• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romance anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Marmalade boy is an excelent anime, it's got a lot of drama and a lot of Romance. I'm about 6 episodes away from finishing it, it's a little lengthy but it's very enjoyable.
haychy101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Hey I'm quit new too the whole forum thing and I've done some searching around but have found no hints anywhere. So too the question, do you know any romance animes where the mains characters actually are shown going out/ Dating

I have already seen Clannad and i loved it.
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
The one that leaps to my mind is His and Her Circumstances. The leads get together early in the series, and a lot of the drama/humor comes from them being a couple amid all their other responsibilities.

Edit to add: I just looked up at my shelves and spotted Ai Yori Aoshi. The main couple pair off almost immediately and are truly in love and committed to each other. However, her family won't let them go public with the relationship, which drives the plot.
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
For a lot of the shows that I've seen that contain any romantic elements, for the most part the series is focused on getting to the point of being able to date and not just about the time spent dating itself. Still, there are a few shows I can think of that contain elements of what you are looking for.

My first thought was Ai Yori Aoshi, where the two main characters are committed to each other very early on. There are problems with the series though: basically it still turns into a harem, and there are two characters (Tina Foster and Mayu Miyuki) that are major barriers for some to enjoy this show. Despite those complications, you do get some very sweet and enjoyable moments between the main characters interspersed within the zaniness.

Another one I thought of is Lamune (sometimes translated as Ramune). The two main characters don't really acknowledge that they are dating or are in a relationship but they so totally are. And you get to see them interacting on a regular basis, not necessarily dating but being together. There's a bit of drama sort of badly tacked on to the end of the series but overall a very nice slice of life show.

The other two that came to mind are kind of a reach I think. Midori Days, for example, takes a pretty crazy concept of a girl who is secretly in love with a boy and turns her into his literal right hand. (You may want to read the summary for this one to figure out what I just said). But you see them living together and going about their daily lives in a way that is very sweet and entertaining.

The remaining show I want to mention here is Please Teacher. While the main characters relationship is more hijinks-based (they do have their moments), I think the relationship of two of the side characters are more of what you're looking for. I don't remember their names but you get to see bits and pieces of their forming a relationship throughout the show to the point where they are dating and become very serious. In fact, this is probably what we see most in anime in regards to what you're looking for: it turns out that side characters are fulfilling that ideal while we watch the main characters fumbling through their lives.

Again, nothing that perfectly fits what you're looking for, but some ideas. I would be very interested in seeing if someone else has some ideas because I think I would like to see such a series as well. Too often there is a lot of other nonsense thrown in that is a turn off to a lot of folks, including myself.

As a side note, I think it was episode 11 of Sword Art Online where Kirito and Asuna spoiler[are now married], and we just see them going about their daily lives in Aincrad. I felt I could watch an entire series based upon what I saw in that one episode.

Re: Murph76 I thought of His and Her Circumstances as well, but I don't remember how much we get into their relationship after early on. Once they're together it seems that the show moves on to what's going on around them instead of between them. I was hesitant to suggest it but it's a pretty good example compared to the ones I described.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Once they're together it seems that the show moves on to what's going on around them instead of between them.

True, but I didn't think that happened until later in the series. I seem to recall Arima and Miyazawa's relationship, as well as her growing social circle, being the focus of the first half of the story. Admittedly, It's been while since I revisited the series.
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Admittedly, It's been while since I revisited the series.

Yes, the same is true for me, so I wouldn't take my response as something authoritative on the matter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure but I don't think haychy101 is necessarily looking for committed relationships as much as shows with actual dates in them. Although that'd probably help.

Amagami SS probably fits that criteria the closest. It's a different take on dating sims adaptations in which it doesn't tell one love story about a guy meeting a half dozen girls and choosing one of them but a half dozen stories about the same guy during the same period of time choosing a different girl in in "route". The end goal in each is having a date for Christmas Eve and each route consists of other dating type scenarios, whether they are formal dates or chance meetings.
The tone of each route is also a bit different in each story depending on the character of the girl. The first story has a sort of odd girl featured and what goes on is a little weird. Another has a humorous narator not in the other routes and maybe the tamest one is a route that doesn't actually end up resolved until the sequel series.

But it's true that most, almost all, (including Amagami) shows naturally focus more on daily interaction than dates. The characters that do focus on dates are usually the womanizers and pathetic supporting characters who don't know what "real love" is all about.
I'm not sure if there's a single series in which two previous strangers meet on a date and develop their relationships through more dates. It's all schoolmates, coworkers, friends, etc.
It's probably given me an unnatural idea about how you form a romantic relationship.... It seems that in the real world that dates are an important early step in a relationship... not something you do after you've already declared your love.... hmmmm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:54 am Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
murph76 wrote:
Admittedly, It's been while since I revisited the series.

