• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Mushi Mushi?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kakalini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
You've made me want to pick up Sugar Sugar Rune again. I got up to the third book before stopping (I think the art style has a lot to do with it, as I prefer the Tokyo Mew Mew big-eyed shoujo style), but it sounds like it really gets a lot more interesting, so I'll have to check that out.

Heh, I agree about Serenity. I'm a very conservative Christian, but I couldn't stomach it. I bought the first volume (on sale, which is why I didn't look it over first), read it, and promptly gave it away at my [Christian homeschool group's] Christmas party. The recipient didn't like it that much, either. ^^;
I guess it just seems way too heavy-handed. I've never been one to enjoy being hit over the head with my own religion.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san/Dargonxtc: I couldn't buy anything online because I lack a credit card...and I shamefully admit I didn't know the bookstores could do that. Sad

Better too, since unlike anime *cough fansub cough* I usually can wait months for the manga I want and I prefer the book form to any scanlations anyway. I'd rather wait than to get a greasy used "new" manga from the shelves.

Wouldn't mind if the freeloaders are clean or caring of the books' condition, but man are they barbaric with the precious things.

Ah well, off to the bookstore with me! Now that I know there's this procedure I have no excuses to wait. Right after all these college orientation stuff is out of the way...hmm, I wonder if I can get a bookstore prize and use it for Sugar Sugar Rune? They seem to be giving out goodies to the Freshmen.
1stAgent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With the American football season nearly upon us, one major question arises: just how geeky is it to enter a NFL fantasy football league and name your team the Devil Bats?

Seriously. Humor me.

I got one better- I'm in a league full of midwestern otaku. Three teams are named after *rival* Eyeshield 21 teams. I got the Seyruun Nagas, so it's also a Slayers reference.

My other team: the Jovian Lizards. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
molloaggie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
Serenity isn't so bad when you consider that it's written for middle-school students, not for adults. It's language is a little weird though since the teenagers talking to Serenity tend to be too wordy, to adult-like sometimes. You also should consider that it's being sold in an individual chapter format, not a full graphic novel format. You'd have to read them all to see more development and characters.

There was this really neat poster in the one of the backgrounds of Serenity that I really liked: " Alcoholics don't have relationships. They take hostages." Oh so true!

I am surprised that there are so many people who have read Serenity. I didn't know it was so well known. I just found out about it a couple months ago and apparently they are planning a second printing with new covers. So, even though RTO's columnist thinks its terrible, there are a lot of people who have already voted with their pocketbook.

I have taken your column's advice and am now getting Sugar Sugar Rune. It's strange to be enjoying the same books as my eleven-year-old.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote
Oh, yes! The Last Uniform sounds right up my alley! Mr. Green I'd better pick that one up sometime in order to support Seven Seas so they can keep bringing us more yuri titles.

For some reason though, the parental controls on this computer won't let me read past the glowing section about Sugar Sugar Rune (thankfully The Last Uniform was the very first title covered), but I was surprised to see comments on Serentiy in here. From what I've read, I'm guessing it was one of the "Worst Manga You Ever Read?" I'm surprised that so many people have read it, to be honest. I thought it was more of a "niche" kind of title, having a Christian message and all. Anyway, I bought the first Serenity volume for my sister a while back, but I ended up reading it and buying more of it. I enjoy watching the title character go through the ups and downs of becoming a much better person than the "bad girl" she was at the beginning of the series. I also really like the art style. Granted, I started reading it well before I got into anime and manga (and have yet to finish the series), but I still very much enjoy it to this day. I really need to read the rest, as I think I've read the first 4 books. I'll have to check my sister's bookshelf. In case anyone is wondering, I'm a Christian (it's xymoronic that I'm a yuri fan, ain't it? Anime catgrin + sweatdrop), which is probably large part of way I love Serenity.

Quote:
With the American football season nearly upon us, one major question arises: just how geeky is it to enter a NFL fantasy football league and name your team the Devil Bats?

Seriously. Humor me.

I actually named my fantasy team just that this year. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akukaze

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
Yeah, C. S. Lewis did not intend for Narnia to be a religious allegory. If anything, both he and his good friend J. R. R. Tolkien hated alliegories, because they forced a religious message down the reader's throat instead of letting them enjoy the story itself.

Which is ironic because his one of his first books was called The Allegory of Love. Razz

But seriously, I think he was right which is why I have such a hard time taking Serenity seriously. It feels like watching a middle-aged man try and "relate" to a teenager just by throwing around a lot of slang words. I'm with Patachu in that I was raised Roman Catholic, and my view of Christianity clashes with the (excuse me for making a somehwat blanket statement here) new Evangelical view that God is our Buddy. The whole concept that Christianity can be "fun" just doesn't sit well with me. I was part of my church youth group and we sometimes did distinctly Christian things like have prayer circles, we sometimes did things that were just plain "good" such as making lunches for the homeless in Baltimore, and other times we just had fun. The group leaders never tried to make the Christian things fun, and didn't necessarily try to make the fun things Christian.

Basically, I'd like it better if I was either a New Evangelical or not a Christian at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3