• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
I love reading the Hey Answerman section. It brightens up my otherwise boring Friday. I kind of had a feeling the rant section was going to get murdered/die of testicular cancer at some point here.

Zac. Gaius Baltar? Really? I think you're the first person I have ever heard who liked Baltar the best. I would probably go with Commander Adama myself. The great thing about the show is that all the characters have good sides as well as serious flaws.

Chuck Norris facts were funny when they first came out, they get over used now, but there are still a few good ones out there. The best are all in the Alphabet of Manliness.

Series I never get tired off. Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Berserk, Evangelion, Full Metal Panic. And while its not a series, I have watched Miyazakis movies several times.
Otae-san

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
if the anime DVDs were $5 a piece in Japan, then i'll stop downloading fansubs...

And if they were compatible with American DVD players, too. I'm aware that they actually have non-region players, but... I can't be arsed to buy another one when my current one works just fine. :[
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I don't really download/watch fansubs, but I'm looking forward to answering future Answerfan questions! Very Happy

(And since a bunch of people asked way back at the beggining of this thread- I'm told Chuck Norris jokes started about the time Conan O'Brian had the "Walker, Texas Ranger Lever' on his show. That's the origin.)
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
Re: Anime Clubs

Wow, it makes me sad to read about failing clubs.

I think I'm very lucky, I'm in a popular club that has had a good (pretty long) history. I'm not exactly sure why people come to club, but I can tell you what I think.

It's true that you can see most everything we show through a fansub, but why would you want to if you can see it in higher quality on a twenty-five foot screen? This gives people a "anime at a movie theater" experience, even if the chairs are incredibly uncomfortable.

Have regular meetings/showings in the same location. Our club meets every Saturday, 5-10. It's very, very regular. If our room changes or the college (we're a college based club) decides that football is more important than us so we can't have a meeting on the day of the "big game," we make sure to tell people in advance. Preferrably way in advance so you can keep telling them and trying to get it to stick in their minds.

If you're going to have a showing, make sure you keep it interesting. DON'T SHOW FANSUBS. GOOD GOD. PLEASE DON'T SHOW FANSUBS. I hate it when I try to learn about other clubs and they just show random fansubs each week. Where is the fun in that? I think it's good if you have a strict schedule the entire year. That way, if people want to see Show X and avoid Show Y, they can. Our schedule varies by one show everyweek. We show a fansub to get the meeting started (haha, right after I said not too...). We will show to first episode of some random series just to show what is coming out now. It also gives me the ability to fangirl over things I know other people won't check out on their own. (Ookiku Furikabutte anyone?) Moving on... Our officers verbally attack each other each summer trying to get their shows into the lineup, death threats and all. A lot of the time, we try to get series on the schedule that other people wouldn't watch normally. By the end of last year, everytime we put in the disc for that night's Princess Tutu episode, most of the males in the room would squee and eee. Would they have watched Princess Tutu if we hadn't shown it in club? Not a chance.

As people have said, I think a big part of it is the social aspect. By nature, we fans seem to stay away from large crowds. But! With a club, you have the ability to bring people together who understand one another. People in our clubed came to love being social so much, we (sort of) created a second meeting during the week so we could just be social. We told people it was the "manga" aspect of the club, but everyone just ends up chatting anyway. =3

Oooh, and events! Every year we have a halloween party. We have lots of little events and competitions (DDR, Guilty Gear, Trivia, Karaoke, Pumpkin Carving, AMVs, Cosplay, etc). It's a good event to come and have fun... we encourage members to bring their friends and people who are not members to come and just have fun. Last year, we created a large cardboard version of the Going Merry from One Piece to use at our College's Open House as promotion for the club. It was really incredible how lively and excited it made people. It really brought members close together.

