• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-17]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Shrink wrapping doesn't work. I've seen a girl take out a boxcutter and slice through the wrap and sadly what looked to be part of the book too. I can always tells which titles she's read because they have a nice line across the spine.
i'd say something to her but...she looks a bit too evil with that boxcutter.

Report her to the store staff. They have good reason to kick her out.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quote
About shrink-wrapping, I mentioned this in another post, but one option is to have all books shrink-wrapped, leaving one unwrapped for people to browse through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:53 am Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
I believe entertainment is best enjoyed in its viewer's native tongue.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree vehemently on this point. For one thing, I'd have trouble finding Afrikaans dubs of anime, and even if there were such a thing, I doubt I would enjoy them as much, as Afrikaans tends to sound extremely corny to me when it tries to be serious (on television or elsewhere). English, which is my second language, sounds more appropriate than Afrikaans in most cases. I would probably be more tolerant of anime dubs if they improved the acting.

But to me (and a lot of other people, I'm sure), it's exciting to watch something in a foreign language. After all, every language has its own unique sound and flavour, so it should not come as a shock to you that people might find a particular language to work better for them for particular media. I personally find myself fascinated by the workings of the Japanese language and would watch almost anything in Japanese if I had the option.
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
I doubt even using fancy foil or reflective paper would help catch the eye of someone scanning a wall of 1.5 centimeter-thick spines.

Damn Americans, and their not knowing metric. You can't even exaggerate it properly!

1.5 cm is actually much closer to the size of a regular DVD case, whereas a thinpack case is in and around 0.5 cm thick.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quote
Extra packaging:
I really can't say that I've found any packaging to be all that excessive. True, there are the boxes that come with various LE releases (Eureka seveN comes to mind), but I simply flatten the box after extracting the contents and recycle it. No harm, no foul. Same goes for any insert that's nothing more than a free consumer information questionnaire. Unless it's got some merit to the release, it's gone. However, for forced digipack/thinpack collections (Requiem From the Darkness, Stellvia), I will keep the empty jewel cases. Almost inevitably, somewhere down the line I'll get a DVD whose jewel case has been smashed to hell. Always helps to have an extra lying around for such situations.

I've also considered thinpacking discs myself, but I don't think I'll ever do it. I like the artboxes that the singles come with, and thinpacking DVDs will leave me with a pile of artboxes, along with no idea what to do with them.

Mixed Japanese-English sentences:
I really have no strong feeling about this, mostly since there's no one around me that actually does such things. I'm much more a stickler about those around me abusing the English language. Seriously, whenever the whole " 's " misuse rears its head, a little part of me dies inside.

Maybe I should think about switching my major...

The Answerfan segment:
Except for the threat of criminal prosecution response, these were all remaks that I wasn't surprised to see. And even if all these conditions were met, then another line in the sand would be drawn, and so forth...

And to end:
Is anyone else experiencing this error right now? Currently, the credits normally found on the bottom of the page being forced to the right, with the Recent Articles column now pushed to below the end of the Answerman column.

Screencap:
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/NGE1113/ANN6.jpg

(I apologize for the super-crappy video quality, but my CPU's device manager is at war with my video card, hence the VGA flashback.)
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
DVDs: As complete collections, thinpacks are definately awesome and a great way to save space. But, most of the thinpack collections I know of get rid of all inserts and (probably more importantly) the on disc extras, so there is a major negative. I'm not sure about collections that use regular size cases, though; the only one I know of to get rid of the inserts was "Excel Saga." If anyone knows, please tell me. And since I saw it mentioned, what the heck are digipacks? I've wondered that for a little while, now.

Quote:
Hey Answerman, why do some fans use random Japanese words in their English sentences and spelling things wrong so they seem more Japanese?

Maybe its just the fact that I've only been a "hardcore otaku" for a few years, but I have yet to run into this stereotype, or any other big ones for that matter. Well, okay, my parents say "Anta baka?!" too much, but that is my own fault for showing them any Japanese "Evangelion." Why do I always end up referencing "Eva?"

