• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-17]

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
whoo new answerman! but no new banner. aw.

Oh no its the the attack of the non japanese Japan lovers! I admit- In high school our small group each had a Japanese name and we spoke in short Japanese phrases. It was awesome.

And i've met the people who pronouce everything "correctly". It's nothing wrong with that (there were a few in my japanese class) my only problem was when they corrected you pronouncing an anime title and wouldn't let up until you said it their way.

Air Bud played corcket? O_o i gotta see that! I get what this guy means though- sometimes the charcters ARE really corney- especially it seems on Toonami shows. At least anime dubs have gotten out of the "everything is a pun" stage, which many american cartoons have not.

I call them Manga Rats. For some reason, at the store I frequent they're asian kids. Which is...odd to me.

...scary fawn.

I agree with TJ- i love going to a con a knowing what the show is people are cosplaying from before anyone esle.

I also liked nathan's answer-if there was a channel (that wasn't an crazy high price a month/year) that offered subs within the time fansubbers had theres up i'd be all for it.

I like the new section!
And next week's answers ought to be a blast.
Awesome job Zac- see ya next week!

note: the font seems to have gotten really small after the frist question. i don't know if you were trying to save space or what but it hurt. just giving you a heads up. *as I am blind as a bat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
i read all of naruto in the store and they never yelled at me, i also read bleach and demon diarys.

I hate to agree with a manga cow, but it's true. I sat down in a nice comfy chair at Barnes and Noble to read Death Note Volume 2 (I bought it once I got paid) and some nice employee came up and offered me and the other people there a cup of tea. Small wonder people like the Flake get away with it.

Also, I agree about most Shonen Jump series being cliched, but I agree with Zac that it's pretty funny. That's one reason why I watch Naruto: to laugh at it when naruto trys to be serious by saying "Believe it!" every 10 minutes. (I know it doesn't happen as often in the dub anymore, but whenever I watch fansubs I can hear him saying "Dattebayo!" almost every episode).
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear, Japanophiles who use random Japanese words. Zac-sama, I think they are real bakas! Never in my life have I ended a "chan" or "san" at the end of their name, unless I was joking with my friend Jackie. I prefer to speak in English or French, maybe other languages but the only way I'd speak half English half Japanese is if I'm in Japan because I don't know the language. Kinda like my franglais. They aren't nearly as annoying as Manga cows. That's one reason why I buy my manga at the local comic book store. (they shrinkwrap)
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
This is probably just just the collector in me speaking but I can't stand the thought of not owning a manga series I really like. I could read Eden: It's an Endless World! a hundred times in the store or in a library and still think to myself "I really should buy this series" both because it's that good and it's easier to show off/lend to my friends that way (I tend to try and convert my friends to anime/manga every once and a while).

I also found it kinda funny that my answer, though not expressly posted, was represented in parts by a few of the ones posted. I feel that I have to pass on answerfan this week though. I frequent this forum along with others and have a few friends/acquaintances that I discuss anime with but I've never ran into someone in the local manga shoppe and shot the breeze about The Kurosgai Corpse Delivery Service (wanted to go with something slightly more obscure than Berserk or Death Note) nor have I been to an anime convention. I expect to do both at some point in the next 5 years but as it stands I would place myself on the fringe of the actual "community".

Edit: Forgot to express my dislike for the language butchering Japanophiles. I speak enough Japanese to not have to be one of those people that uses English in my sentences (though I'll cheat and say something like "wataa bottoru" if I'm lazy or too stupid to come up with the word) or vice versa. Combined with the fact that I'm a purist with my English and try and keep it as correct as possible in both spoken word and writing. I'm one of those guys that says "whom" while speaking, uses capitals and punctuation during MSN conversations, and loses it every time I see "alot". Seriously, IT'S TWO WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by blind_assassin on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
It's always easy to find the manga section in a store - you just have to look for the dumpy little kids who are parked on the floor, blocking the bookshelves. That's a big reason why I don't buy manga from bookstores either. Nice column as usual. I thought there were a good variety of questions this week.
roujin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, those annoying girls who are are all nekochan, kawaii, desu desu desu, etc are pretty annoying. Best way to deal with them is to ignore them OR completely shame them with your superior knowledge of anime and manga! I'd rather ignore them though since I don't know anything.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Zac-sama, I think they are real bakas!

