• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Video-On-Demand Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Chris:
Quote:

There's been how many of those? One? The Freedom HD DVD. That's certainly not the same as VOD which doesn't even require a set-top player.

It still requires a computer...And if you can bring up downloadable manga, why is anime somehow off-limits?

Quote:
You might as well say "You've reviewed a live action movie or two, why don't you review every live action movie made?"

You reviewed one of them based on a manga which hasn't even gotten released here. Why can't you mention anime which might be available domestically, but not on dvd?
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:31 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It still requires a computer.

I suppose you can technically call my HD-DVD player a computer since it has an Intel chip in it. I can understand calling the PS3 a computer, but calling the Toshiba DVD player a computer seems like a bit of a stretch.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:45 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
GATSU wrote:
It still requires a computer.

I suppose you can technically call my HD-DVD player a computer since it has an Intel chip in it. I can understand calling the PS3 a computer, but calling the Toshiba DVD player a computer seems like a bit of a stretch.

What about a car, seeing it also has a computer. Can VOD play on that?
aluria

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Love how Sailor Moon is just blasting the rest of the choices out of the water^^ Seen the entire series myself in Japanese and wow, so much better~ Though I do have to compliment the dubbed songs like Carry On and Power of Love, I personally liked them better than the japanese ones used.

And go Digimon as well, be interesting to see what the original dub is like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Digimon?!?!?? SAILOR MOON!!?!?!?

I hope this pulls through. I'd really like to see this. I would pay for this.

I know! Those two I'd pay to see! (Although I hope they're free too Toei!)

I also like how a lot of classics were included. I really want to see galaxy express 999 again. Its been years!

I also wanted to try hana yori Dango for a long time. Same with slam dunk!
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm really surprised Digimon is that popular, cus the movie did worse than Yu Gi Oh.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm really surprised Digimon is that popular, cus the movie did worse than Yu Gi Oh.

Making comparisons between the movie and "Yu-Gi-Oh" just doesn't make sense to me.

Also, about your "Sailor Moon" comment, Toei Animation, Inc. has changed a lot since 2004, I think we can expect better translations in the future.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch:
Quote:

Making comparisons between the movie and "Yu-Gi-Oh" just doesn't make sense to me.

Why's that? It wouldn't still be around, if people didn't buy it. And while it wasn't as big as Pokemon, it did make money. That's why it's surprising that the movie flopped.

Quote:

Also, about your "Sailor Moon" comment, Toei Animation, Inc. has changed a lot since 2004, I think we can expect better translations in the future.

Yes, those Illumitoon dvds were first-class translations which beat anything from a Chinese bootlegger who had less than a year of experience in Japanese and English. Rolling Eyes

On a related note, I just noticed that Chris updated his site with that ANN-posted article about torrents; so why are legal downloads off limits again?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see everything in the magical girl section, especially Sailor Moon and Pretty Cure. I'm also interested in Mushrambo, Ninja Akakage, Captain Harlock and especially Galaxy Express 999.

I forgot to vote for Digimon and I foolishly didn't look at the Romance segment before voting. After voting, I went back and looked, and there are a couple in there I would be interested in.

I would prefer DVDs over VOD or downloads, but if those are the only options, I'd be willing to do so to see some of these titles.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
firecrouch:
Quote:

Why's that? It wouldn't still be around, if people didn't buy it. And while it wasn't as big as Pokemon, it did make money. That's why it's surprising that the movie flopped.

Quote:

Yes, those Illumitoon dvds were first-class translations which beat anything from a Chinese bootlegger who had less than a year of experience in Japanese and English. Rolling Eyes

On a related note, I just noticed that Chris updated his site with that ANN-posted article about torrents; so why are legal downloads off limits again?

About "Digimon", I don't think you're seeing the big picture. Just because something doesn't make enough money at one time doesn't mean it has a low, unvocal fanbase. There are a lot of factors involved such as marketing and the current trends. I can tell you for you example that as a "Powerpuff Girls" fan that while I was excited about the movie and went to see it, I can tell you the marketing just sucked.

And Toei Animation didn't make those DVDs, they just licensed their series to lllumitoon. I don't think Toei Animation expected low-quality due to Illumitoon's FUNimation heritage, I wasn'tr expecting all that bad stuff either. I think they just trusted their ability for the same reason they gave free reign to 4Kids for "One Piece", because of their success with "Pokemon".

