• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Christian Manga, Bible with Japanese Artists Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
The Bible will always be the most popular work in Christian fiction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The Bible will always be the most popular work in Christian fiction.

To a Christian, it isn't fiction. I'm not Hindu but I will respect their teachings and writings and certainly wouldn't call their work fiction, especially in public.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
Now, if they have Jesus shooting lasers out of his eyes -- I'll be impressed. Twisted Evil

They'll have to for him to keep up with the pope.

I think though, for all my Religious Comic needs I'll stick with this
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I think though, for all my Religious Comic needs I'll stick with this
Oh. My. God.

Just found this: The Incredible Popeman.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quote
HA HA! Sacrilege.
Tbone Jenkins

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
But don't forget that there has been Christian anime before: Superbook and the Flying House. I remember watching those when I was a kid. They were awesome!

I am surprised that they're doing the New Testament rather than the Old. One would think that the Old would be more interesting with all the battles and intrigue and...uh...physical fun...and...(trying to picture Song of Songs in manga...)

Superbook. Superbook was definitely the bomb! Very Happy
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The first volume, Manga Messiah, should be available now at your local bookstore. I saw it in passing at Borders last weekend. I thought it was a joke but alas...

Berserkfury819 wrote:
At least they didn't get a manwha artist to do it.

Ha. I suppose you haven't heard of the new manga division of Zondervan. They are releasing a series called Manga Bible, illustrated by the Koreans! The first 2 volumes have been Old Testament so far. They also have another series called Son of Samson and Kingdoms detailing 1 & 2 Kings and 1& 2 Chronicles.

http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/Product/Kidz/Kidz+ZGraphic+Novels.htm?QueryStringSite=Zondervan

There's a PDF downloadable sampler of all six of their series on that site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
huangm777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I dunno about this to be honest. It's going to depend a lot on how it's told; just sticking a few stories on in manga art style and hoping it will work won't cut it unless it helps us to see something differently or sheds new light on the text in some way. That's what the entire history of Christian art at its best has done. And quite frankly, the evangelical publishing houses have a very good track record in producing watered down, self-helpish pablum that tends to gloss over the more difficult parts of the Bible, a lot of which would be very interesting to see in graphical form. (The entire story of King David, for instance, which is really one of the grandest and saddest tragedies ever penned.) Will the manga style art and storytelling capture the Bible in its angular, raw beauty and ugliness, or will it be safely sanitized for Christian kids, who I suspect is the market for this? Veggie Tales or the magnificent Barry Moser illuminated Bible?

Oddly enough, one of the better examples of Bible art I've seen are the Biblical sections of Craig Thompson's graphic novel/memoir, "Blankets." I wouldn't mind an entire Bible done in that kind of style.

I'm in seminary, btw, so I have somewhat of a vested interest in this project. Smile

Mike
http://animediet.animeblogger.net
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Tbone Jenkins wrote:
I am surprised that they're doing the New Testament rather than the Old. One would think that the Old would be more interesting with all the battles and intrigue and...uh...physical fun...and...(trying to picture Song of Songs in manga...)

Yeah, but the New Testament has Revelations, and anyone has to admit that Revelations would look AWESOME in manga form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
PaladinBlue wrote:

Yeah, but the New Testament has Revelations, and anyone has to admit that Revelations would look AWESOME in manga form.

I would love it if they did that! Don't think the companies who want the Bible in manga form want to show that book to kids. Well, they do have those Left Behind books for children but I don't think they are morbid.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
MugenKeiji wrote:
Hey I know, do a manga based on House M.D.

"You'll pay me in Vicodin or no deal."
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
This would have been appealed to me 12 years ago, when I was the most vulnerable to Christian stories. Not that it would have kept me from becoming an atheist 3 years ago.

Though it won't be a straight up adaption of the Bible word-for-word. I expect missing passages, no real quotes. The metaphors and stories are captured but the questionable parts aren't.

It's a clever marketing tool for conversion. You'll have more of the Elias Grover Christians who try to preach EXTREME spirituality. When in itself the religion is just an excuse for false altruism and a means to look forward to death.

But it's all in good fun to watch the wheel turn.

"That's very Christian, believe what I say or I'll hurt you." -- Brian, Family Guy

wilson_x1999 wrote:
I can't wait until someone does The God Delusion in manga format! Very Happy, you know, to keep everything balanced Razz

Too bad, because Tezuka (may he rest in peace) would have been perfect for coming up for a scenario for that. He was really concise on Hitler's history, I wouldn't put it past him to do research on Dawkins' findings if he were alive to this day. Then again the Vatican would blacklist him, seeing how he was also commissioned by them to do a work on the Bible.

Manga needs more atheist good guys besides alchemists and certain swordsmen from Shonen Jump series. They better not censor that about Zoro in the upcoming OP dub episodes either.

Hey I know, do a manga based on House M.D....no wait, Black Jack, never mind.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
I rather like this idea, but am weary... I'll have to check it out and see.

I'm of the opinion that I'd really like this if it was done well. It should be serious and emotionally/spiritually moving, and many of you are right that they shouldn't gloss over the uglier details. (Because, hey, that's the way it happened - but there's also how these things were overcome) However, I believe that anything overly gory or sexual being shown may be harmful to the spirit rather than nourishing... So while I think that they should have those parts included, I think they should be included in a way that you don't ACTUALLY see anything. (Because, hey, the focus of it should be to tell the story - not satisfy lust.) And they should try to directly quote some of the more doctrinal verses, but WITHOUT shoving it in your face. (Yes, I do believe this is possible...but very difficult) And of course, I believe there should be a note in the front stating that for a full and accurate account of the events, you should read the actual bible. Smile (That's what [insert company's name here] did with the Book of Mormon movie, and I highly approve. Smile )

And personally I plan on using it for the "See? Manga's not evil!" purpose rather than the "Look! It's Christian manga! Convert, heathens!" purpose. Wink (And I'd like to note that it seems people don't understand that manga and anime are really just like anything else, in a certain respect... There is good and bad manga, just as there is good and bad movies, tv, books, etc.)
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote
*is gonna compare this to music*

If this is done well like Argyle Park, Circle of Dust, and Zao's "When Blood and Fire Bring Rest", then w00t.

If it's done like Stryper.... Fail.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
Tbone Jenkins wrote:
For Christains it's all in the New Testament, The Old Testament are basically selected stories out of the Jewish Tora that have a relevant valid reference to the coming of a Massiah. Important , but not as much as The New. To me these look interesting enough to want to read one, maybe two, but I'm a little concerned about just in what manner the stories will be interpeted, as each church denomination interprets the bible to fit it's own brand of Christianity from one extreme to the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8