• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Usagi Drop Episodes 1-11 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scineram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:33 am Reply with quote
So sweet it gave me toothache. No, it was headache actually with all those cringeworthy moments, most in the second half of the series. Too bad, I had such high hopes for the premise, yet turned out to be the least interesting show this summer. That is one out of five not crashing for Noitamina this year (not seen Musoko). Not to say it was nonsense or incoherent, just superdull and mundane. The opposite of #6 really, which makes that slightly less bad.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Well, have there been anymore "well-publicized" or "famous" reactions against the ending? If the backlash was really that great, maybe there would be substantial changes in another season after all...

I wonder. I can imagine a lot of readers writing to the publisher or putting their opinion down in the famous questionnaires of the magazine.

The final volume of the manga just came out in July in Japan. I checked on amazon a few days after the publication and it had like 2 more or less positive reviews. By now it has 100 reviews (still getting more), which is far more than any other volume of the series. And it also got the worst rating of all volumes, with a lot of "1-star"s. And even the reviewers who rate it positively overall, aren't always 100% convinced by the ending. I didn't have the time to read all of them in detail, which would be interesting ... but anyway I'll never have the chance to interview anybody involved with the series about what kind of reaction they got directly and how they felt about it. So I can only hope somebody else does.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote
There seems to be some disagreement here on the actual Japanese reception of the final volume of the manga.

I tend to agree that the Japanese are not going to deviate from the manga story line to meet American morale demands.

Usually, endings for manga and anime tend to produce more negative comments, because some fans don't like how the conclusion played out, it wasn't detailed enough, it came out of left field (NGE), or it didn't have any after story.

Unless there was a tidal wave of negative comments from the Japanese side of the fan base, I don't see them deviating from the manga's ending; if there is going to be a second season.

Really, if the Japanese meet every American morale imperative, we would be calling them Japanese cartoons, and not anime. Probably, wouldn't even be watching them to begin with, since it would be chained down to the American saccharine sweet, inane, and stupid level that most of our TV cartoons are at presently.

Hell, they are even saying now that SpongeBob Squareparts is bad for kids. I feel sorry for our kids, on how bland our cartoons are now, and don't see it getting better anytime in our future.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
I loved this show-best thing that I've seen in a long time. The way it told about the relationship between Rin and Daikichi was elegent in its simplicity.
Rensie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I tend to agree that the Japanese are not going to deviate from the manga story line to meet American morale demands.

Unless there was a tidal wave of negative comments from the Japanese side of the fan base, I don't see them deviating from the manga's ending; if there is going to be a second season.

This. The main demographic is Japanese not the non-factor bigotry american fanbase, and thanks god for this. If they made a second season people who don't like the ending should just drop it.

Btw, i liked a lot these 11 episodes, good job noitaminA.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
There seems to be some disagreement here on the actual Japanese reception of the final volume of the manga.

Not really. The divided reaction can be verified very easily on amazon.

Quote:
Unless there was a tidal wave of negative comments from the Japanese side of the fan base, I don't see them deviating from the manga's ending

Animes deviate from their source manga endings (and entire story even) all the time, and for the most different reasons.
Nayu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Not really. The divided reaction can be verified very easily on amazon.

This is like quoting wikipedia as fact. It is a bunch of users with an agenda choosing to rate a product. Those who were satisfied with the manga have less motivation to go to Amazon and rate the product up.

Quote:
Unless there was a tidal wave of negative comments from the Japanese side of the fan base, I don't see them deviating from the manga's ending

maaya wrote:
Animes deviate from their source manga endings (and entire story even) all the time, and for the most different reasons.

And sometimes for no reason whatsoever.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
This is like quoting wikipedia as fact. It is a bunch of users with an agenda choosing to rate a product.

It does show that there has been a divided reaction. Of course, it is one part of the audience only, but among that part it's simply not unanimously praise, what also stands out when comparing with the other volumes. And we have yet to see any basis at all for the opposite claim.

Quote:
Those who were satisfied with the manga have less motivation to go to Amazon and rate the product up.

Now you are the one stating your impression as a fact. I don't know about that, but as said, even the positive reviews include mixed thoughts about the ending anyway.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
Good for you but if they made a second season (not likely) that cover the rest you simply can skip it and collect only the first part.

Why should we have to be subjected to a second season in the first place. What is so difficult about leaving a masterpiece alone? Hollywood may do it all the time, but that doesn't make it right. A second season isn't likely, because Usagi Drop (the show) won't make much money. But from an artistic viewpoint a second season is entirely undesirable. The only way from here is down, quality-wise.

Rensie wrote:
Still the anime is incomplete if they don't made a second season expecially for people who have read the entire manga.