Also there was nothing wrong with the translations, it was the dubtitles that were the problem.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch:
Quote:
Just because something doesn't make enough money at one time doesn't mean it has a low, unvocal fanbase. There are a lot of factors involved such as marketing and the current trends. I can tell you for you example that as a "Powerpuff Girls" fan that while I was excited about the movie and went to see it, I can tell you the marketing just sucked.

Powerpuff Girls did well for a girls' show, but probably didn't have much guy cross-appeal, which is probably why it did badly at the box office. The marketing wasn't bad, but, like Bratz, there wasn't really a demand for a movie. It should have gone straight-to-video. Digimon, though, should have done better, considering it was able to survive the battle of the Pokemon knock-offs better than, say, Monster Rancher.

Quote:
And Toei Animation didn't make those DVDs, they just licensed their series to lllumitoon.

Yes, and Toei had nothing to do with those Geneon discs, and that missing Sailor Moon episode, either. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Also there was nothing wrong with the translations, it was the dubtitles that were the problem.

The problem was they weren't even good enough to be called dubtitles, let alone translations.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
firecrouch:
Quote:
Just because something doesn't make enough money at one time doesn't mean it has a low, unvocal fanbase. There are a lot of factors involved such as marketing and the current trends. I can tell you for you example that as a "Powerpuff Girls" fan that while I was excited about the movie and went to see it, I can tell you the marketing just sucked.

Powerpuff Girls did well for a girls' show, but probably didn't have much guy cross-appeal, which is probably why it did badly at the box office. The marketing wasn't bad, but, like Bratz, there wasn't really a demand for a movie. It should have gone straight-to-video. Digimon, though, should have done better, considering it was able to survive the battle of the Pokemon knock-offs better than, say, Monster Rancher.

Quote:
And Toei Animation didn't make those DVDs, they just licensed their series to lllumitoon.

Yes, and Toei had nothing to do with those Geneon discs, and that missing Sailor Moon episode, either. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

The problem was they weren't even good enough to be called dubtitles, let alone translations.

I was part of the "Digimon"-watching audience when the movie came out, and back then and to this day I'm not surprised it didnit do that well. Just because it was a popular franchise doesn't mean in the end other stuff like movies and videos will do that well, because there's other factors like marketing and the content of the film itself. For "Digimon the Movie" I saw nothing but a bigger budget, two long filler episodes in one film and some new Digimon, nothing that special. I think Americans have different expectations for when T.V. cartoons make the leap to theatres compared to the Japanese audience, it's a completely different market. And I don't remember there be that much hype and that much enthusiasm for the film. And just how popular was tyhe series overall at it's height? It was impressive, but it has never given "Pokemon" or "Yu-Gi-Oh" a run for their money.

And "Powerpuff Girls" had plenty of guy appeal, that's why it did so well. The marketing for the movie, however, was too girly for its own good, the only good marketing for the film was only on Cartoon Network.

Toei Animation did indeed have something to do with those Geneon discs, they actually produced thenm themselves, Geneon just distributed them, nothing else. But that was back in 2004, they've changed since then, in fact, one of the Toei reps I met at Anime Expo this year has read my posts on another forum, one of which details some of the main criticisms the company has gotten from American fans over recent years. So they know the problems with their DVDs, the dubtitles, I wouldn't worry too much.

And all I've heard about the skipped "Sailor Moon episode was that it was crappy and the original director didn't like it. Again, it's been years since then, I wouldn't hold it against them now.

Also, I haven't seen the Illumitoon DVDs, I just play it by ear, and I feel really sorry for all those "Bobobo" fans Crying or Very sad .
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
firecrouch:
Quote:
I was part of the "Digimon"-watching audience when the movie came out, and back then and to this day I'm not surprised it didnit do that well. Just because it was a popular franchise doesn't mean in the end other stuff like movies and videos will do that well, because there's other factors like marketing and the content of the film itself. For "Digimon the Movie" I saw nothing but a bigger budget, two long filler episodes in one film and some new Digimon, nothing that special.

Well no one liked that Yu Gi Oh movie, either, and it still had a better opening.

Quote:
And I don't remember there be that much hype and that much enthusiasm for the film.

Perhaps, but the first Pokemon movie didn't have much hype, either. No one knew it was going to do that well.

Quote:
And just how popular was tyhe series overall
at it's height? It was impressive, but it has never given "Pokemon" or "Yu-Gi-Oh" a run for their money.

It seems more people would be willing to pay for it now than newer episodes of the latter titles.

Quote:
And "Powerpuff Girls" had plenty of guy appeal, that's why it did so well.

I really don't know any guy who watched it. It did well, because it was cashing in on Sailor Moon.