The only "language" related issues that get to me are when some ignorant kid refers to manga as anime or seeing them pluralized as "animes" and "mangas." At least I can understand and accept the latter.

Mangacows: You have to admit, using a bookstore to try out new manga is hard to pass up. I do worry somewhat about who may have read the book before me (perhaps wipe the cover down with a wet tissue if I buy it), but I'm not going to freak out that much. As for shrink-wrapping: I'd never rip it off myself, but if its something I've really wanted to check out and there isn't any wrapping, then unless there is a "content" reason for me to avoid it, I'll probably read it. How else could I have read even a few pages of "GitS 2?"

Quote:
or asking me to pay sixty bucks for two eps of Gunbuster with no freakin' English dub.

With the original "Gunbuster," at least there was a reason for there not being a dub. Check Wikipedia over here. With "Diebuster," on the other hand, there was simply no excuse. None.

Quote:
and learn at least 20-40 Kanji, which should be good enough for the 2nd grade level.

What I'm about to say is a throw away comment, but I'd be surprised if nobody could memorize the Kanji for "1", "2", and "3" (or ichi, ni, and san, if you prefer).

There seems to be a background discussion on what language anime is more enjoyable in, so I'll just say this: Anyone who tries not to watch anime in Japanese is misguided, and the same holds true for those who try to avoid dubs. If you watch a certain anime mostly in one language, you should at least try the other once. I'm not saying anyone actually falls under these categories, I'm just using examples.

EDIT: Maybe "misguided" is a bit strong, but I can't think of a better way to put it.

Answerfans: I'm surprised someone actually sent in that they'd stop if there was the danger of a lawsuit. Wouldn't any sane individual stop at that point?

Sorry, but I don't think my answer to the new question is worth sending in, so its another post: Generally, no. I don't remember encountering any of these stereotypes I always hear about, and most of the anime fans whose opinions I hear from are from this forum and reviews on sites like Amazon. Of course, we have the "Flake of the Week"s and Youtube comments to prove that there are plenty of people I don't want to associate with.

Quote:
And to end:
Is anyone else experiencing this error right now? Currently, the credits normally found on the bottom of the page being forced to the right, with the Recent Articles column now pushed to below the end of the Answerman column.

No, its not just you.

Last edited by DRWii on Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:07 am; edited 3 times in total
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:26 am Reply with quote
RabbitRevolution wrote:
If you are a language purist, I suggest you stay AWAY from Japan. Practically the entire Japanese society "misuses" and "abuses" English vs. a small percentage of Japanese language "abusers" within the already small American anime-fan population. Certainly everyone here has heard anime theme openings filled with bad and random English. And bad/random English is not just in anime of course, you can find it throughout Japanese live-action movies and TV, as well as in popular songs. Misused English and other languages (like French) are especially popular in anything having to do with youth culture, because lots of Japanese youth apparently think foreign words and foreign culture are cool. Basically, this is what all of those young American kids who love anime and Japan think as well. Yep, see the cultural similarities?

Misuse? Maybe. Abuse? Hardly. Most Japanese people take some English in school so that these random uses are not entirely nonsense to the majority of the population. At a translation level, the random English in the songs actually makes sense on many occasions.

Also, this is not about the purity of the language. This is about throwing random words from other languages into your normal speaking because you think it makes you sound 1% more like their culture. The majority of these abuses are single word swaps. Nobody cares if you want to speak that way among your peers. However, running around public screaming "That is so kawaii" makes a good number of us wish that we were completely oblivious.

Quote:
Anyway, my point is that to complain only about English-speaking Japanese language "abusers" and not vice versa is a double-standard. Neither group should really be criticized, in my opinion. <snip> Learning about people different from us and trying to immerse ourselves in their culture is fun. <snip> However, I see no harm in using random Japanese occasionally for fun. It's your problem if you want to act like a snob about it and criticize anyone for not being a language purist.