Hmmm, I think that may seem long, preachy, and eltist, but I really didn't mean it that way. Basically, have regular meetings with a regular schedule, show legit stuff, allow people to be social, and be excited for your club meetings. Excitment is contagious. If leaders are always depressed and mopey at club meetings, members will be too and might stop coming. Good luck!
menshi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
Nothing short of an anti-internet pirating Hitler taking over the U.S with gestapo would make me stop downloading fansubs. I don't really know how to stretch nothing into a paragraph or two.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote
Cannot please all the fans on how a show ends. Yes, I do agree with Answerman here, it's better if a director directs it differently because if it was the manga, but animated, then where's the interest? I would find buying the manga cheaper.

I do watch anime again once in a while. Long series, I tend to have a problem. Longest shows I watch over and over again had been X. Then again, shows I buy, I end up watching it again and again. Most views had been Evangelion.

Speaking as an ex president of a anime club, my friend was the president of a supposed anime club. Not a lot of people attended. However, I got power, I changed it to both Games and Anime. Attendance went up quite a bit, but I agree with Answerman on this one as well: nothing more than a social gathering.

Flake, my god. I'm starting to think if these are real. Sometimes I wonder people do it for the lulz.

Good thing you got rid of the Rant. It has been lacking on quality for a while. Asking questions, now THAT is something I'll take a part of! Some tidbits, I download some fansubs, but only on shows that are obscure and no lisence. Other than that, blah blah blah. I'll mail you on that Answeman.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Roy9076 wrote:
Cannot please all the fans on how a show ends. Yes, I do agree with Answerman here, it's better if a director directs it differently because if it was the manga, but animated, then where's the interest? I would find buying the manga cheaper.

I think you misunderstood what Zac was saying. He never said anything about whether anime should be different than their manga counterparts.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
rekishi wrote:
HA HA HAR!... that flake was pure gold... he was like pure uncut 100% proof pre pubescent fanboyism, funneled, filtered and distilled into one paragraph...

I found it to be more the raw, pure form condensed into 5 sentences.
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
but design-by-committee almost never works, especially when you're talking about screenwriting.

Zac, I must challenge your assertion here. I'd like you to show me an example of when design-by-committee EVER worked. Laughing

Rants: I never read a rant all the way through, so I won't miss them. The new direction sounds like it could be fun to read. Or dreadful. Wink

Zac's Snark: This is the main reason why I read the column. I have to answer stupid and repetitive questions at my job all the time, and I can't get away with being snarky or rude. So I live a little vicariously through Zac's column. Zac, please don't ever change your writing voice in this column. Smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
stop fansubs?

good lord...

if the anime DVDs were $5 a piece in Japan, then i'll stop downloading fansubs...

Japanese DVDs are so damm expensive...

There's something I have to agree on. If the Japanese could lower their prices to a reasonable amount when it comes to selling DVDs, then we might actually have something, not to say $5 because then you're asking them to be like China. I think for me to not download fansubs, you license the show, and get the DVDs out as quick as possible, AT a reasonable price. I rather enjoy the quality of DVDs more than I like fansubs, but when that's the only way you can watch a series at the time without the DVDs, then that's how you watch them.

ikillchicken wrote:
complaints

If Zac were to play mister nice guy all the time, people would take advantage of that. We have to address bad issues as well as the good, that's how we learn from things.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
It's true that comedy vids are tough to submit to. It takes real imagination to come up with something really funny without relying solely on one source or another (eg. video, audio). I've, fortunately, been very anal about all my choices in vids, and, thankfully, have not resorted to using any weird al songs (came close to using confessions pt.3 with Roy Mustang, but it just seemed too easy). Dubbing characters over funny songs just can't be enough for me; you've got to go into the video and skull**** it until the audience feels whiplash.

