• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-17]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
mistress_reebi wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel wrote:
Damn Americans, and their not knowing metric. You can't even exaggerate it properly!

1.5 cm is actually much closer to the size of a regular DVD case, whereas a thinpack case is in and around 0.5 cm thick.

Actually, the measurements are 14mm for a standard keepcase and 7mm for a "thinpack" case (inserts have a 6.75mm wide spine). (BTW, CDs and DVDs are 1.2mm thick.)

Still, 14mm is only 1mm off from 1.5cm.

Actually, what I forgot to point out is that Mr. Bertschy gives the impression that thinpacks' spines are 1.5 centimeters thick—a much larger error. The quote in context:

Quote:
If those shelves were stocked with thinpak cases, you'd have an ocean of little tiny unreadable spines, and none of them would stand out at all. I doubt even using fancy foil or reflective paper would help catch the eye of someone scanning a wall of 1.5 centimeter-thick spines.

Oh, okay. I think he meant 1.5mm spines for exagguration.

Quote:
But there is a cafe in the back. And yeah for some reason Barnes and Noble sets up big, comfy lounge chairs right next to the manga section. Yet for some strange reason Borders books get more damaged? Weird.

At Chapters, they have a security rail (I don't know what they are called but they are those post things that ring when people steal stuff) before the café. It's good because manga cows can't spill their drinks on the books. I can see why they have the comfy chairs by the manga section.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I measured it with a tape measure and apparently got it wrong. Whoops.
Don't feel bad, tape measures can be hell to read correctly sometimes. Especially if you're a little tired and not really paying 100% attention to which tiny little line is which.

By the by, am I the only human being alive who dislikes thinpacks? To me, they seem really flimsy.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
By the by, am I the only human being alive who dislikes thinpacks? To me, they seem really flimsy.

To me, they are a bit flimsy. I prefer M-Locks (which only come in the standard 14mm width or larger), and to not trim, fold, or mutilate the cover inserts (except when they are a millimeter or two wider than they should be). I see it from the viewpoint of a collector, in which not only the media, but also the (original) packaging is important. (I realize that other people value space and/or the media (the DVD) over everything else, but that is not how I personally see it—not that I am trying to force that opinion on anyone else.)

An example of a store with different case widths.

BTW, I remembered that there is a Japanese term similar to "manga cow", and thanks to Orihara Kaoru in Anime on DVD's Manga News & Information Forum I found it: "tachiyomi"—"reading while standing (in a bookstore)".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14