There is no double standard here. Have you ever heard of someone in Japan going "Kore wa za shizzle" in a store? Japanese and English are both constantly evolving. A lot of English had been assimilated into Japanese in some form. Therefore, the use of these words is actually part of their cultural vocabulary. However. very few Japanese words have been assimilated into English.

Adding random bits of Japanese to your vocabulary is hardly immersing yourself in their culture. It's just trying to pretend to be something that you clearly aren't since you are only able to substitute a single word. It's one thing to speak completely in Japanese sentences or randomly switch between full Japanese and English sentences. It's another to scream out "This is sugoku pretty. I must buy this kawaii stuff." If someone speaks to you in public, they expect English that they understand. They do not want to hear random words that they may or may not know thrown in.

In summary:
Good: I want sashimi with a samurai at the dojo.
Bad: According to keikaku.
crilix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:32 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I particularly enjoy how so many downloaders insist the Japanese track is so superior, but they couldn't tell Akira Ishida from Ryo Horikawa & really seem to care less who's speaking as long as it's in Japanese.
If you're a seiyuu-ota that's all fine and dandy, but don't expect every other fan to be like you. Personally, I love information, but what I value when listening to the Japanese audio tracks/fansubs is the quality of the delivered performance. I could care less if I were listening to Inoue Marina or Nabatame Hitomi; what I'm expecting from the character in question is a fitting and quality voice performance. I could care less if Matsumoto Kana was named Kawasumi Ayako; her performance would still suck to no end.
Karine wrote:
It seems to me that people watch fansubs and read manga in bookstores because they feel they are entitled to get what they want without having to pay for it. I see that attitude in many who are around me and am guilty of it myself. When will we stop thinking "I deserve to get what I desire when ever I so desire it - because I'm special"?
You've been thoroughly brainwashed by contemporary English anime news media. Why I download fansubs (and I think I'm being pretty honest here) is because there is no other cheap alternative to follow recent Japanese anime. Don't assume that every other fan likes to wait patiently for their DVDs to arrive or for a show to air on Anime Network just because you know "honest" fans that are willing to wait and still be able to stand the price and the narrowed-down selection. I'm not saying this as a fan who's not willing to pay for what he likes, I'm saying this as an unreasonably reasonable otaku who spends most of what he earns on anime related products. I know I will never be able to afford every DVD of every series I enjoy, but at the same time I know the Japanese get their anime for the cost of my Cable subscription + a few video on-demand services per month--and that totals to A LOT less than I spend for anime goods on monthly bases.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:43 am Reply with quote
The manager of my local borders once got so mad at a manga cow he started throwing shit at them. I don't know what happened, I'm just standing there, getting the monthly releases, and then suddnely I see pens and crap flying at him and the man screaming.

He doesn't work there anymore but it was still a damned bizzare thing to see.

And I admit I'll read books in the store - for example I'm pretty sure I've read all of DBZ (I'll buy it when Viz BIg comes out, I swear!) but I try to make sure to not bend or ruin the book.
Pocky_aDDict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:44 am Reply with quote
Those J-wons piss me off... Integrating Japanese words/phrases into your english sentences doesn't make you anymore Japanese than you already aren't. If you're gonna speak English, speak English. Likewise for Japanese (although, no one's going to understand you if you've learned everything from anime).

Just to be honest, I have sat at a bookstore and read books, but I only read the books that looks like they've been read in. I also don't bend the covers/spine, generally keeping it in the same condition I picked it up as. I definitely would not want to buy a used book with the same price as a new one. Hopefully kids these days will use more courtesy.

I agree with what the writers have said about fansubs. It would be so awesome to get spankin' new anime straight to your TV (with, or without subs; either is fine for me). Also, in the fansubbing world, my group probably would stop subbing a series/distributing only if we get a C&D or when the R1 DVD is released.