I probably feel like a hypocrite saying this, having made vids like "Ready, Steady, Git-r-done" and this year's "I'm Available, Ladies Wink", but I understand how cheap it is to just use someone else's comedy audio just for your own video. I've been milking the Osaka the Cable Guy joke for two years now. But that's why video editing's the fun part of it all. You insert different images all the time while you try to throw off the audience's attention. That's how you make a good comedy video; expect the unexpected's, unless the unexpected is expected then you expect the expected unexpected in order to unexpect the expected (I know this' redundant, I'm trying to prove a point). Of course, you run many risks when doing so. You risk someone else made the same joke before or you risk being too esoteric. I'm WAY too esoteric with my vids, but probably because my mind moves at a thousand images per second. So I run the risk of always flying over the audience's head (I still thought the purple arm joke was good though). But that's also the integral part about making AMV's, you always learn something new no matter what you make. You're always trying to challenge yourself over and over and over again, and that's the best part about this hobby that I'll always appreciate. After all, when you make great vids all the time, how do you know what's bad? How do you learn from that?

I'm working on making more experimental videos that better define the character of my work: a sadistic psychopath with cruel horrible humor, a black heart and dark vile ectoplasm wherein my soul should be...or a Tarantino film, whatever. I've had some luck so far, Floyd's Nightmare was good. But I'll always be searching for the good stuff all the time.

Also, I feel that I should bring this up, over the recent years there have been a plethora of genre crossovers in AMV's, and I'm no exception. So, some people are probably wondering just what the hell they're supposed to think; do I laugh or do I cry? I've been aiming towards both recently; nothing like the laughter of a weeping child. Twisted Evil Thanks Higurashi!
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Richard J:

You raise a good point. Maybe it is that theres really nothing better for Zac to awnser. I would sorta like though if he did have to settle for something a bit stupid, if he didn't have to act like it was so obviously a stupid question.

As for the Flake, well yeah. I wouldnt say I find it funny. It would be more accurate to say that the amounts of stupidity in the Flake are causing me to slowly develop a brain anurism of which I will ultimately die. Because every time I read it, I must come to the realization that my god, this person is serious. A human being whom I assume to be of sound mental health is actually this stupid and as much as I want to believe that this is just one inexplicable idiot who is the exception to the rest of us who are relatively intelligent people, every week Zac has no trouble in finding another equally if not stupider Flake. Its not he's scouring the globe for these people, simply from the comments sent into his column in the space of a week he can produce these people, thus shattering my already fragile faith in the Anime fanbase and even in Humanity itself. Oww... My Brain.

You do not need to read the flake of th week? Gosh some people act like they're force to read something when it's their choice. I normally skip the rant section because I don't find it all that useless but I'm not gonna go on the forum and start bitching about it because there are others that do enjoy it.
the_windcaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh my gosh, the Walker Lever was one of the most hilarious and ingenius concepts I've ever seen on television.

@Answerfans

Is it possible for me to make an addendum to a reply I already sent in?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
the_windcaster wrote:
Oh my gosh, the Walker Lever was one of the most hilarious and ingenius concepts I've ever seen on television.

@Answerfans

Is it possible for me to make an addendum to a reply I already sent in?

Yes, but due to the amount of responses I've been getting, you'd best include the original response as well.

The response to this new segment has been a little overwhelming so far Exclamation
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P rant rant rant...you did have SOME good rants.

Hello my new BFF Hey answerfan! Good addition to the column if you ask me!

I do think the inu-yasha STOPPING POINT (B-because it's not an ending per se) was kinda crappy but what if they continue it when the manga in done because of popularity. I really only watched that episode because I wondered how a mega giant anime like this would end. The answer was with a small puppy (puppy-yasha lol) whimper.

I agree with Zac answer and comments about giving what the fans want. Unless all fans has super creative screenwriting power! But as shown in many fanfiction....no...no they don't.

with the second question I would so watch a series a love a lot. I watched Genshiken at least 3-4 times in entirety and I presently re watching Koi kaze, Super gals and Sailor moon. Series I don't love a lot...maybe if its a boring sunday I'll pop in DUAL or Gundam wing.

Im so glad to hear that cons deliberatly take those linkin park and weird out AMVs out. Force the creativity that the mind can convey!

Okay Answerman! About the answerfan. Does this question ONLY apply to downladers because there are some who watch fansubs through other means. (ex. through friends, you tube and streaming sites) But they still watch fansubs and have similar beleifs of a downloader. Can those people be included?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9