground*

@ Inuyasha's ending: Zac, we may not agree on many things. but hot damn, I fricking seconded you there. I'm tired of some fans thinking that they have some sort of entitlement for a title. Yeah, you might grow attached to it but it's still ANOTHER PERSON's story. And for the last daggone time, Inuyasha fans, Rumiko Takahashi had basically NO power over the anime production. I mean honestly, if you want to know how Inuyasha ends, read the manga. And trust me, any ending you think will "fit" Inuyasha is most likely much crappier than the anime ending.

Even I'm a big BL fan, I cringed at the mental pic Sesshomaru and Naraku doing it. Surprisingly though, Inuyasha, despite it popularity, has a pretty small BL faction.

@Not rewatching/rewatching titles we love: I think alot of anime fans won't rewatch a majority of titles they truly enjoyed. For me for example, I loved Marmalade Boy, but I rather not go through 76 episodes to see it again. But I do catch myself rewatching Gatekeepers, Peacemaker Kurogane and Cowboy Bebop over and over again.

@The fall of anime clubs: I think making it social is the only way to survive, especially you're only showing only licensed anime. Back when I was in college, we had showings of fansubs of obscure, comedy based anime like Hare + Guu, Cromartie and Sexy Commando Masaru (well, except Masaru, the other anime were kinda obscure back in the day they were being fansubbed). Plus, it was a Black Markey of sorts where we traded anime for anime. Also, once a year, we usually have a long running anime showing where we sit there and make fun of it. I personally, as the vice prez, made sure that no one saw Yugi-oh the same way again.

I don't think the free accessibility of fansubs doomed them, is that you have to make the extra effort to attract people, especially if it a college with very low or no torrent accessibility due to the advent of music downloading on the school servers.

Unfortunately, it wasn't fansubs that doomed the anime club I loved so much but the Yugioh card game, videogamers, the anime library frozen for two years because of overhaul of the system which gave way to the problem that people no longer had VCRs when 80% of our library were video tapes and that ones who held up the club were in their senior year. Seriously, the whole executive board were made up of seniors icluding me. People had to focus on graduating so it left the club on the wayside. The only time that it was enjoyable to be in the club was when we had meeting where we would have 50-60 people there. However, during the two years after I graduated, the gamers took the executive seats and basically forced the anime club to become another gaming club who occassionally watch anime. Alot of my friends who were sophomores when I graduated said that they basically stopped going there because of it.

So, if you want a fuctional anime club, you gotta work hard for it. If you have some classics or any anime before the whole online fansubs, show that to them since torrents for such anime is hard to find. Although, it can be troublesome if they're the types who shunned any anime older than 10 years ago because of age.

@lazy comedic AMVs: Yeah, that's why I like the ones that act like music videos, such as that awesome Princess Tutu's "Hold Me Now" AMV. It makes me cry knowing there are some AMV using the soundtrack of Charlie and the Candy Mountain. It was horrendenous enough to see one group lip synching that during a bad cosplay skit at Otakon this year. And it was used twice. Ugh.

But I hafta admit that lolcats and the occasional Chuck Norris joke (especially the ones posted eariler) gets a chuckle or two out of me.

@Answerfans: I think this is a great idea, Zac. I would partcipate on this week's one but I wait out this one to see how it goes.

Last edited by ArielTsuki on Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:14 am; edited 2 times in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
but if we'd had a committee of hardcore Inu-Yasha fans determine the show's outcome, Inu-Yasha and Kagome would get married while Naraku and Sesshomaru had sex in the parking lot.

ROTFLMAO!

But sooo true!

I'm not going to miss the rants. They were good but after a while...meh...they got pretty lame.

I like the Zac asks Us idea. I think that should be fun. Of course, I'm unable to even remotely answer this first one.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

The flake: Funny as it is, I'm seeing this disturbing attitude more and more, mainly on fansub group sites and other "can't mention without evading wordfilter" sites, this "OMG some company licensed this show there totaly gonna ruin it by dubbing it" philosophy. And I'm sure these people are young enough that they've never watched a VHS tape in their life, but they seem to forget that DVDs have a Japanese track with subtitles. Of course, that goes hand in hand with "yellow subs make me barf" and "DVD-subs suck because they don't have karaoke." Srsly guyz, if you don't want to spend money on DVDs, that's one thing, but please, stay grounded in reality Rolling Eyes

But, don't you realize that by giving those evil corporations your hard earned spoiler[allowance] money, you're only encouraging them to make more bastardizing dubs? Besides, we all know that they clean up the subtitles for the puritanical American fans. My fansub of Hamtaro is evidence of this, since the R1s don't have nearly the amount swearing as the originals do.

