• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Al Jazeera English Reports on Otakon, Anime Fandom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh crap! I hope nobody mentions my amv where I have an image of al-Zawahiri wearing a x-mas hat! Knew that one was gonna come back to haunt me.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
starcade wrote:
I'm surprised they could find three minutes of video at an anime convention that the Muslims wouldn't find too offensive for air.

Maybe you should say, "I'm surprised they could find three minutes of video at an anime convention that the Christians wouldn't find too offensive for air."

Really either statement is close minded and outright stupid to say. Most self proclaimed 'Christian' are as bad if not worse than most Muslims in the US. I myself and Christian, yet am sickened by the majority of people who use that name in this country.

It's not the Muslims in the US going around calling for Harry Potter to be banned. Hell, I even read about one idiot in Texas offended by language in Fahrenheit 451 and wanted it banned from his daughter's school! Plus Full Metal Alchemist was stupidly censored by Viz in fear of offending stupid Christians.

So, hey, take Jesus's own advise and don't be casting any stones and other religions. Check your own eye first for a log before complaining about a splinter in someone else's.

Excuse me, starcade's comment was close minded? Where does it say Christians were the ones who wanted Full Metal Alchemist to be censored? I'm pretty sure majority of Christians aren't the ones trying to ban everything. Maybe the phrase should be 'I'm surprised they could find three minuets of video at an anime convention that everyone wouldn't find too offensive for air.'

Quote:
It's too bad that Al Jazeera is funded by terrorists. Interesting video, though.

Do you have any proof?
RJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
The problem is that the minority of 1.2 billion is still a lot. 1%=1.2 million people, 10%= 120 million, 30%=360 million.

And where do you get your terrorist statistics from? Maybe someone should keep in mind that until the last two or three years, the faith of an individual charged with a crime was generally not disclosed by media. Now it is normally so and apparently only when that person is a Muslim, whether or not he has actually committed said crime.

Its unfortunate how ignorant most of the comments in this thread are.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Dargon:
Quote:
The problem is that the minority of 1.2 billion is still a lot. 1%=1.2 million people, 10%= 120 million, 30%=360 million.

We've already killed that many people in Iraq. Feel better yet? Razz

Quote:
To bad Al Jazeera doesn't give up who has been giving them the dozens and dozens of beheading videos.

I'm guessing the videos are unmarked.

Quote:

But I feel for sain Muslims though. Just as there millions of radicals, there are even more millions of decent law-abiding people. Many of whom are afraid to speak out against such acts for fear of retribution against there families. I know I would be, especially if I was living in a region where such radical thought is law.

So banning evolution and sex education, denying global warming, gutting funding for bridges and levees, refusing to provide an anti-ovarian cancer vaccine on the fear that it will "encourage" teen promiscuity, and letting anyone have a gun isn't radical? Rolling Eyes

Arcwave:
Quote:
It's too bad that Al Jazeera is funded by terrorists.

So is the School of the Americas. What's your point?

Anyway, I'm wondering how Ode to Kirihito would fare among Muslim readers.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:06 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
1%=1.2 million people, 10%= 120 million, 30%=360 million.

Didn't you find something wrong?

What did I make a math error?

1,200,000,000*0.01 = 1,200,000
1,200,000,000*0.10 = 120,000,000
1,200,000,000*0.30 = 360,000,000

RJ wrote:
And where do you get your terrorist statistics from?

They aren't terrorist statistics you overreactionary. It is the world muslim population. Which is between 1 and 1.2 billion. And as everyone has said in this thread, extremists are supossed to be the minority. I am simply saying that even the minority still equals a lot of people. It is unfortunate that your ingnorance and rage blinds you of these simple facts. Or are you saying that 1% is to small of a number to be called a minority.

Gatsu:
Considering Iraq's population in 25 million I highly doubt that.

And what does bridges, sex education, freaking global warming(?), have anything to do with what I said. Rolling Eyes I think you need to read it more slowly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
1%=1.2 million people, 10%= 120 million, 30%=360 million.

Didn't you find something wrong?

What did I make a math error?

1,200,000,000*0.01 = 1,200,000
1,200,000,000*0.10 = 120,000,000
1,200,000,000*0.30 = 360,000,000

Looks like you messed something up. I think the 1% would be 12 million, not 1.2 million. When you jump to 10%, its suddenly 100x more, instead of 10x more.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Dargon:
Quote:
Considering Iraq's population in 25 million I highly doubt that.

Oh?

Quote:
And what does bridges, sex education, feaking global warming(?), have anything to do with what I said.

Our government's currently being run by religious nuts?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow:
I sure did, forgot to carry a zero. So 1.2 million would 1/10 of 1%

Thank you

Gatsu:
Without going into an argument of how credible different sources are there is no doubt there has been a lot of life lost. I don't think it is that high(as the report states), but you won't hear any argument from me that what ever the real number is, it is too high. I would like to see a breakdown of deaths due to insurgents, and death due to direct contact with the allied forces though. There is a difference.

As far as religious nuts, I assume you mean congress. But I don't ever recall them getting marching orders from the Vatican or the Pope handing down laws that must be obeyed. Do you want me to name the countries that do have such systems?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Dargon:
Quote:
I would like to see a breakdown of deaths due to insurgents, and death due to direct contact with the allied forces though.

Yes, because other than our little gun-fights, the Iraqis can tough it out with lack of running water and electricity and their exposure to depleted uranium.

Quote:
As far as religious nuts, I assume you mean congress. But I don't ever recall them getting marching orders from the Vatican or the Pope handing down laws that must be obeyed. Do you want me to name the countries that do have such systems?

Bush thinks he's as powerful as The Pope, so what's your point?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Dargon:
Quote:
I would like to see a breakdown of deaths due to insurgents, and death due to direct contact with the allied forces though.

Yes, because other than our little gun-fights, the Iraqis can tough it out with lack of running water and electricity and their exposure to depleted uranium.
No I was talking about Ak bullets and kitchen knives.

Quote:
dargonxtc wrote:

Bush thinks he's as powerful as The Pope, so what's your point?
Actually, any US president is more powerful than the Pope regardless of his or her last name. But unlike some other places, the church or Mosque doesn't have absolute control of government. Is the point.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Dargon:
Quote:
No I was talking about Ak bullets and kitchen knives.

From us or them?

Quote:
Actually, any US president is more powerful than the Pope regardless of his or her last name.

I meant power in terms of religion.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
An Ak bullet in a non-NATO round, and soldiers aren't issued bayonets anymore. So I was talking about them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
They're not issued body armor, either, but they still managed to destroy a country which did nothing wrong to us.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So banning evolution and sex education, denying global warming, gutting funding for bridges and levees, refusing to provide an anti-ovarian cancer vaccine on the fear that it will "encourage" teen promiscuity, and letting anyone have a gun isn't radical? Rolling Eyes
Please add $50 billion in anti-zombie fundings to that. Razz
Arcwave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

So is the School of the Americas. What's your point?

::sigh::

I guess sarcasm doesn't cut it too well online. My apologies if that came across as ignorant.

/j
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4