• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Katanagatari Sub.DVD/Blu-ray Box Set 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
Are you a masochist?

Anymore to that final arc and I think you would have overdosed. Just be happy they only broke your two legs, your predominate arm and both your thumbs.... at least you are still alive to tell they tale. Just be happy you came out of it alive, all be it, barely and in shambles.

Yet, here you are saying you could have taken more when it's obvious from your writing that if it had any more impact it might have been lethal.

Are you trying to die? Sure the pleasure might be euphoric but it might come at a greater cost then you (and most of use) could bare to pay.

Be careful what you wish more, it just might come true.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
My copy just shipped out, I can't wait to watch it! I just love the almost "fairy tale" quality of this series, it's so simple and beautiful...
hamburg113

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:22 am Reply with quote
Hi

I found that a member asked same question in this forum some months ago.

Pls use search box to find this questions with comments

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Yahoo interview questions

Best regards.

Last edited by hamburg113 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote
The ending basically ruined sense of this series.

spoiler[It turns out that the secondary character princess' actions were pointless through whole series, since her exposed goal, the revenge, could have been done any time earlier with the help of the same assassin guy who did the job in the end.

Also, main hero's actions are pointless. If he wants to die, then there is no sense to kill all the innocent people who have nothing to do with his insanity. He should have done sepokku/harakiri and that it is.]

Really pathetic.
dpkworldwide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
I just finished Katanagatari the other night, and I honestly am still working through how I felt about the show and the ending in particular. It is definitely not your run-of-the-mill series and has indeed left a BIG impression on me.

I can't believe all the whining about "so much dialogue". Must all anime be about flipping on the TV, turning off your brain and being "entertained" for 30-60 minutes? I think that Katanagatari's true strength and uniqueness is embedded in all that dialogue. That is likely why I'm having such an enjoyable mental exercise trying to figure out, understand and sum up the show. I believe the best starting point for divining what it all meant is the final narrator's monologue at the end of episode 12. Additionally, the art and style are incredible and so very unique--it was a joy to watch from a visual standpoint. A friend of mine compared it to modern-day Ukiyo-e painting, and I think that's an excellent analogy. There's plenty of substance in this series on several different levels, and that possibly makes it too difficult for the couch-potato crowd to grasp and enjoy.

Many of the events in the last few episodes had incredible mental and emotional impact for me, so I can't quite understand the knocks against it not going far enough. Not eviscerated? As just one example, I will tell you that in episode spoiler[11, the death of Maniwa Pengin--virtually the only one of the Maniwa Ningun we had a chance to develop even a tiny rapport with during the entire series--so disturbed me that I had to stop watching the episode and come back to it later. I'm also here to say that recalling it gave me nightmares for a week. If that's not evisceration, I don't know what is...

The final episode was a real surprise and in essence turned everything upside down. I will likely have to rewatch it again at least once or twice before I can grasp everything it was trying to tell me.]

Unlike any other show I've seen, Katanagatari has challenged me on a very different intellectual level--no doubt due to the fact that it was based on some serious literary novels. I think it's an incredible and unique show that has a huge payoff if you're willing to engage with it the way it requires. And I will also say this: it's definitely not the kind of show you can just flip on in the background while you're cooking dinner or doing your homework.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

spoiler[It turns out that the secondary character princess' actions were pointless through whole series, since her exposed goal, the revenge, could have been done any time earlier with the help of the same assassin guy who did the job in the end.

Also, main hero's actions are pointless. If he wants to die, then there is no sense to kill all the innocent people who have nothing to do with his insanity. He should have done sepokku/harakiri and that it is.]

Really pathetic.

That isn't the answer. Somethings override shame like seeking revenge or justice or are still someone's dog trying do their bidding.

Quote:
I just finished Katanagatari the other night, and I honestly am still working through how I felt about the show and the ending in particular. It is definitely not your run-of-the-mill series and has indeed left a BIG impression on me.

It sure was a pill to swallow and there will be people calling this show ruined because of it.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
The dialogue ... I dunno, the humor just wasn't my cup of tea and I don't care anymore for the over the top shonen-fights full of talking (= explaining of nonsense fighting styles) and posing ... which is probably why I didn't like it too much. The second half was better story-wise, but then I really didn't like the ending either ... kinda sad, I wanted to like this series more.

dpkworldwide wrote:
I can't believe all the whining about "so much dialogue". I think that Katanagatari's true strength and uniqueness is embedded in all that dialogue. That is likely why I'm having such an enjoyable mental exercise trying to figure out, understand and sum up the show (...) no doubt due to the fact that it was based on some serious literary novels.

Oh, if you like this kind of series, you definitely have to watch Guardian of the Spirit Wink
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
The real thing to do if you're whining about dialogue is to remember it's a Nisio Isin novel adaption, you remember and wonder why there isn't more talking heads
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

Really pathetic.

Pretty sure revenge wasn't Princes Denial's exposed motivation. Also, it wouldn't have worked had she tried sooner. spoiler[Her goal was to see if she could alter the course of history by bringing about the death of the ruler and instigating a revolution. She couldn't have simply had the ruler assassinated because she would than be accountable for the the murder and leading the potential uprising, and her intention was to act primarily as an observer.

She couldn't have had Togame assassinated earlier because she needed Shichika to be loyal enough to her and in love enough with her to be driven to action by her death.

While Shichika may have wanted to die, he also desired to avenge Togame which could not be done by simply killing himself.

Further, the ultimate conclusion is that one cannot escape one's fate. While this may make it seem as though everything done in the story was in vain, without attempting to try would have made the message feel weightless.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1