• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-24]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
Vantos wrote:
* I do like the sound of the Japanese language a lot, perhaps more than I should (though not to the point where I would seriously watch something non-Japanese in Japanese.)

I like the sound of Japanese a lot as well, so much in fact that I'd love to learn to speak it if I had the time. However, I still prefer dubs though because it's my native tongue and I'd prefer not to read if I don't have to. That doesn't mean that I won't watch something subtitled, but normally it's only when subbed is the only option or when the dub isn't all that great.

Last edited by Jedi General on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Quote:
1. The odds are good, but the goods are odd.
2. By and large, they are bi and large.
I'm sorry, but after reading these two sentences, I find that I can not control my laughter long enough to comment on anything else. What the hell were you thinking when you wrote this? Crazy fun.

Wow Zac.....where do you hang out lol? Is that waht goes on after the ANN panels at cons heh? I can't stop laughing...my sides hurt. The scary part is #1 is usually true.....it really is. Honestly, I mean are any of you Otaku chicks here not odd somehow? I'm not saying it in a bad way...just most of them see the world a bit differently. The glass is neither half empty or half full, it's full of jello. Very Happy

As for Korean entertainment.....I have to agree. Since getting into anime I've tried other forms of Asian cinema. Japan and other places make their own fair share of crap too, but the Korean market is full of potential that is not capitalized on properly. I agree they have the technical aspect and I think they actually do have the artistic talent and story telling talent. It's not just used properly. They emmulate sooooo many other types of cinema from other countries it seems to me they must think they have to copy something for it to work. Instead of letting their natural talent go to work. I think they have the potential to make great animation and movies. They just don't use it that talent properly. Since Zac did mention Korean cinema I wonder what people, and Zac, think of a show called Bi Chun Mu: Dance With Sword. Anyone seen it or know about it? To me this is an example of a show, as I said, with lots of potential that doesn't quite deliver.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
I partially agree with Zac about Korean manwha being second rate for the most part, but I feel that one series can single-handedly justify giving some a chance.

Priest.

It's wonderful, it's original, it's epic, and it deserves praise.

The writing and art are amazing and innovative, and the characters and story are deep and enthraling. In my opinion, it combines an Asian visual aesthetic with a more cohesive Western style to the writing and story. Makes for a superior product if you ask me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
excelent column this week.

Its an interesting topic, I think most Anime fans like the idea of meeting a girl who shares their nerdy interests. I know for me, common interests are one of the main things I look for.

The trouble I've found with this though, is that I've yet to meet an Otaku girl I actually like. Ofcourse in fairness, I've only met a handfull of em, but they were all either: brutally annoying, completely insane (and not at all in a good way), and finally way to serious and with issues with everything (feminist, enviromentalist, etc.)

Idunno, I gotta figure that there are plenty of otaku girls out there who are perfectly nice likable people though. That girl who was flirting with me at the Manga store the other day seemed alright. (Okay well, calling it flirting is a definite stretch.) Damn, now Im kicking myself for half ignoring her cause I was mesmorized by an awesome Vash the Stampede wall scroll. I should totally have bought that wallscroll. It was awesome...what was I talking about again?

As for the Awnserfans:

I've got a feeling that "Jurgen Koek" really hasn't dived very deep into the fanbase. I think the fact that one of the worst aspects of the comunity he can come up with is we "watch cartoons and read comics" proves this.

Theres just flat out no sense in his last point.

Quote:
Of course there are people who are like:"Hmm, I'd better not tell anyone that I watch anime and read manga or else they might think I am just like the other fans ( meaning weirdos, no offense )." But why should you think that? Once you're an anime and manga fan, you're one of us

Obviously there are plenty of legit reasons you might think that. If you dont care about that stuff, or w/e, thats fine. But its stupid to act like theres no possible reason to think this way. By being an open Anime fan, people are often going to assume that youre like other fans. Idunno what he's trying to say in his last sentence. Once youre a fan, you are a weirdo?