Funny! ^_~
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
Oh dear, Japanophiles who use random Japanese words. Zac-sama, I think they are real bakas! Never in my life have I ended a "chan" or "san" at the end of their name, unless I was joking with my friend Jackie. I prefer to speak in English or French, maybe other languages but the only way I'd speak half English half Japanese is if I'm in Japan because I don't know the language. Kinda like my franglais. They aren't nearly as annoying as Manga cows. That's one reason why I buy my manga at the local comic book store. (they shrinkwrap)

If they really want to redeem themselves -- all they have to do is form regular sentences -- and learn at least 20-40 Kanji, which should be good enough for the 2nd grade level. I don't parade my Japanese language prowess -- because it isn't much at all.

Chances are -- they'll do one of several things:
1. Get bored of it. They'll out grow it.
2. Actually "become" Japanese -- despite being a non-Japanese (likely white) girl. Then they take it a step further by actually going there.
3. Those who couldn't go to Japan... well. They'll remain trying to be Japanese -- despite limited exposure to it.

And maybe more scenarios...

Ah, to dream.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I wish I had thought to throw my two cents in on the fansub debate.

I generally don't download fansubs, but I don't believe in buying sub-only releases, either. I believe in rewarding business practices I see as good and punishing the ones I view as intolerable, like making me wait 12 years for the finale of Tekkaman Blade only to have to watch it in Japanese, or asking me to pay sixty bucks for two eps of Gunbuster with no freakin' English dub.

I believe entertainment is best enjoyed in its viewer's native tongue. That said, I do not even entertain the notion of buying anime that does not have an English dub, and a good, uncut one at that, with all the original music intact (i.e. I don't watch anything by 4Kids, and some of Manga's earlier offenses are also on my blacklist).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Great column. Really enjoyed it this week.

Manga Cows should be butchered for food. Bwa ha ha ha! Twisted Evil

The answers to last week's question are pretty good. I understand what they all are say...except for the elitism one. I think that the person who said that if the series were released faster it would cut down on fansubs was correct.

I can give my answer to this week's question:

YES!

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

If they really want to redeem themselves -- all they have to do is form regular sentences -- and learn at least 20-40 Kanji, which should be good enough for the 2nd grade level. I don't parade my Japanese language prowess -- because it isn't much at all.

Chances are -- they'll do one of several things:
1. Get bored of it. They'll out grow it.
2. Actually "become" Japanese -- despite being a non-Japanese (likely white) girl. Then they take it a step further by actually going there.
3. Those who couldn't go to Japan... well. They'll remain trying to be Japanese -- despite limited exposure to it.

And maybe more scenarios...

Ah, to dream.

I'm working on number 2. But i'm a black girl! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't buy manga at Borders or Barnes & Noble for the sole reason that at least 5 greasy teenagers have likely read it beforehand and I'd rather not pay full price for a book with Cheeto stains on every fifth page.

Howabout just asking the store to special order you a copy, or better yet, have them set aside unmolested stuff for you? They call you, you come in and pick it up. Everyone's happy.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
Which reminds me:

I always had this nagging feeling that the dialogue in Claymore mostly consisted of numbers being said in English and people repeating key phrases...

For serious.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Quote:
I don't buy manga at Borders or Barnes & Noble for the sole reason that at least 5 greasy teenagers have likely read it beforehand and I'd rather not pay full price for a book with Cheeto stains on every fifth page.

Howabout just asking the store to special order you a copy, or better yet, have them set aside unmolested stuff for you? They call you, you come in and pick it up. Everyone's happy.

So, rather than trying to get people to stop being selfish, amoral bastards, you should restructure how you get manga so those people can continue to read their manga for free? That's awesome.

(BTW, "I'm a selfish, amoral bastard" is what most of the reasons for downloading fansubs boil down to.)
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or is the new Question of the Week missing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14