Oh boy. The new question has actually been going through a few anime blogs recently. Quite the hot topic, really. Wonder what writers will submit....
Axe-336

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:04 am Reply with quote
Ha, I loved the letter about the overused Shonen dialogue. But how could you complain about that? That's be like complaining that the guy doesn't make up his mind at the end of a harem series. You should go into the series expecting that stuff to happen and then be pleasently surprised if they take a fresh approach. Of course if a person is brand new to anime they don't know these things yet and have a right to be frustrated, but thats when you simply assure them that its part of the way things work.

Manga Cows eh? I should have realized such a thing existed since I have, on occasion, read through an entire volume while in the store. However it was only ever the first volume and to see if I wanted to buy it (And I treat it like the unpurchased merchandise that it is, with the greatest care). I personally don't know if I'll like a manga until I've read the whole first volume since the first chapter is so much of a teaser most of the time, but thats getting off the topic. I have many times been distraught to find manga with the pages fanned out, it makes me sad.

I liked the "Bleeding edge" guy in the Answerfan responses. Sure I'm not quite that bleeding edge, but I share the desire to see cosplays that aren't from Bleach or whatever has just come out on Adult Swim (I was so excited to find a single picture someone else had taken of a single Nana cosplay at Katsucon back in February) By the way, my prediction for the big cosplay thing at Kstsucon this year: combination Haruhi and D.Gray-Man. Even from a standpoint not in reference to cosplay, I wouldn't look at a lot of series if they weren't free simply because I wouldn't hear of them. "Baccano!"? Never would have seen it. Without fansubs I would only know AIR TV as "Series from the creators of Haruhi!" Not that anyone here is disagreeing, but yeah it'd take something drastic for me to stop watching fansubs.

Finally, since I doubt I'll get published for Answerfan, I'll just go ahead and say that I'm friends with someone who embarasses me as part of the anime community. I didn't invite him to marathon with another friend because I knew he'd be talking about this and that nonsensical thing the whole time and probably throwing out random Japanese. *Sigh* He makes me sad, but at the same time he was my first supplier back before fansubs were everywhere and Answerman could complain about cluttery karaoke graphics, so I can't truly dislike him.
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:08 am Reply with quote
Karine wrote:
It seems to me that people watch fansubs and read manga in bookstores because they feel they are entitled to get what they want without having to pay for it. I see that attitude in many who are around me and am guilty of it myself. When will we stop thinking "I deserve to get what I desire when ever I so desire it - because I'm special"?

When you start agreeing with, "I deserve to get what I desire whenever I so desire it--because I'm normal." People are supposed to get what they want.

Lyrai wrote:
The manager of my local borders once got so mad at a manga cow he started throwing shit at them. I don't know what happened, I'm just standing there, getting the monthly releases, and then suddnely I see pens and crap flying at him and the man screaming.

He doesn't work there anymore but it was still a damned bizzare thing to see.

I'm curious, does anyone have an example of a more, er, stable bookstore-employee who enforced a rule against manga-cow-ism? Because it seems that by and large, bookstores are OK with the practice.

Zac wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

Howabout just asking the store to special order you a copy, or better yet, have them set aside unmolested stuff for you? They call you, you come in and pick it up. Everyone's happy.

Why don't they just go to the library where the books are supposed to be free?

Because the library has fewer, older manga. I'm sure many of them do frequent the library when they want to re-read manga. But if they just want the new stuff, that's not going to be there.

That also doesn't answer Honya-chan's question. What is wrong with special ordering a copy if you want it pristine? Or else go to one of those thin bookstores in the mall where there's no aisle space and all the manga are against the wall near the register (I have several of these in my area--are they popular elsewhere?).

Sandstar wrote:

So, rather than trying to get people to stop being selfish, amoral bastards, you should restructure how you get manga so those people can continue to read their manga for free? That's awesome.

