• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-17]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quote
nightmaregenie wrote:

Oh cool, it's good to see how Western distributors have such respect for the original works.

I'd rather not give credit where credit isn't due. Some staff at Western distributors have an incredible amount of respect for the original material, other staff a don't give a damn.

Generally speaking, there are enough of the former such that we can accurately say that most of the companies do indeed care.

However, the approvals process isn't a result of this. Rather, it's a contractual stipulation that the Japanese generally demand.

Still, regardless of where it comes from, it can help contribute to quality translating.

-t
la_contessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Japanese get to see D.Gray-man and Kaze no Stigma free

This argument has always bugged me. No, they do NOT get anime "free" on tv--they have to pay cable bills just like everyone else (unless there's something I don't know about Japanese television providers?). There's also the opportunity cost of tuning in at a certain time, and the additional cost of a VCR/DVD player and blank media if they aren't in front of the tv when the episode comes on. If you want the "authentic" Japanese anime-watching feel, you should 1. pay your own internet bill; 2. only watch one episode per week; and 3. watch that episode on the exact same day and time every week. Further, since the show would be making money from the sale of merchandise and advertising space during commercial breaks, you should at least watch all the commercials (which no fansubbing group that I know of leaves in, and only a few raw providers do), or even pause the show for three minutes every so often. If you take shortcuts when you watch . . . your "anime is free in Japan" argument crashes and burns, because you're paying LESS for a BETTER watching experience.
Cephus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:
1. pay your own internet bill;

I do, thanks.

Quote:
2. only watch one episode per week;

Since the fansubbers typically only release one episode per week, no problem.

Quote:
3. watch that episode on the exact same day and time every week.

In an age of timeshifting, hardly anyone does that.

Quote:
Further, since the show would be making money from the sale of merchandise and advertising space during commercial breaks, you should at least watch all the commercials (which no fansubbing group that I know of leaves in, and only a few raw providers do), or even pause the show for three minutes every so often.

Sorry but no. The advertisers pay to have the OPPORTUNITY to put their commercials in front of POTENTIAL customers, there is no obligation on the part of the viewer to buy anything or even to watch the commercials. I don't watch commercials on American TV, why would I watch them on Japanese TV?

Besides, what's the point of watching commercials for products you can't buy to begin with?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Cephus wrote:
That's why I said relatively straightforward, certainly there are some terms that don't translate well and then you have to transliterate and decide how to best convey the thought in another language that doesn't have a straight equivalent. In a lot of cases, you just have to come up with something close but that's how translations have been done for centuries.
I just want to point out that transliteration doesn't come into play here -- transliteration is changing the writing of one language into the writing of another, without translating the meaning. For instance, ブリーチ is normally transliterated as "Bleach," but apparently ultra-purists prefer "buriichi" Rolling Eyes
Cephus wrote:
Quote:
Part of the reason for sending the translation back to the original writer is to check to see if the decisions made were the right ones; that is, if they would be more faithful to the spirit of the original work than alternate varieties.
Most of the time, the original writer doesn't speak English to begin with so it's not going to help much to show the translated script, they won't have a clue.
I"ve heard about the "company contracts require translation approvals, so official subs > fansubs" thing before, and I've had some of the same questions that've been raised in the last few pages of the thread. As tempest says, yeah, the Japanese companies likely have an "approvals dude" who understands English at a much higher level than the average Japanese person. And I'm sure they will know if something is translated incorrectly, distorts the original meaning, or has English mechanical errors. But do they know what makes for "good" English, as in English that is not only accurate to the meaning, but is also natural, flowing, and enjoyable to read? With some lines in DVD subs, I have to wonder if/how they got that seal of approval. Consider this line at 21:40 of episode 13 (TV) / 6 (DVD) of MoHS:
Fansub: "Today's duties were the first in a long time."
English dub: "Things like today haven't happened in a long time."
DVD subtitle: "Today hadn't happened in a while."
Yes Itsuki, it's amazing that today didn't happen yesterday or the day before yesterday Rolling Eyes I'm not saying the fansub is "definitive," but I'm providing it because it makes more sense and sounds better than the DVD version. And while I'm on the subject, the Haruhi DVDs in general are a case of "right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing" when it comes to the dub vs. the subtitles. In that same episode, the characters use the term 神人 [shinjin], which is rendered as:
Fansub: <Celestials>
English dub: Shinjin (pronunciation's off, but they leave it in Japanese with an explanation by Itsuki)
DVD subtitle: Divine men -- yeah, the kanji mean "god" and "human," but if it's left as "Shinjin" in the dub, why not in the subtitles?
Cephus wrote:
Quote:
Incorrect choices can lead to emphasis of the wrong things, a character that doesn't have the same general personality as the original, or, worst of all, direct misinformation.
All things I've seen more often in official translations than in fansubs. Sure, the fansub groups may get it wrong occasionally, but they usually have a huge group of people watching that catch it and get it corrected, which is why you get fansubs being released in second and even third versions. You don't see that in official subs.
Well, you do see some official v2s, like the Gundam Zeta boxed set with dubtitles vs. the singles with more accurate subs. Evangelion Platinum had its subtitles retouched from the old DVDs. And apparently Rightstuf will redo the subtitles for Lost Universe, to some extent. I spot-checked episode 20 of Slayers, and Funimation didn't do much with CPM's subtitles, aside from some re-timing and punctuation edits. They didn't add honorifics to make the subtitles more "Funimation-esque," either.