There are a couple of loose ends in the Anime, however it really has a "life goes on feel". Okay, so spoiler[Daikichi never hooked up with Kouki's MILF of a mum, and Rin's mother never reunited with Rin, even just for a meeting.] But the first wasn't major (had nothing to do with the themes or the plot) and the second was put on hold until Rin is older. spoiler[Masako gave up on being in Rin's life (let alone being her mother), and Daikichi told Masako that until Rin wanted to see her mother he wouldn't be going out of his way to make that happen.] Not a full and final settlement/closure, but it was addressed and mutually dealt with by placing the relationship on the backburner until Rin wanted to rekindle it.

If you are talking about the issue about spoiler[Rin's actual father,] then that doesn't matter at all. It is only a loose end if you take the Manga into account, and there is absolutely no need to do that. The Anime never even began to address the issue in question and therefore never opened itself up to the responsibility of tying up the loose end. After all, a loose end cannot exist if the specific thread doesn't exist either.

The show should stand on its own, and it does exactly that. Leave the Manga out of it.

Rensie wrote:
Also changing the ending if they made a second season is bad and is called censorship, hope they just stay close to the manga till the end expecially because in Japan there wasn't any negative review about this ending.

It isn't called censorship, it is called avoiding a trainwreck by building a second set of rails. If they weren't to divert the train it would crash into the side of a mountain sending pieces and people rolling down the hill into a swamp, whereupon everyone who survived the trauma and explosion would subsequently drown. That's what I think of the ending of the Manga as depicted in a rural traincrash scenario.

I'm not so sure the Japanese were so on board with the ending as you think they were. And anyway, even if the Japanese liked it doesn't mean squat. They view Wife Husbandry in a different light than most other people.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
immortalrite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
This series sounds like an interesting cross between Yotsuba and the latter episodes of Clannad After Story. I have to admit that the first episode did not exactly blow me away, but I am now definitely curious to see where it goes both in terms drama and comedy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
One of the reasons I'd love to see a second season (beyond the fact that I loved the first), is that I am genuinely curious whether or not the makers would be able to pull off the seemingly impossible trick of making me "accept" the manga ending (or what I assume the manga ending is since I've never actually confirmed what it is, although it seems pretty obvious). Put me down as being "dubious, but having a quasi-open mind" about the possibility.

Fortunately, I have no problem compartmentalizing stuff - so even if a second season got made and it was a complete balls-up, it wouldn't "ruin" the first season for me. I'd view the two as separate beasts.
MJP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
If the manga ending squicks you out, go read up on the Tale of Genji. It makes sense as to how the literary concept of spoiler[raising a daughter to be your bride] comes into context in Usagi Drop, Kodomo no Jikan, and other anime/manga.

Yeah, it's squicky to us, but that squick is part of the fact that almost all anime we watch/consume is basically a cross-cultural study in cultural relativism.

As is all moe, but we know that ANN hates moe and refuses to acknowledge that Japan != us in terms of such.

tl;dr: haters gonna hate.
Rensie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The show should stand on its own, and it does exactly that. Leave the Manga out of it.

The first part was based perfectly on the manga with ha bit of variation. If they will made a second season ,i repeat, you can skip it, nobody force you to watch if you don't like the ending.
I don' t see the issue here, only some foreign/bigots complain, non-factors, no more, so they shouldn't deviate from the manga if they make the second part. Anime sometimes deviate yes but because there isn't too much source material or the manga is ongoing, in this case the manga is completed so i don't see why they should go for an original ending, make no sense at all. The only complain i read from japanese audience was that the finale was a bit rushed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

The first part was based perfectly on the manga with ha bit of variation. If they will made a second season ,i repeat, you can skip it, nobody force you to watch if you don't like the ending.
I don' t see the issue here, only some foreign/bigots complain, non-factors, no more, so they shouldn't deviate from the manga if they make the second part. Anime sometimes deviate yes but because there isn't too much source material or the manga is ongoing, in this case the manga is completed so i don't see why they should go for an original ending, make no sense at all. The only complain i read from japanese audience was that the finale was a bit rushed.

This is an ignorant post. First, your contention that only foreigners and "bigots" (love how you link the two) complain is highly dubious. I have no doubt there are plenty of Japanese who would oppose the manga ending as well. Second, if you are non-Japanese and have a problem with the manga ending, that doesn't make you a bigot. I'm not even bother going to explain why, because anybody with an I.Q. over 10 would understand this simple point and too bad for those who don't meet that minimal thresh-hold.
ALHQ51

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quote
The Usagi Drop manga reminds me a little of another manga called Miman Renai in which both females are young but end up with older guys, Usagi's being 40 and Miman being 37. Though the Usagi Drop anime doesn't delve into that route which is great for people that are disturbed with the manga's ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4