• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romance anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonie92

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
You might like Marmalade Boy, it's a bit hard to track down legally but you can get the first two sets relatively easily.

Miki's life is in shambles as her parents decide to get divorced. Not only are they getting divorced but they are switching partners with another couple. And that couple has a teen son Miki's age, Yuu. Slowly Miki starts to fall for Yuu.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
I recommend His and Her Circumstances. This is a great romance that follows high school students Yukino and Arima. There is no fanservice and no action, just great comedy and great romance as they help each other become the person they truly want to be.

Lovely Complex is another great romance show with really funny comedy. It's a little less serious than His and Her Circumstances but also set in high school. One of the things I really liked about this series is the attention to detail it puts in.

And to recommend a non-school based romance, I'll go with the unexpected and recommend Princess Tutu. Unlike the previous two, this title's main focus isn't romance, but there is still plenty around and has a big effect on the plot. A prince (Mytho) has his heart shattered, and Princess Tutu takes on the task of gathering the pieces. But many want Mytho's heart to stay broken, one being Princess Krahe who is deeply in love with him. One of the great things about the romance in this show is how is seems very straight-forward and simple at first, but as the series goes on it slowly gets more complex as secrets are revealed and perspective changes.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
A good question and worthy of a good answer, yes there are some excellent happy Romance series in spite of the trend among some writers and directors to try to make series that are NOT happy ...

some of the best are:

Ai Yori Aoshi which has two series, it starts out very good and has some good parts but beware that 2/3 of the way thru it becomes pretty bad, as they dump three competing female characters in who are none of them at all decent, in fact they are without exceptoin obnixious and interfere with the lovely main story. But if you can ignore or fast forward thru that you will have a lovely story.

Full Metal Panic - a great romance with alots of action and fun and adventure as well, not to be missed and there will eventually be an ending in Anime for now you have to read the Light Novels.

Ano Natsu de Matteru
A new series just out this year, one of the best and most realized romances tho the ending is not as happy as it might have been, but the art is wonderful and the characters wonderful. There is harem but it does NOT win out and you get a real romance true and real.

Amagami SS
A wonderful series of romances connected in a unique way, a school setting that is very well done too, and the art is classic and fine, an all around winner, and not to be missed.

Brighter than the Dawning Blue
A wonderful light hearted and at times rather funny series, with a good romance at the core, fun and and older one but good.

Hoshizora e Kakaru Hash
School setting, childhood friends, and a good romance that runs thru it, some harem but overall well done, with some pleasant art.

Welcome to the NKH,
not specifically a romance but a romance runs thru it, and it is a great classic series.

Kujubiki Unbalance
A romance lurks in this one too, and it is also a classic parody and well done and lots of fun.

Emma and Emma 2
A victorian historical series, with a romance at the heart of it, an unusual series, the second season is dubbed by Animax and dubbed well, and both are remarkable.

Inuyasha - 190 eps
Classic series worth the watch with a great romance at the core, not to be missed.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 1-2
A remarkable series that is about a lot of things but it also has an unusual romance at its centre and has a lot of fun besides.

To Heart
An older series set in school but a romance that is not really realized but at the center of the story, dont bother with the follow ups.

Xam'd Lost Memories\
a Sci fi future world series but there is a moving romance at the center of this one too.

I dont reccomend the normal romantic series, and i would warn anyone away from some ...Shuffle, Clannad, Oh My Goddess, and many others are ruined by heavy handed Harem and conflict that really makes it not fun or romantic at all. Enjoy these are some unusual suggestions.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
Welcome to the NKH,
not specifically a romance but a romance runs thru it, and it is a great classic series.

Did you just call Welcome to the NHK happy???

What show were you watching?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
Interesting how this thread seems to be resurrected once a year for a month or so, then goes away.

Recently I re-watched Please Teacher and Please Twins, the first of which got about three mentions so far and the latter got one. Although there are a lot of great romance anime listed in this thread that could be arguably better, I think these two have a better mix of comedy, dialog, stage direction, set and music than anything before or since. Also some of the best use of fan service which today would be steamed out.

Over that, if you are utterly sick of the typical harem male lead archetype, go back and look at Maiku from Please Twins.

Recently some of the crew that did those got together to do a a similar story with more contemporary anime tools: Waiting In the Summer. Quite good but it doesn't break any new ground.
Imagonna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote
Well I figured I'd spend a bit of time here and throw in some of my own personal recommendations.

The following list will try (keyword try boys & girls) to give everyone who's reading some more supplemental information on some good romance series. The best list currently that I've seen in recent comes from Skylark. Please check that post for a very detailed list.

