• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Video-On-Demand Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
No one here likes Saint Seiya...

I know someone who does... Sad It's actually her favorite, along with Ronin Warriors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crawly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
sailornyanko wrote:
The show sounds a billion on the square root of a billion times better in spanish.

SM sounds better in any language when compared to the English version. Though the original is still the best. Razz Nonetheless, how many fans who only watched the English version, who aren't really anime fans but just have nostalgic memories of the show and would buy it for their kids as a result, would buy a Japanese only version? It's a legitimate question that a company would ask when considering audience. And I don't think the numbers would be that high for that group, just as you won't find many people who only watch anime subtitled that would be willing to buy the show with only the old dub (or even a new one, though that would be a major selling point for a new release). You may have a hand full who are just that desperate, but not enough to matter.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
firecrouch wrote:

If you ask an average American about girls' anime, they wouldn't think of "Powerpuff Girls" as an anime. Although I don't know, when you say anime do you mean the literal definition or just Japanese cartoons? And while I do think "Sailor Moon" has and will later still be more fondly remembered than "Powerpuff Girls", there's no denying that in America "Powerpuff Girls" ultimately got greater ratings, more merchandising, and more exposure. I mean "Powerpuff Girls" got a cover story in L.A. Weekly, "Sailor Moon" mostly just appeared a lot in anime magazines.

I have to disagree with you there, and I think it all depends on the age of the girl you ask. If she's under 13 then it's very likely she'll say something like Yugioh, Naruto, etc, not Powerpuff girls since anime is a lot more known now. If she's over 13, she's more thank likely going to know what Sailor Moon is because that's where the generation cut off were the younger viewers remember it before it was taken off the air.

Sailor Moon mainly survived and spread via word of mouth among girls, and word of mouth among little girls in elementary and middle school is a big thing with shows airing. Girl cartoons never got serious advertising because that's just how it has always been with the girl demographic for networks, but the word of mouth among girls is strong, and then you're not counting the original American Sailor Moon viewers, the big sisters to the newer generation, to fuel the flame of the fandom. We didn't just like Sailor Moon, we LOVED IT, and more than likely still do since we're aparently willing to dish out several hundred dollars for out of print dvd box sets, and 20+ for a single out of print Mixx volume of the manga.

I watched Sailor Moon since the 1st grade, am 21 now, and I practically forced any girls to watch it back when i used to babysit in my teen years in an attempt to brainwash them into the fandom as well, which was surprisingly easy to do with that show. Girls love it. Powerpuff girls is cute and all, but Sailor Moon had everything a little girl, and older girls, could want, and it wasn't episodic. It had the central themes of friendship and a social life, princesses, cute guys, annoying siblings, fashion and music, and most importantly of all: girls kicking butt. And they didn't do it in a way where all the girls are mindless, totally ditzy, and JUST guy and fashion driven like other sucessful girl shows of the past, making Sailor Moon unique in the role model aspect of television, something America is desperate for in the generation of little Britneys, Druggy Lohan, and Paris Hilton. Little girls have crap on television and movies, bringing us to parents, and the older, original American Sailor Moon fans who so desperately want the show back.

The average Sailor Moon fan of my generation still has at least a couple VHS tapes from back in the day, DiC dub or Geonon sub, some dvds maybe, or even some old style VHS fansubs, and we still get any younger girls we get our hands on to watch it. It's a weird weird sickness we have. But on top of that, we're about to see something few American anime generations have had: Female anime fans going into motherhood. Us old school Sailor Moon fans are now at the age where we are having kids. We're gonna wanna raise our kids on the only positive cartoon role model we had growing up, and we're willing to pay for it, as we always have.

We're obviously crazy. Don't get between us and Sailor Moon.

I don't think there's ever been a better time for Sailor Moon to re-emerge into the American market, which is why the online Sailor Moon community which is still surprising big and kicking, is so avidly watching what Toei is doing with the rights. We're just waiting for the day we can buy it again, and even better, buy Sailor Stars.

Creepy random thing on Sailor Moon fans on motherhood: I know two girls from my childhood who were Sailor Moon fans, and have had little girls recently, and they've named them Serena/Serenity. I shit you not. That's how crazy some of them are, and they aren't even girls that kept in anime fandom, they just loved Sailor Moon. That's not just looking back fondly, that's obsession years later, and obsession is a good thing to sell to.

I'm looking forward to importing the new Sailor Moon game Namco is developing for release sometime next year for the Wii. Don't care how much it is, or if it totally sucks, I'm getting it.

First of all, I'm talking about GIRLS' cartoons. I don't think "Yu-Gi-Oh!" and "Naruto" can justifiably be called girls' anime, since they're targeted towards boys. , the shounen audience. There's barely any girls' cartoons on American T.V., let alone successful ones, and the two closest you can think of are "Sailor Moon" and "Powerpuff Girls", regardless of the generation who watched them.

Second, I'm not sure if you're trying to disagree or agree with my point, but you're reiterating it. As you're showing, "Sailor Moon" is just more fondly remembered by its fans. "Powerpuff Girls" was still more successful in the States.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It did well, cus kids wanted the cards. So I guess if the Fox gave away free crap for Digimon, it would've done slightly better, too.

The Digimon movie DID give away free cards when it was at theaters. & you saying your surprised by Digimon's popularity just shows that you weren't paying any attention to the fan community. As someone who'se been a part of it for 8 years, this doesn't come as a surprise at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Nebs: Then maybe they did a horrible job of letting fans know about the cards.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Nebs: Then maybe they did a horrible job of letting fans know about the cards.

Free cards only work as well as the contetn behind them. In that deparment "Pokemon" and "Yu-Gi-Oh! have the edge over "Digimon".
Yubikiri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I have to disagree with you there, and I think it all depends on the age of the girl you ask. If she's under 13 then it's very likely she'll say something like Yugioh, Naruto, etc, not Powerpuff girls since anime is a lot more known now. If she's over 13, she's more thank likely going to know what Sailor Moon is because that's where the generation cut off were the younger viewers remember it before it was taken off the air.

My grandaughter has had an interest in SailorMoon since the age of 11, she's only 12 now.. While it may not be airing any longer you can find it being aired in private anime clubs that own the title legally and that in fact is how she was introduced to the series.. Atleast she thinks so, she doesn't seem to remember watching it on CN with me over 4 1/2 years ago..

I had no idea she had an interest in Sailor Moon until she heard me talking to her Mom about it a couple of months ago and asked if I could get it for her.. You know it's really hard to explain to someone 12 why they can't buy it legally, now..

littlegreenwolf wrote:

Sailor Moon mainly survived and spread via word of mouth among girls, and

So don't forget about the Private Anime clubs that are out there showing reruns of long ago titles now and then..

My opinion is this has more to do with the author of SailorMoon not allowing the Manga to be printed anylonger, at least I read that somewhere..

I didn't get to vote in the poll, if I had my first choice would of been SailorMoon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7