(BTW, "I'm a selfish, amoral bastard" is what most of the reasons for downloading fansubs boil down to.)

That's rather between the bookstore and them, isn't it? I suppose you could threaten to withold your business from the store unless they cleared the aisles, but unless you have a group of customers with you, you're unlikely to get far. And if we're speaking of moral, what's the moral status of a person who interferes with a healthy, chosen relationship between a consumer and a business for his own convenience?

On to fan-Japanese. Sometimes when I am speaking or thinking in Japanese (I'll say eh-to instead of er, stuff like that), I'll realize that a lot of the words I want are English cognates. So it cycles back to English.

Answerman wrote:
I don't know why folks like this seem to think that purposefully using bizarro phoenetic Japanese spellings of English words based on kana makes you a "better" or "more pure" anime fan.

So what does make you a better and more pute anime fan, that has similar ease of use?
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:16 am Reply with quote
It has to be said that fandom (Anime, Science Fiction, Fantasy, whatever) has a tendency to attract really annoying people. Obnoxious loudmouth know-it-alls, people with woefully inadequate or just non-existent social skills, people who don't appear to know what soap is for, and so on.
Basically, the sort of people you really do NOT wish to be associated with.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:45 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I've always thought it was the elitism that was the biggest draw to downloading. I hate them also. There's so much out there, who needs to download? So many of these downloaders(particularly in the last couple yrs) wouldn't know a good older title like Slayers if someone handed it to them for free--they're too busy beeing all superior because they know what happened in this or that title that just aired this week.
I agree with this, judging from the younger folks at anime club. It's just the latest, greatest, newest stuff they want to see, and if something shows hints of being hand-drawn or from the 90s, they'll reject it outright. Even something like Fantastic Children from 2004 gets avoided for its "retro" style. And I've always felt like there's really no need for English-speaking anime fans to know everything that's new in Japan. I mean, if there were no fansubs, then the newest DVD releases would be the "latest, greatest" thing that everyone wants to keep up on. It would just require a setback of about 1.5 years in our "mental chonometers."

I didn't send in an answer to "Hey AnswerFans"; I'm not sure if I'll ever truly stop getting fansubs (short of the shutdown of the whole scene, and the legal thing), but there are some possibilities.

1) License more of the anime I like. At several points in time, I've heard things from the companies like "Almost everything gets licensed in the pre-production stage, so there's no need for fansubs" or "If you've heard of it, there are companies that are trying to bring it over." I don't dislike the current body of licensed/officially released anime, but as I've admitted to before, I'm a fan(boy) of dating-sim based anime. Many of the fansub series I DL are from this genre, and there's generally not a good chance of them getting licensed. Sure, I've gotten a bit lucky with To Heart, Rumbling Hearts, Shuffle!, AIR, and maybe Kanon '06, but to be honest, I can't envision any bidding wars over series like Da Capo, Gift Eternal Rainbow, W Wish, Lamune, Crescent Love, To Heart ~Remember my Memories, To Heart 2, Kakyuusei 2, or Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku wo. If I thought there were better odds of these series being brought over, I might not DL them. Lately, I actually haven't been getting fansubs of series that seem mainstream/likely to be licensed, so many of the summer con announcements like Darker than Black, Devil May Cry, and TTGL didn't "affect" me.

And it's not limited to dating-sim adaptations -- I'm not seeing any of the more serious slice-of-life / drama series like Hanbun no tsuki ga noboru sora, REC, Shinigami no Ballad, Asatte no Houkou, or Zettai Shounen show up on the company radar, either. I understand they have to license things that have a better chance of selling, so until things change, they'll do what they have to do, and I'll do what I have to do.