Clannad and Clannad: After Story are two series when watched together has a legitimate chance to become a powerhouse (think Evangelion, the Mobile Suit Gundam series, even DBZ). Even though many people who have seen these (or refuse to, whichever fits your personal feelings) disagree on their status as a powerhouse, it's hard not to expect at least these series in a list of "greatest anime series". Clannad and its sequel, Clannad: After Story when paired together has that kind of potential to join a very elite list. It wouldn't be a total shock for many people to consider these at least in their own personal favorite, whether they want to admit it or not. Just as many people have stated, if you don't reach for a kleenex at some point, then you're probably lying.

Statistical Information
Clannad - Total of 24 episodes, 22 being canon. As a standalone series, it's got gorgeous animation, some unique supporting characters, humor, props, tear-jerking, and most importantly (which most Clannad fans agree) a plot which switches from build-up to gut-wretching in a way which can hold your attention. If you watch this series and find it enjoyable, then buy another box of tissues and watch what many love about Clannad, its sequel.

Clannad: After Story - Total of 25 episodes, 22 fitting the canon description. Humor is not as evident in this series, but the writing, animation, plot, and theme will make you not care. By now, if you haven't seen this series or its predecessor and are debating whether or not to, hopefully my words along with many others who praise this series from beginning to end will move you to at least view it.

Since both series are relatively new, they were broadcast in 16:9 widescreen format. While this is now commonplace, not all series were still broadcast in the 4:3 ratio. You can find these in Blu-Ray definition.

Lovely Complex is romance with a twist in the beginning: the main female protagonist is much taller than the main male protagonist. Humor is the central theme in this romantic-comedy series (and in some parts is very original), but its supporting characters lack significant recognition and some will wonder after watching if they were really essential to building a successful and lasting impression. As several have alluded to earlier, it could have accomplished its intended goal in fewer episodes, but you won't feel it dragged on and on too badly if you decide to undergo this experience.

Statistical Information
24 episodes (all canon). 4:3 broadcast ratio. A live-action movie which has many plot parallels was also released in Japan. I'm not sure whether or not a widescreen version has been released or not. Catchy OP and ED which I found myself looking into the artists and songs, and a breath of fresh air in something which stands out among those in the romantic-comedy genre (romantic-comedy being the keyword there). Not as heavy on drama as can be found in other series, but still enough to keep people entertained. The main cast VA may sound a bit familiar to those fans in the shounen genre, but the cast does work. Worth getting if you want something different and not something A-typical, which as sad as it is to say, can be found in abundance when looking for romantic-comedy.

Love Hina is very popular amongst many fans in the romantic-comedy genre, and once you see it and know it came out just after the turn of the century, you'll understand why. It plays to many fanboys, as the girls in this series have certain...aspects enhanced. It's targeted mainly towards the teenage boys in Japan, you'll know why once you see it. Fans of the Full Metal Panic! series but did not enjoy the mecha-aspect of the show will enjoy this show. Revolves around characters trying to get into a specific college, Tokyo U.

Statistical Information
25 episodes, 3 OVA's in the form of a very short series (each lasting ~ 20 min.), and 2 movies. If you like conclusions and ultimate finality, you're going to be wanting more from this series. Many have pointed to this series as a base for inspiration for content, so for greater understanding of the semi-ero genre (peeking into a hot spring and getting knocked out for it), this series is something not to be at least viewed once for those who enjoy a balanced romantic-comedy series.

Kanon (2006) is more along the lines of Clannad, though many will agree it can not hold a candle to its sequel, Clannad: After Story. However, this does not mean it should just be skipped over. It has its own rich environment, as nearly 100% of the plot takes place over the winter. Tissues are needed if you're not familiar with the type of series Kanon and Clannad can take.

Statistical Information
24 episodes (all canon). Solid standalone series worth viewing for those who are interested in the theme of Clannad, but aren't sure whether to undertake the heart-pounding, tear-jerking venture that it undergoes.

Full Metal Panic! Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu and Full Metal Panic! TSR are three consecutive series which most are fans have seen at least once. Revolving around two central characters, it combines the romantic-comedy genre and utilizes the mecha-aspect of Anime, which only adds to the appeal for some people. The supporting characters in all three series are a bit stronger and deeper than most, but most remember the comedic element of Fumoffu more than anything. The end of TSR leaves many open questions which have subsequently been answered in the novels, and as of this publication date, a fourth season of Full Metal Panic! has still yet to be announced.