But in general, I share Cephus's concerns about DVD subtitles. I know they're reacting to "anime fan wants" for subtitles that are as faithful as possible, but it is possible to have faithful, accurate subtitles without sounding clunky and over-literal. Maybe it's just my choices of fansub groups and series to watch, but lately I've seen more clunky DVD-subtitles and fansub subtitles that are slightly less accurate, but more enjoyable as English reading material. With that in mind, it's time once again for the "Fansub or DVD?" game. These are from episode 2 of Yumeria, subtitles taken from the ADV DVD and the fansub group that was considered to be the best choice for this series. Honorifics omitted since they would be giveaways. Answers in spoilers.
Quote:
A) I was together with you, Tomokazu, inside of the dream.
B) Tomokazu, I was in the dream with you last night.spoiler[Fansub=B]
Quote:
Context: Mizuki has run into Tomokazu's bedroom and jumped on top of him in a slightly "compromising" position, and Nanase says this line upon seeing them.
A) My my, you two seem intimate...
B) Oh my, good friends...spoiler[Fansub=A]
Quote:
A) Do you think that because of what happened in the dream, the body is tired, after all?
B) So, did my body react to the occurrences in the dream, I wonder...spoiler[Fansub=B]
Quote:
A) Stop misunderstanding of your own accord! Who are you anyway?!
B) Don't misunderstand! Who are you, anyway? spoiler[Fansub=B]
Quote:
A) It must be her! I can't think of anyone else who could make this situation so complicated.
B)It's that person! I can't think of anyone else who would have the power to bring forth these circumstances.spoiler[Fansub=A]
Quote:
A) Tests are an evil system created by society to judge a person's ability based on numbers!
B) The test is the system of the devil which society devised, in order to judge the superiority or inferiority of man numerically!spoiler[Fansub=A]
Quote:
A) I came to privately tutor Tomokazu who must take a follow-up test.
B) Um, I came to help Tomokazu with his supplementary exam as his personal tutor. spoiler[Fansub=B]
Quote:
A) You studied very hard for this, you'll do just fine, right?
B) You studied that much everyday, so you'll be alright, won't you? spoiler[Fansub=A]
Quote:
A) This isn't something that is forgiven by crying.
B) You won't be forgiven by crying.spoiler[Fansub=B]
Quote:
A) It's surprisingly convenient that a word notebook can be brought to the dream world. B) You can also bring your vocabulary notes along with you, how convenient!spoiler[Fansub=A]
Japanese lines available on request, but I believe these are all relatively close in meaning, so there isn't a huge gap in accuracy. The difference is in the phrasing, and in some cases like the "you two seem intimate" line, it affects the feel or the humor of the scene.
Cephus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I"ve heard about the "company contracts require translation approvals, so official subs > fansubs" thing before, and I've had some of the same questions that've been raised in the last few pages of the thread.

Since we've been talking about whether the additional time results in a superior translation, whether or not it's required is really irrelevant.

Quote:
As tempest says, yeah, the Japanese companies likely have an "approvals dude" who understands English at a much higher level than the average Japanese person.

But that's not going back to the original writer, as argued, it's going back to some "approvals dude".

Quote:
The difference is in the phrasing, and in some cases like the "you two seem intimate" line, it affects the feel or the humor of the scene.

Excellent examples deleted but going through it, if I had to pick which one I preferred, I'd have to pick the fansubbed version about 85+% of the time.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
Wow....those are some awkwardly written subs on ADV's part. I've never seen anything that bad from them before.
Cephus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
Wow....those are some awkwardly written subs on ADV's part. I've never seen anything that bad from them before.

Usually ADV isn't that bad, at least not more recent ADV. I usually have a bigger problem with Bandai Visual's dubtitles.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Cephus wrote:
Xenofan 29A wrote:

Usually ADV isn't that bad, at least not more recent ADV. I usually have a bigger problem with Bandai Visual's dubtitles.

You mean how unflinchingly directly translated BVUSA's stuff is? I don't have as much of a problem with it as some seem to, but it has bothered me at times.

Now...the Manga subs for The End of Evangelion, THOSE are awful.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I just had to add this . . .

For those of you fortunate enough to never encounter a manga cow allow me to direct you to prime hunting grounds. Visit Fresno, CA, USA. Shocked In a location known as Riverpark, Manga Cows can be found regularly and in high numbers. My personal favorite was at a Borders. A girl literally stacked about 10 manga vols and carried them into the nearby poetry section where her friends had already gathered with additional vols.