2) Change/improve subtitling practices. I've been over this in the past, so I'll be brief. I don't believe the "da fansubz r alot better cuz dey have karaoke!!" mantra, but when some DVDs leave out so much in the way of onscreen text, explanations, and even song translations that I have to keep the fansubs around as a reference, there's got to be something amiss. Or there are cases where the DVD subs are perfectly professional and more accurate than the fansubs, but they read like they just took the raw translation from their vaunted Japanese-native-speaker translators and plunked it into the subtitles without any editing. That may save time/money on their part, but it results in cases like Kannazuki no Miko and, debatably, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya where the fansubs feel more "flowing" and enjoyable. To me, anyway.

3) If roughly 8 or 9 of the best-quality, most ethical fansub groups were to shut down, I'd be much less enthusiastic about DLing from the remaining groups. And I have no doubt that if the Japanese producers and R1 distributors were to issue a joint statement of "Fansubbing used to be acceptable, but now we feel it's just piracy and we don't want any more fansubs of new series," those groups really would respect their wishes and close up shop. Of course, the problem with that course of action for the companies is that those groups would be replaced by new "neo-fansubber" groups with even less respect for licensing/ethics. Maybe a few more C&Ds are in order, preferably sooner than the "2 episodes left to air" point in the series. I mean, ADV has sent numerous pleasant missives to torrent trackers and distribution groups, yet they didn't do anything when fansubs of Chevalier continued to completion. And that license was announced after 7 or 8 episodes had aired.

Manga Cows: Getting manga at conventions is a good way to go -- you're supporting smaller, anime/manga-specific dealers, and the prices are in line with RightStuf.com sale prices. Plus, those dealers don't let people get away with reading without paying. I've read parts of manga volumes in stores, but only with those "on the fence" series where I'm not sure if I'll like it or not. Although I do confess to reading the end of the Death Note manga just to see how it differed from the anime.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:03 am Reply with quote
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel wrote:
Damn Americans, and their not knowing metric. You can't even exaggerate it properly!
Ahaha it's the opposite with me when I read American novels - can't imagine all those miles and inches and pounds.
Thinpaks sound like a good idea, except I can't buy them where I live!

Japanese wannabe's are just downright annoying. Well actually any sort of extremist wannabes are annoying. Just ignore the juvenile ones and avoid the mature hard-core purists. Deliberately misspell things in your own language in order to worship another! Those people are sick.

DKL wrote:
I always had this nagging feeling that the dialogue in Claymore mostly consisted of numbers being said in English and people repeating key phrases...
You mean something like this? Very Happy

spoiler[[A long- and a short-haired claymore are getting into a messy fight with super awakened being #235. A curly-haired claymore appears suddenly and saves them both from certain death.]
Long hair: I can't believe this! She just killed the awakened being single-handedly!
Short hair: It can't be...that symbol...it's number so-and-so: Lolita of the Singing Whip! She's been known to fuse her yoki with the metal of the claymore to create a sub-spiritual matter that she can control at will. The result is an elastic, unbreakable whip which she wields with deadly proficiency.
Long hair: [gasp] Such strong yoki...
Short hair: Sending such a high-ranking warrior here to fight...the Organisation must be planning something...]

Repeat the above 1400X's
Nah, I know it's getting a bit formulaic but I'm not yet bored with it. At least its production qualities are high.

Quote:
why do people pay for mangas when u can just read them in the store. i read all of Naruto in the store and they never yelled at me, i also read Bleach and demon diarys. so this is a message to other people who like manga, u can just read it in the store, u dont have to pay.
One word: scary. It's very scary to think some people actually think like that. In Taiwan where I used to live the manga stores shrink-wrap EVERYTHING and you either buy them or get lost or face the shopkeeper's wrath. 99% of the manga stay intact and manga cows just get kicked out of the store. Our libraries don't even carry very many manga we have to go to the rentals for them. But then again, manga are much cheaper over there and no so far as I know they don't ever pirate manga.

The fawn's sooooo cute. I'm tired of the fansub debate for the time being.

Nice Answerfans question! I wonfer if Zac's had any personal experiences... Cool

Sorry for any spelling mistakes.

Last edited by nightmaregenie on Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14