• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Job Openings

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Heh, a lot of us have degrees in the sciences. I have a degree in biomedical engineering, and I believe Carlo has his in... chemical engineering?

This certainly helps explain the popularity of mecha shows, doesn't it? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
With the brains on staff, you guys could probably build a mecha.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
jgreen wrote:
I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and I write for Protoculture Addicts, so anything's possible. Smile

Heh, a lot of us have degrees in the sciences. I have a degree in biomedical engineering, and I believe Carlo has his in... chemical engineering?

Aerospace.

But yeah, I think the typical characteristics of anime attract a lot of technically minded people. We're talking about long-running, multi-layered storylines, imaginary worlds filled with complex scientific/pseudo-scientific/metaphysical/social systems, and tons of characters, so it's basically an information overload with tons of opportunities to geek out. So here come the geeks.

Not to trumpet my horn or anything, but scientists and engineers probably make good reviewers because of that -- they're trained to collect data (i.e. anime and manga storylines), create technical reports that summarize and analyze that data (i.e. reviews), and then arrive at a succinct conclusion (final grade).

And then, for the people with humanities degrees, you get, like ... Susan Napier. Laughing

jgreen wrote:
This certainly helps explain the popularity of mecha shows, doesn't it? Laughing

Unfortunately it doesn't explain the surplus of pedophiles. Confused
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

Aerospace.

Wow, not bad! Not to wander too far off topic (too late!), but do you guys actually work in the engineering field? I work as a design engineer for a defense contractor, myself.

Patachu wrote:
But yeah, I think the typical characteristics of anime attract a lot of technically minded people. We're talking about long-running, multi-layered storylines, imaginary worlds filled with complex scientific/pseudo-scientific/metaphysical/social systems, and tons of characters, so it's basically an information overload with tons of opportunities to geek out. So here come the geeks.

Not to trumpet my horn or anything, but scientists and engineers probably make good reviewers because of that -- they're trained to collect data (i.e. anime and manga storylines), create technical reports that summarize and analyze that data (i.e. reviews), and then arrive at a succinct conclusion (final grade).

That's about as good a theory as any I've ever heard. One thing I suck at, though, is giving final grades, as my opinion can go oscillate a half letter depending on which way the wind is blowing. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
After reading this thread I found out that a lot of you are very well rounded.

Call me if you guys need an animation major Wink
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
After reading this thread I found out that a lot of you are very well rounded.

All of us here at ANN come from a lot of different backgrounds. Engineering, compsci, languages, humanities... That's also what makes whatever we end up posting *feel* well-rounded: it's because a bunch of different people, who come from different backgrounds, looked at it, and then said good-to-go..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2