Yes, the same is true for me, so I wouldn't take my response as something authoritative on the matter.

Arima and Miyazawa are the main focus of the story while Hideaki Anno is at the helm (eps 1-18). After he leaves (eps 19-26) it concentrates on other characters (with lots and lots of recaps). If it seemed to you that the latter section took up more of the series then it's perfectly understandable: the Anno episodes are crisp and entertaining while the others are sludge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeGandalf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed akane-iro ni somaru saka. I thought it was a really good love anime right up until the end when spoiler[ Jun ditched Yuuhi and went out with his sister instead. ] That really annoyed me spoiler[ as there had been no plot development between them at all, it was all focused on him and Yuuhi. ] However I still really enjoyed the anime and I think it's worth watching.

I also loved zero no tsukaima as I found it really cute although Saito can get really annoying at points along with Siesta. Louise was tsundere to the extreme. ^^
DjGreekhunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Hello all! I'm new to the anime-manga thing. I have already finished a number of animes some of them are:
1)To Love RU (all)
2)Sora No Otoshimono
3)AW
4)SAO
5)High School DxD
6)TWGOK
7)Freezing
8)Absolute Choice

**This list is my top anime list with a 10/10 to all!

At this moment i'm watching Rosario. Do you have any suggestions of any anime title i can check after Rosario? I'm searching and i don't find anything appealing and waiting for next season to the most of the fortold will take some time or it will never happen probably.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, you like trashy shonen harem action/comedies, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. Very Happy You have a huge selection to choose from. I suggest using the genre search tool and play around.
First try a search for "action", "Ecchi", and "Harem" (you might as well avoid "romance"- it's actually redundant for the shows you're looking for) and that will give you a huge list of shows.

Give us a good explanation/ recommendation of one or two of the shows in your list (lists without details are frowned at here- and in fact someone has already reported your post for breaking this rule of conduct) and you'll get us much more engaged in your search and willing to give more specific examples of what we think you might like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DjGreekhunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The attitude on this site so "friendly" to new members. Well as for the title "trashy" i won't comment. For the wrong i made i think it's already fixed and the thread i created before is closed! Now if u are willing more to help and not just criticize my choices my top 2 from the list is Sword Art & Tlrd. Although i like every anime genre i want to see more comedy/romance/action/harem staff. In overall some comedy - Love story and a bit of action inside.

P.S. I already played with the engine search tool and found some pretty titles. but i don't know if it's worth the time.
Date a Live - Zero No tsukaima - Suffle
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
No, trying to be helpful. The rules here are strict in order to foster discussion.
As I said, nothing wrong with liking those... and "trashy" is a good generic description for half of those. Like a "trashy" novel, they emphasize sensationalism and pop sensibilities, that's what trashy is.

See, this is why we need details about what you like about these shows, otherwise people will just make assumptions based on what they think of the shows in a list.
... and come one, you didn't even spell out the complete titles of all of your shows... I don't even know what "AW" and "Absolute Choice" even refer to.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
DjGreekhunter wrote:
The attitude on this site so "friendly" to new members.

Word of advice: the more detailed you are, the more seriously people will take you.

I've lost count of how many people have come through these forums asking for recommendations. They make a short, non-descriptive list with nothing but a bunch of names. People go out of their way in great detail to suggest titles, and 96% of the time, the people who asked either don't reply at all, or they reply with something as short and ambiguous as their list.

It's a an ungrateful slap to the face towards the people who actually care to make a wholehearted recommendation, so please don't assume our rules, guidelines, and culture are here to make you feel bad. They're here to weed out the one-and-done'ers who have little to no interest in providing/being part of semi-intelligent discussions.

The fact that you're still replying, though, is a good sign. You'll just have to adjust to the way things work around here.
DjGreekhunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I thought that they were pretty popular series and that's why i posted them with some sortcuts AW-> Accel Wolrd (Brother series of Swor Art) - Absolute Choice-> Noukome or My Mental Choices interfeer my school life etc. (Big title)
Well "trashy" is an opinion that you support for me it's just choice. I won't critisize your anime choices neither for example my friends who's favourite genres are Drama-Action-sci-fi (Drama for me is just inconvinient) . Ofc every opinion is welcome, but it's not neccecery for me to accept it! Smile As for what i like to see as i already said i like comedy-Love story mainly (secondary harem etc) and a bit of action.

**I'm trying to adjust here so bare with me a little!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 22