Forum - View topic
The Dub Track - Witch Hunter Robin




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Legato 2057



Joined: 18 May 2003
Posts: 437
Location: Soon to be Japan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:39 am Reply with quote
I am glad that someone else feels the same way I do about this dub. At AX this year they had a 2 episode preview of the english dub. Being a fan of this show, I was sorely disapointed when I heard the dub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
drakh



Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Chalk up another one for the Pioneer/Geneon gets better results then Bandai "hypothesis".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mou Kaoru



Joined: 17 Oct 2003
Posts: 298
Location: Simple minds are easily amused.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Is it really that bad? Confused But as stated before it might possibly get better. With so much great voice actors, the dub should be pleasant to listen to. I love this series and the sub version was really good! Razz
I expected the dub to be up to par as well when it came out. Oh well.

nyaaa.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular


Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Posts: 1365
Location: Birmingham, Alabama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Meaning no disrespect to Ryan Matthews, but I wish this stuff could be written by someone who's actually got an informed background in acting, and who can discuss it in more substantial fashion. Ryan's articles have all the earmarks of the smart amateur out of his depth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7482
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:04 am Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Meaning no disrespect to Ryan Matthews, but I wish this stuff could be written by someone who's actually got an informed background in acting, and who can discuss it in more substantial fashion. Ryan's articles have all the earmarks of the smart amateur out of his depth.
If you’re talking about his critique of the "Witch Hunter Robin" dub, I have to agree. I especially noted the arrogant tone in his claiming that only he could discern these alleged poor timed pauses but his assistant, or anyone like her, wouldn't be so irritated. Careful you don't teeter off that pedestal mate! I mean if he wants to see what a really bad dub looks and sounds like he should watch "Strange Dawn".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drakh



Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:26 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If you’re talking about his critique of the "Witch Hunter Robin" dub, I have to agree. I especially noted the arrogant tone in his claiming that only he could discern these alleged poor timed pauses but his assistant, or anyone like her, wouldn't be so irritated. Careful you don't teeter off that pedestal mate!

To me it sounded like he was essentially saying your millage may vary, which is to be expected. No matter how acclaimed something may be, you'll always find people who who hate it, and vice versa. How that's arrogant is beyond me.

In any case, to me, the sound clips provided are exactly like he described them. "You really can see................into people's hearts" does sound awkward, and not in any way like something from a normal conversation.

Quote:
I mean if he wants to see what a really bad dub looks and sounds like he should watch "Strange Dawn".

Oh, I'm sure we could find a multitude of worse dubs. I think the main reason he went after this so hard was disappointment, given his expectations of the cast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7482
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:17 am Reply with quote
drakh wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
If you’re talking about his critique of the "Witch Hunter Robin" dub, I have to agree. I especially noted the arrogant tone in his claiming that only he could discern these alleged poor timed pauses but his assistant, or anyone like her, wouldn't be so irritated. Careful you don't teeter off that pedestal mate!

To me it sounded like he was essentially saying your millage may vary, which is to be expected. No matter how acclaimed something may be, you'll always find people who who hate it, and vice versa. How that's arrogant is beyond me.
So that somehow makes him better than the rest then?

Quote:
In any case, to me, the sound clips provided are exactly like he described them. "You really can see................into people's hearts" does sound awkward, and not in any way like something from a normal conversation.
Without also seeing the vision as well, I find that hard to tell. Like he said those are some very talented VA's. Wendee Lee is herself a Voice Acting Director, so with that caliber of experience there had to be a valid reason for those.........pauses. Don't you think?

Quote:
I mean if he wants to see what a really bad dub looks and sounds like he should watch "Strange Dawn".

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure we could find a multitude of worse dubs. I think the main reason he went after this so hard was disappointment, given his expectations of the cast.
I dare say he'll survive the trauma. But on second thought maybe he shouldn't see Strange Dawn then. It could prove fatal to him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jmays
ANN Associate Editor


Joined: 29 Jul 2002
Posts: 1390
Location: St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:59 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
So that somehow makes him better than the rest then?

Ryan didn't say or imply anything like that. He gave an opinion, and he even qualified it with Anne's view. Like drakh said, Ryan made it quite clear that not everybody will be bothered by the pauses.

Quote:
Wendee Lee is herself a Voice Acting Director, so with that caliber of experience there had to be a valid reason for those.........pauses. Don't you think?

He blames the lousy script, not the actors. And even if there were a "valid" reason for all those pauses, I think it was a poor choice to disrupt the flow of the show like that.

Quote:
I dare say he'll survive the trauma. But on second thought maybe he shouldn't see Strange Dawn then. It could prove fatal to him.

Somebody around here's being hostile and arrogant, and it ain't Ryan. Stop putting words in his mouth, and stop "interpreting" his opinions as some assertion of superiority.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
king_micah



Joined: 09 Jun 2003
Posts: 994
Location: OSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:42 pm Reply with quote
To fully judge this I would need to see a video clip of each portion.
If these were Cafe scenes, it makes a lot of sense. I could of sworn the french vampire running the cafe spoke like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7482
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:21 am Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
So that somehow makes him better than the rest then?

Ryan didn't say or imply anything like that. He gave an opinion, and he even qualified it with Anne's view. Like drakh said, Ryan made it quite clear that not everybody will be bothered by the pauses.

Quote:
Wendee Lee is herself a Voice Acting Director, so with that caliber of experience there had to be a valid reason for those.........pauses. Don't you think?

He blames the lousy script, not the actors. And even if there were a "valid" reason for all those pauses, I think it was a poor choice to disrupt the flow of the show like that.

Quote:
I dare say he'll survive the trauma. But on second thought maybe he shouldn't see Strange Dawn then. It could prove fatal to him.

Somebody around here's being hostile and arrogant, and it ain't Ryan. Stop putting words in his mouth, and stop "interpreting" his opinions as some assertion of superiority.
My! Aren’t we touchy? However I bow to your superior will. I did not have the advantage of familiarity as you obviously, so I can only interpret it as I read it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group