Quote:
But that was back in 2004, they've changed since then, in fact, one of the Toei reps I met at Anime Expo this year has read my posts on another forum, one of which details some of the main criticisms the company has gotten from American fans over recent years.

They still released some crappy discs in spite of the complaints.

Quote:
And all I've heard about the skipped "Sailor Moon episode was that it was crappy and the original director didn't like it.

It may have sucked, and the director may not have liked it, but that's probably not why it was taken. More likely, they didn't want it to be reverse imported.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
firecrouch:
Quote:
I was part of the "Digimon"-watching audience when the movie came out, and back then and to this day I'm not surprised it didnit do that well. Just because it was a popular franchise doesn't mean in the end other stuff like movies and videos will do that well, because there's other factors like marketing and the content of the film itself. For "Digimon the Movie" I saw nothing but a bigger budget, two long filler episodes in one film and some new Digimon, nothing that special.

Well no one liked that Yu Gi Oh movie, either, and it still had a better opening.

Quote:
And I don't remember there be that much hype and that much enthusiasm for the film.

Perhaps, but the first Pokemon movie didn't have much hype, either. No one knew it was going to do that well.

Quote:
And just how popular was tyhe series overall
at it's height? It was impressive, but it has never given "Pokemon" or "Yu-Gi-Oh" a run for their money.

It seems more people would be willing to pay for it now than newer episodes of the latter titles.

Quote:
And "Powerpuff Girls" had plenty of guy appeal, that's why it did so well.

I really don't know any guy who watched it. It did well, because it was cashing in on Sailor Moon.

Quote:
But that was back in 2004, they've changed since then, in fact, one of the Toei reps I met at Anime Expo this year has read my posts on another forum, one of which details some of the main criticisms the company has gotten from American fans over recent years.

They still released some crappy discs in spite of the complaints.

Quote:
And all I've heard about the skipped "Sailor Moon episode was that it was crappy and the original director didn't like it.

It may have sucked, and the director may not have liked it, but that's probably not why it was taken. More likely, they didn't want it to be reverse imported.

The "Yu-Gi-Oh!" movie did better because it's "Yu-Gi-Oh"!

"Pokemon" definitely had more hype than "Digimon", for what it was it had plenty of hype for it's time, plus it was "Pokemon". I don't see how it COULDN'T have done well, I and all my friends were part of that audience too.

Digimon came our almost ten years ago. This survey is part of starting a service that panders to a sub-culture fan-following, and a lot of those people within that fan-following who are willing to pay for it now either grew up on the show when they were younger or are watching it as kids right now as reruns on Jetix, and many of both those categories are eagerly awaiting the new fifth series. ANN is a niche website compared to how "Digimon" was originally marketed to a mainstream Saturday-morning-cartoon-watching audience that is seen by less quantities of mainstream American kids today, you're comparing apples and oranges in terms of who's willing to pay for it.

"Powerpuff Girls" was and has been seen by more Americans than "Sailor Moon" ever has. At the very least they were cashing in on each other.

Again, they released those few crappy discs a while ago, and even then they wouldn't cancel stuff past just their first volumes just because of some major complaints, it took a while till last year for their DVD line to be officially cancelled, fairly long after fans had stopped complaining. No smart company is willing to lose money THAT quickly after all Wink .

Toei Animation is worried about reverse importation for just ONE measely episode of a 200 episode+ series?!! Shocked
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The "Yu-Gi-Oh!" movie did better because it's "Yu-Gi-Oh"!

It did well, cus kids wanted the cards. So I guess if the Fox gave away free crap for Digimon, it would've done slightly better, too.

Quote:
"Pokemon" definitely had more hype than "Digimon", for what it was it had plenty of hype for it's time, plus it was "Pokemon".

It had hype, but no one knew it had that much hype.

Quote:
I don't see how it COULDN'T have done well, I and all my friends were part of that audience too.

I didn't say it couldn't have done well. Just that it did as well as it did was a surprise.

Quote:
ANN is a niche website compared to how "Digimon" was originally marketed to a mainstream Saturday-morning-cartoon-watching audience that is seen by less quantities of mainstream American kids today,

For a niche site, Digimon's certainly gotten more votes than newer shows.

Quote:

"Powerpuff Girls" was and has been seen by more Americans than "Sailor Moon" ever has.

Ask the average American if they know any anime for girls, and Sailor Moon would probably be the first thing that comes to mind.

Quote:

Toei Animation is worried about reverse importation for just ONE measely episode of a 200 episode+ series?!!

That 200 ep series costs a helluva lot more in Japan than it would here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7