Quote:
In short, I'm embarrassed by the vocal minority

I think this is the best quote of the whole lot. It sums it up pretty well. For the most part, the Anime comunity is made up of decent, sensible people. However there is a vocal minority of crazy people, who give the rest of us a bad reputation.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
Korean: I’ve watched a number of Korean productions (animation, live-action drama, game shows etc) cause our cable offers Arirang, and koreanovelas (Korean dramas) are quite popular in the Philippines but I only liked the game shows, because all of their fiction works are similar and I’m tired of seeing the same plot in different shows over and over.

Otaku-dating: Answerman should start a dating column here too. I’m an otaku girl, but the strategies answerman suggested won’t work on me. Laughing

AMV: Not really into AMVs so I haven’t seen the one in question, but I will check it out.

Panda: Awww.. is he for dinner?

Quote:
The internet lurker – usually mild and reserved if ever met in real life, but over the internet, turns into a ravenous otaku, pulling apart every comment you make on instant messenger, blogs, or even a forum – because they, so obviously, know so much better than you.

Lolz this sort of applies to me, just the first part of the sentence though. I’m also a member of many anime forums, so I guess that qualifies as internet lurking.

I’m only embarrassed for those people who cosplay as their favorite character, but they don’t really look like the characters they’re cosplaying. In the last 2 events I went to, there were Near (from Death Note) cosplayers, and I didn’t realize they were dressed as Near at first. I seriously thought they were dressed up as old men.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
Korean: I’ve watched a number of Korean productions (animation, live-action drama, game shows etc) cause our cable offers Arirang, and koreanovelas (Korean dramas) are quite popular in the Philippines but I only liked the game shows, because all of their fiction works are similar and I’m tired of seeing the same plot in different shows over and over.

Otaku-dating: Answerman should start a dating column here too. I’m an otaku girl, but the strategies answerman suggested won’t work on me. Laughing

AMV: Not really into AMVs so I haven’t seen the one in question, but I will check it out.

Panda: Awww.. is he for dinner?

Quote:
The internet lurker – usually mild and reserved if ever met in real life, but over the internet, turns into a ravenous otaku, pulling apart every comment you make on instant messenger, blogs, or even a forum – because they, so obviously, know so much better than you.

Lolz this sort of applies to me, just the first part of the sentence though. I’m also a member of many anime forums, so I guess that qualifies as internet lurking.

I’m only embarrassed for those people who cosplay as their favorite character, but they don’t really look like the characters they’re cosplaying. In the last 2 events I went to, there were Near (from Death Note) cosplayers, and I didn’t realize they were dressed as Near at first. I seriously thought they were dressed up as old men.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
...but I only liked the game shows, because all of their fiction works are similar and I’m tired of seeing the same plot in different shows over and over.
o_0 That's like...oxymoronic reasoning...almost...
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
Ah HA! I knew that "Does L Creep You Out?" AMV seemed familiar. The creator happens to be a friend, well more an acquaintance but nonetheless.

It truly is a small world.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote
I'm insulted by the implication from people that just because I like anime/manga, I'm "one of them" and should get along with them because of the one thing I have in common with them. I don't want to be "one of them". I'm me. I go to cons because it serves my interest. There are plenty of people who enjoy some of the same things I do that I would never get along with. Why should I hang out with an idiot if they're into the same anime I'm into? Or what if some annoying fan of Naruto is bothering me? I shouldn't poke fun of them because I'm "one of them"? It's irritating.

That's like saying I shouldn't say that people who enjoy Adam Sandler movies have poor taste because "I'm one of them" because I enjoy comedy movies. I mean, I'm one of them, right? I shouldn't judge their taste in movies since I like comedy, too! Wrong. Poor taste is poor taste - when I see it, I say it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:23 am Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
jetz wrote:
...but I only liked the game shows, because all of their fiction works are similar and I’m tired of seeing the same plot in different shows over and over.
o_0 That's like...oxymoronic reasoning...almost...

Hmmm.. you're right. I should have added that I noticed all Korean dramas I've are usually about love, with someone dying in the end. That's why I said they were similar.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote
Colleen wrote:
I feel embarrassed by the fandom when they immediately like something more when it's Japanese than when it's North American (even if it originated here, like Disney songs!).