They piss me off. They ruin what-would-have-been decent book. They force to buy only new releases immediately because then I have a chance to go through 20 or so books before I find an unabused copy. Yes, I make a lot of online purchases (for someone looking for a webiste see justmanga.com they shrink wrap vol prior to shipping = to damage in shipping) but this is not the point. The point is that you are taking something for FREE and DAMAGING it. To go to the car analogy, it would be like taking a test drive, crashing the car into tiny pieces, and then leaving the lot without so much as a sorry. It is wrong. Plain and simple.

Yes, checking out a book prior to purchase is acceptable as long as you are careful. However, there is no need to set up camp in the bookstore.

P.S. Also placing the section up front does work. Fresno permits the act of grazing even though the manga section is in front of the cash registers. Also, books from the back room are not necessarily "new". I have requested some books from the back that have been grazed over heavily.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:04 am Reply with quote
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel wrote:
Answerman wrote:
I doubt even using fancy foil or reflective paper would help catch the eye of someone scanning a wall of 1.5 centimeter-thick spines.

Damn Americans, and their not knowing metric. You can't even exaggerate it properly!

1.5 cm is actually much closer to the size of a regular DVD case, whereas a thinpack case is in and around 0.5 cm thick.

Actually, the measurements are 14mm for a standard keepcase and 7mm for a "thinpack" case (inserts have a 6.75mm wide spine). (BTW, CDs and DVDs are 1.2mm thick.)
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Answerman wrote:
I doubt even using fancy foil or reflective paper would help catch the eye of someone scanning a wall of 1.5 centimeter-thick spines.

Damn Americans, and their not knowing metric. You can't even exaggerate it properly!

1.5 cm is actually much closer to the size of a regular DVD case, whereas a thinpack case is in and around 0.5 cm thick.

Actually, the measurements are 14mm for a standard keepcase and 7mm for a "thinpack" case (inserts have a 6.75mm wide spine). (BTW, CDs and DVDs are 1.2mm thick.)

Still, 14mm is only 1mm off from 1.5cm.

Quote:
They piss me off. They ruin what-would-have-been decent book. They force to buy only new releases immediately because then I have a chance to go through 20 or so books before I find an unabused copy. Yes, I make a lot of online purchases (for someone looking for a webiste see justmanga.com they shrink wrap vol prior to shipping = to damage in shipping) but this is not the point. The point is that you are taking something for FREE and DAMAGING it. To go to the car analogy, it would be like taking a test drive, crashing the car into tiny pieces, and then leaving the lot without so much as a sorry. It is wrong. Plain and simple.

Yes, checking out a book prior to purchase is acceptable as long as you are careful. However, there is no need to set up camp in the bookstore.

I agree, there is a difference between reading and damaging. I can see reading the first two chapters to get the idea of the series, but reading the whole series in the store is the same as stealing it. People who bend the covers and ripping pages/covers should pay for the copy. Even at a discounted price, I wouldn't buy a volume a manga cow defaced. lol setting up camp at a book store. Pretty much manga cows live in those stores.

Last edited by mistress_reebi on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote
stuckinfresno wrote:

For those of you fortunate enough to never encounter a manga cow allow me to direct you to prime hunting grounds. Visit Fresno, CA, USA. Shocked In a location known as Riverpark, Manga Cows can be found regularly and in high numbers. My personal favorite was at a Borders. A girl literally stacked about 10 manga vols and carried them into the nearby poetry section where her friends had already gathered with additional vols.

Do they have chairs in Borders? I don't have one near me, and the last time I went to a Borders was a long time ago. In the Barnes and Noble that I visit they have standard wood chairs near the windows, and two or three groups of four armchairs. Ironically, four of these armchairs are right next to the graphic novel section, so I always find manga cows sitting in them. Still, the store doesn't do anything about it, and I don't want to complain (because I would feel like a jerk).
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:

Still, 14mm is only 1mm off from 1.5cm.

Actually, what I forgot to point out is that Mr. Bertschy gives the impression that thinpacks' spines are 1.5 centimeters thick—a much larger error. The quote in context:

Quote:
If those shelves were stocked with thinpak cases, you'd have an ocean of little tiny unreadable spines, and none of them would stand out at all. I doubt even using fancy foil or reflective paper would help catch the eye of someone scanning a wall of 1.5 centimeter-thick spines.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:

Actually, what I forgot to point out is that Mr. Bertschy gives the impression that thinpacks' spines are 1.5 centimeters thick—a much larger error. The quote in context:

Quote:
If those shelves were stocked with thinpak cases, you'd have an ocean of little tiny unreadable spines, and none of them would stand out at all. I doubt even using fancy foil or reflective paper would help catch the eye of someone scanning a wall of 1.5 centimeter-thick spines.

I measured it with a tape measure and apparently got it wrong. Whoops.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
[/quote] Do they have chairs in Borders? [/quote]

No they willingly sit on the ground!

But there is a cafe in the back. And yeah for some reason Barnes and Noble sets up big, comfy lounge chairs right next to the manga section. Yet for some strange reason Borders books get more damaged? Weird.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14