Statistical Information
Full Metal Panic!: 24 episodes (some filler) involved. Many will point to this series as a gold standard for how romantic-comedy should be done. The main protagonist are solid (though the female lead has been redone in many Animes in some way or fashion), and the supporting cast can hold its own. Fits in with the "fanboy" stereotype and has something which many romantic-comedies lack, a centralized antagonist which many will recognize.

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu: 12 episodes, virtually all do not add to the centralized plot of the Full Metal Panic! series. It focuses mainly on comedy, and romance takes a very distant 2nd in this series. Comedy fans will love this series for its outrageous gags.

Full Metal Panic! TSR: 13 episodes (all canon). Virtually the opposite of both series, its focuses more on the characters and their struggles exponentially more than the comedic elements. Fans of Full Metal Panic! will love the true "sequel", TSR.

Inuyasha is one of the Queen of the Romantic Comedy's masterpieces. Rumiko Takahashi's work is a big gateway for many into the romantic-comedy Anime world. It was once part of the late, Saturday night Anime block and had a big impact on the Anime world. Its protagonists may seem a bit dated, as they've been tried and redone over and over again in different series, but to be fair, her serialization came before Love Hina, considered by many to be the romantic-comedy standard. This series wrapped up in 2004, but left before anything could be concluded. Its sequel, Inuyasha: The Final Act finishes off the series to a conclusion in a way most romantic-comedy Animes lack in finality and conclusiveness. Fans who loved her previous work, Ranma will love Inuyasha.

Statistical Information
Inuyasha: 167 episodes, 4 movies. It should be noted that the relationship between the two protagonists develops excruciatingly slow in the Anime. This is mainly an Action/Romantic-Comedy, and should be seen once for those who enjoy young teenage romance bloom at a slow pace.

Inuyasha: The Final Act - 26 episodes (all canon). The pace in this series is drastically different from its predecessor. It goes quick and action fans will appreciate it who know the story of Inuyasha. Romantic elements develop late, but since many are already developed (either through the movies or the main series), it works. This series is mainly for frustrated Inuyasha fans who didn't get to see a clean conclusion of Inuyasha and the gang against its main antagonist, Naraku.

Gundam SEED and its sequel, Gundam SEED Destiny are two series which should be at least considered in the romantic genre. This should not be watched if you don't like war. There are plenty of other romance-related Animes to watch. Highly idealistic in nature, both series offer romance in addition to the Gundam-loving Anime fans. There are essentially two main protagonists with two main female supporters all whom play an essential role in the anime and will be the sole focus for those who chase Romance. The relationships that develop will please most Romance fans, so if war doesn't bother you too much, feel free to indulge in what many fans consider to be a potential masterpiece.

Statistical Information
Gundam SEED: 50 episodes, 4 movies (just the story redone with some new scenes). Considered to be the better of the two series. Plot is a bit more in-tune and easier to grab your attention. It should be noted that the four main characters are considered standards in terms of popularity during its peak.

Gundam SEED Destiny: 50 episodes, 1 special episode (last episode redone), 4 movies (same as with SEED). Fits more with the Gundam fanbase and is initially told from the a new protagonist and 2nd protagonist from SEED. I personally found this series hard to watch consistently as I did with SEED.

Since this is getting quite long (my apologies), I'll just finish it with series most have seen at least once. Some are classics, others you could just see once and be satisfied. Repeat value, though, is hard to find with exception to a classic, Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X). The constant will be you can see it and be satisfied with how it finishes.

Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) - 95 episodes, 1 motion picture (animated and standalone), 3 OVA's (with Trust & Betrayal considered to be on the list of many all-time favorites in terms of OVA's/Anime Movies). Idealistic as well, but on a more personal level and much less depressing than others.

Vandread - 26 total episodes, 2 OVA's (retelling of the story). Men and women live on different planets and are at war with one another. "Women are monsters and want to eat your brains". High comedic value with some mecha stuff involved and very...insinuating in quite a few ways.

Vision of Escaflowne - 26 episodes, 1 movie (another on many all time favorite list). Fantasy, mechas, romance. Rare combination and a classic considered by most.

Rah-Xephon - 26 episodes, 1 movie. This series I felt was very underrated and I still believe has a chance to be another powerhouse to be considered with Evangelion. It is a love-story, contrary to what some believe.

Hope this list helps someone who is teetering on whether or not to indulge in a few of these series.
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Toradora. If you haven't seen it then stop everything you are doing and watch it. I general don't like straight romances, (Err, I mean plots that are all about romance and not much else... not that there is anything wrong with the alternative. Wink )

Sure the female is a Tsundre, and that generally annoys me to, but this show just does it right damnit.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Kimi no Iru Machi

The final part of this two-episode OAV was released just over a week ago and, having just caught up with it, I'd recommend it happily. Based on a long running manga it depicts an event well into the run but includes several flashbacks so that viewers can get a handle on the relationship between the three main characters. If you aren't familiar with the manga (and I wasn't) it may take a couple of viewings to understand their history (which I needed). It's easily good enough (and short enough) to enjoy watching at least twice.