(Sprinkle on sarcasm tags as needed.)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:41 am Reply with quote
You can count me in as one who would often skip the rants, because basically we were getting the same thing over and over again. I won't miss it but I think the idea for the new section is superb. This should bring out some interesting answers and some funny (really dumb) ones as well. I don't know what some of you out there in the column are hating on Weird Al for, he's hilarious! Very Happy And you can call me a nerd for that one.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:45 am Reply with quote
Problem on the site: For some reason, the hyperlink in the column (animenewsnetwork.com/cms/discuss/19015) said I reached an Admin area. Just to let you guys know, because I thought I did something wrong.

And awwwwwwww...... to the Rant section, I finished up one yesterday and was ready to proofread it. Damn it. I was gonna rant about how kids in America can't learn to use a bookstore's manga section.

Now to one part that irked me.

Quote:
Third, "giving the fans what they want" isn't always the best course of action. Personally, I like it when an artist makes a bold choice with their storytelling; it would be dull if every show just got boiled down to "giving the fans what they want".

I think there has to be at least some homage to the fans, while going out with a bang. But not over the top.

For all it's shortcomings (Blatant Product Placement, double-pumper carb/fuel injected ****up, crappy storyline), at least the Transformers movie had the original voice of Optimus Prime.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
And awwwwwwww...... to the Rant section, I finished up one yesterday and was ready to proofread it. Damn it. I was gonna rant about how kids in America can't learn to use a bookstore's manga section.
Are we talking obnoxious readers? As in 12 year old spazz kids wearing short shorts lying in front of the manga section at Barnes & Noble as if it were their home and snickering loudly while damaging merchandise and tearing open shrink wraps all the while having an employee stare them down from the counter?

I could definitely elaborate.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
I really hope this new thing revitalizes the column. Frankly, its gotten stale.

Look Zac, I and most people love it that you're...well you now. But theres a difference between that and just being a jerk.

Quote:
There are a number of reasons your idea sucks. I'll spell them out for you:

Maybe that was a kinda silly question but then if the question is so damn stupid then dont print it. Honestly, I dont know why people even send questions in to you anymore. If its a good question, it probably wount be printed since you only do a couple of those. For the ones you deem stupid, you either: a) declare it so stupid that it deserves flat out ridicule and put it in flake of the week, or b) if there is something to at least be said, you'll explain why there question is stupid. If a question is stupid, dont print it.

Same goes for the flake, its basically "lol! look at this retard." Yeah...People say stupid things...alot. But you know what? I actually get enough of that just talking to people, and reading forums and stuff. Its not funny in that context and it still isnt when you put it in a column. Its just sad.

Hopefully this new section will help refresh the column, but for god sake, please dont add a Wall of Shame. We really don't need more "look how stupid this guy is"

BTW, Explain to me the logic of:
lolcats - unfunny
posting a stupid comment followed by a kitten - hilarious

Ofcourse, sure alot of that internet stuff is tired and not all that funny, but if you think being funny is a rare and difficult thing, have you ever considered that maybe you just dont have much of a sense of humor?

Quote:
With the advent of digital fansubs and the proliferation of broadband internet access in the early part of this decade, anime clubs basically became useless; why bother driving down to campus and sitting in a room with a programming schedule that you didn't create when you can just download whatever you want to see online for free?

Ah yes! Its those damn fansubs again! Now theyre killing Anime clubs. It couldnt just be that Anime is available easilly through legal means too though, no ofcourse not.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
stuff

You should stop reading the column.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
stuff

Yeah, Im considering doing that. I used to enjoy it but now it just annoys me. Im curious though wether others feel the same way as me. If alot of people do I would encourage you to change the colum a bit to reflect that. If lots of people think this stuff is funny though, then yeah, I'll stop reading it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Zac wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
stuff

Yeah, Im considering doing that. I used to enjoy it but now it just annoys me. Im curious though wether others feel the same way as me. If alot of people do I would encourage you to change the colum a bit to reflect that. If lots of people think this stuff is funny though, then yeah, I'll stop reading it.

You know, if you haven't been reading the feedback for months and months now where people generally say they like the column and the three pages of positive feedback this thread has isn't enough for you to say "huh well I guess people generally like it", then I'm kinda not with you on your little crusade here.