I seriously hate people like this. Its so annoying to hear them complain about how awful the English Naruto , Prince of Tennis, Yu Yu Hakusho, Case Closed, Dragon Ball, Shin-chan, Rurouni Kenshin, etc intros were and how they ruined the series. Then on youtube you see comments on the Japanese songs to Teen Titans, Under the Sea, Ninja Turtles, X-Men, Fantastic 4, and other American songs in Japanese and say how much better they are then in Japanese. Its fine to like the Japanese versions of the songs but you really can't say Under the Sea is better in Japanese if you freaked out and spammed the message boards when you first heard Rise. I somewhat blame the schools for this problem too. They teach us too much about having respect for other cultures instead of our own it makes kids hate their current culture.

edited for spelling.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:44 am Reply with quote
The only Korean titles I've read that I don't care for are the gaming titles--if they're not based on an RPG, they sure seem to be trying hard to be one

Rebirth, Island, King of Hell, Threads of Time (excellent), Eternity, HEavenly Executioner Chiwoo, 1001 Nights, Boy Princess, Let Dai, Not so Bad, Masca, Faeries Landing, Les Bijoux, Queen's Knight, Dragon Hunters, Couple, Full House, INVU...

I've discovered some of the hate for manwha seems to be the die-hard anything-not-Japanese-sucks,

I've been far more disappointed with more of the manga I've tried (why do so many shojo settle for cute? We don't need a plot? Crescent Moon, Mugen Spiral, & so many others just feel so pointless when one gets to the last volume. That's an ending? After reading MagicalXMiracle 4, is there even any reason to read book 5?)

In fact by the numbers one would suspect there's a higher number of mediocre manga due to the huge bank of titles to draw on.

I immediately thought of the mini panda in FMA. Aw! Then that we have another panda at the zoo so we'll be bombarded with commercials to go see the little thing when they start putting it out on display in a few months.

Why do so many people spend so much energy worrying about what other people are doing? And to be 41 yrs old & STILL worried, it's just sad. It really doesn't matter as long as one isn't breaking any laws or hurting anyone. Everyone at my work knows I like anime (Do you think it's the wall to wall anime posters in my cubicle?) & I don't care. I take manga with me to read whereever I am without worrying what anyone who sees me may think. I've been stalked by kids at Knotts trying to see what I'm reading when they see me sitting at a bench waiting for my teen & her friends to get off Ghost Rider. You're an adult. You have the right to like what you like. I see adults reading Harry Potter-isn't that a book aimed at kids?

In fact all the responses posted to that question seemed like an oppertunity ti gripe.
Jackmace Ryo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote
I'm feeling the answers for answerfans in this column is rather irrelevant with the question itself.

It feels more like "What kind of anime fans you don't like?" rather than "Do you ever feel embarrassed by the anime fan community? "

The answers seems to deal with the inner embarrassment of oneself (meaning that one is embarrassed for being grouped with people they don't like yet shares the somewhat same interest) rather than public embarrassment though it seems that with the stigma anime has now it is rather understandable.

What kind of answers Zac was expecting anyway?
UltimateSpaceLion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote
woah woah woah!!!

"incompetent garbage like Sky Blue or The Host"??

we are talking about the one directed by Bong Joon-ho, right? whatever about Sky Blue, but The Host was a fantastic movie! I'm really surprised at you Zac, I thought you had good taste!

minus 5 respect points!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:39 am Reply with quote
At the risk of going off topic, Im gonna point out:

CCSYueh wrote:
I see adults reading Harry Potter-isn't that a book aimed at kids?

No. At worst, it could be called aimed at all ages, and I would only really even say that about the first few. From maybe the 4th one on it gets to be progressively more inappropriate for kids and progressively more appealing to adults, and again thats not to say that the first 3 dont appeal to adults too either.

I personally find that stereotype that the Harry Potter series are kids books, almost as annoying as the one that all "cartoons" anime included are for kids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14