Haruto is a country boy who travels to Tokyo on a school excursion where he hopes to meet Eba with whom he is having a long distance relationship. Amongst his travelling classmates is an earlier flame, Nanami, who still harbours feelings for him. The first episode sets up the crisis; the second resolves it very sweetly. I found it a tad predictable but there's plenty of things to appreciate about it in any case. The artwork and animation are gorgeous, the characters are appealing, and the many small observations hit the spot perfectly. Best of all, the outcome is satisfying, even if the characters still have much more ahead of them. (I guess that's the point of the OAV: to get people buying the manga to find out what happens afterwards.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Kimi no Iru Machi

I was tempted to watch it but the Manga has an awful reputation with (apparently) horrendous characterisation and a plot that goes in some truly bizarre and painful directions. It was also described to me as being notoriously rage-inducing. I stayed well clear of the OVA after hearing that.

From what you've said, it sounds like the OVA starts halfway through the Manga or something and makes the villainess spoiler[into a nice girl.] Hmm, that would be a lot better. I still don't know if I want to watch it though.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
It seems they're putting their best foot forward in the OAV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
I was worried about the necro aspect of resurrecting this thread, but dragonite has allayed my fears somewhat Cool So i'm free to waffle on about...

.. Ai yori Aoshi, which is old, but I've only just gotten round to watching it. As this is a recommendation thread, I can wholeheartedly recommend this anime with two thumbs up. The plot contains nothing out of the ordinary, and you'll find many aspects that you've already seen in other Harem anime. What it DOES have, however, is one of the show's greatest trump cards: Aoi and Kaoru. I've never seen a better suited pair of romantic leads. Aoi is.. Flawless, really. Dutiful, smart, pretty with a slightly needy side that isn't overpowering, but cute. Kaoru isn't a letch, stupid, loud nor does he do anything to hurt Aoi... He's just a genuinely nice guy who happens to have the best fiancee in the world. It was worth watching through the throwaway harem episodes just to get to the bits where the two were able to spend time together, the nuances and sweet moments they share. I admit to being spellbound by them (Ok, Aoi mainly Wink), and found this to be a real feelgood anime. I have a habit of liking flawed romantic anime, and this one fits that mould perfectly.

Just... Lovely. Embarassed

I had read and really liked the manga version which has more of a conclusion than the anime which I only saw recently after it was re-released on DVD. I would still include the anime as one of the best romance series ever fort the reasons you've mentioned.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Dalvyn wrote:
Toradora. If you haven't seen it then stop everything you are doing and watch it. I general don't like straight romances, (Err, I mean plots that are all about romance and not much else... not that there is anything wrong with the alternative. Wink )

Sure the female is a Tsundre, and that generally annoys me to, but this show just does it right damnit.

The females voice was done by the queen of Tsundre, Rie Kugimiya, but this was her best performance, this character being one of the few Tsundres that I actually liked. The emotion in her voice acting was among the best that I've seen.
lucyrosett

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
I will recommend Hotarubi no Mori e. This is only a short movie, but definately balmy and romantic. ,-)
Riddley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
Papochulo wrote:
Dalvyn wrote:

The females voice was done by the queen of Tsundre, Rie Kugimiya, but this was her best performance, this character being one of the few Tsundres that I actually liked. The emotion in her voice acting was among the best that I've seen.

That's in comparison to Shana, where she's basically a tool. I really loved the character of Taiga and think it suited her down to the ground. But Shana...ugh. It's like their trying to make her like Taiga, but somehow failing miserably.

As for romance anime, I would particularly recommend Anohana. And Nodame Cantabile.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wasn't sure if this should go more Romance or Drama since a lot of dramas tend to have romance in them as well, but what I'm looking for are anime where the childhood friend character actually "wins" so to speak. It always seems that in almost every anime where there's a childhood friend of the opposite sex to the protagonist, they're pretty much guaranteed to have no shot at getting together with them. I'm sure I've seen a few, but right off the top of my head the only one that's really jumping out is spoiler[Kashimashi. ] I realize this could be considered spoiler material for some just mentioning that the characters in a show get together, so I'll mark that as a spoiler. At any rate, if I could get some other recommendations, I'd appreciate it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 22