I don't really appreciate you coming in here with a bunch of accusations that boil down to "I don't like your column anymore" and then you try this "PEOPLE OF THE FORUMS, ARE YOU WITH ME OR AGAINST ME" nonsense. Give me a break. If people didn't like it, they wouldn't read it and they would probably say so in the forums and in my email inbox. I get hate mail and angry people in the forums every so often but you're telling me to I need to not only change the voice I use in the column but a lot of the format and the style of it. You say I "only every so often answer good questions", which insinuates that you're the final arbiter of good and bad in this case. Forgive me for thinking the opposite.

You don't like it, stop reading it, but don't come in here and pull this crap again. I realize you have big problems with me and have attacked me personally on many occasions, and you're not happy with the column. Fine. Stop reading it.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
The Column wrote:
[Again, the same basic principle apples to American film, as well; you probably have a handful of movies you never, ever get sick of, but by and large you won't watch a movie more than once.

I watch just about every American movie I don't thoroughly hate at least twice, though I suppose that's somewhat odd. I'm the same with American TV, but I can't think of any anime that I have gone back and rewatched recently. When I had a much smaller collection, and before TANonD came to my area I watched all of my DVDs multiple times, but now most anime just doesn't hold any spark for me upon repeat viewings.

ikillchicken: if you want less snark, read AnimeNation's Ask John. I don't think I've ever read a more equivocating, respectful column in my life. I personally like Zac's snarkiness, though sometimes I think he tries to hard and it falls flat (no offense, like you said, being funny isn't easy).

I've actually never gotten tired of -good- lolcats. Unfortunately, most of them are not good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:08 am Reply with quote
Well, yeah, It does seem like most people are pretty positive about you colum overall. Still I though it was woth posting my complaints to see if anyone else feels the same way I do, especially regarding the overuse of flake material. Its hardly as dramatic as you make it out to be.

I used to really enjoy your colum so Im disapointed when I now find I dont enjoy it as much anymore. Im harly on a "crusade" against your colum or you. I dont know why you've gotten the idea that I have some kind of problem with you or something. I may have disagreed with you and more than one occasion in the past but I hardly think I've attacked you personally on many occasions as you put it. If you've gotten the idea that just because we've often disagreed, I've got some kind of problem with you, then I think youre just being overly sensitive.

I suppose my complaint comes down to "I don't like your column anymore" but then if it didn't relate to my feelings on your column, it would be irrelevant here. There are very legitimate reasons behind why I don't like it any more.

Quote:
and then you try this "PEOPLE OF THE FORUMS, ARE YOU WITH ME OR AGAINST ME" nonsense. Give me a break. If people didn't like it, they wouldn't read it and they would probably say so in the forums and in my email inbox.

Yeah, thats what Im saying...sure. Rolling Eyes

I don't have access to you inbox obviously and the forum is where Im adressing these issues so I dont know what your issue it.

Quote:
I get hate mail and angry people in the forums every so often but you're telling me to I need to not only change the voice I use in the column but a lot of the format and the style of it.

No. Im saying you should eliminate the Flake, and also try to avoid awnsering the questions you think are stupid or obvious. If thats enough of the column that changing it constitutes "changing the voice I use in the column but a lot of the format and the style of it" then yeah, I do think the colum needs a reworking.

Quote:
You say I "only every so often answer good questions", which insinuates that you're the final arbiter of good and bad in this case. Forgive me for thinking the opposite.

No, Im not saying I'm the "final arbiter" or anything. Obviously its you who decides what questions are going to be awnsered. Im saying that in my oppinon, alot of them arent any good. I dont see a point in awnsering a question which is basically just pointing out the obvious reasons their question is dumb.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:40 am Reply with quote
Considering some of the jokes I've made in the past, I'm rather surprised Zac doesn't think I'm the one with a personal vendetta against him.

Anyway, ikillchicken, since you were curious about other reader's opinions, I'm rather fond of the Flake section myself. I get a kick out of the sheer stupidity or just plain weirdness of some people. In all honesty, my only problem with it is when the Flake is too soggy (i.e. not dumb/funny/weird enough.)

In terms of the quality of questions that Zac answers, well, he's not really responsible for that. If all the questions he gets in during a given time period are crap, he doesn't have much choice but to hold his nose and go with the least pathetic.

Some of the questions are pretty stupid, but some of the best questions Zac can't even answer. If he's asked about a company's internal policies or for inside information on a license, questions that would surely be interesting to have answered, he's got to stay quiet. He can't answer most of the "will Series X be licensed?" type questions or the "will Series Y get a squeal?" because he doesn't know. (And no way in heck would he tell us personal secrets of ANN staff, people in the industry he knows, or likely his own.)

So, basically, the questions he can answer are going to be limited and if no one asks a good one, so be it. It's not like he can make up a good question and then answer it himself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9