• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Terminal Tominosis

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Nagatoka_Morito wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
So who is this ultra annoying character in Char's Counterattack?

You know, with "Island" in the title, I was first thinking the episode might have been naughty like the hot springs episode debacle with Outlaw Star, then I thought maybe something really too gruesome for TV happened on said island (besides I can't imagine Tomino suddenly inserting a fanservice-y episode in any Gundam). Well other than spoiler[Tiffa's nude swimming scene in Gundam X].

I see no mention of Gundam X at all. It really was unloved. =<

The "ultra annoying character" is likely either Quess Paraya (Who causes a number of other characters to wind up dead because she's a deluded, selfish little teenage brat), or Hathaway Noa (son of Captain Bright Noa, who is probably the biggest loser this side of Zeta's Katz Kobayashi).

I was a volunteer at Big Apple Anime Fest 2002, which was the year and event which Yoshiyuki Tomino made his first American appearance. They premiered Char's Counterattack that Saturday night, and Tomino was there to introduce it.

When Quess spoiler[kicks the bucket during the climax] the audience erupted into a applause. Despite the fact that Tomino was sitting right in the middle of the theatre.

Oh, and if we wanna about Tomino fan-service (those words sound worse in my head than they have any right to be), you don't need to look any further than the opening to Brain Powerd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp9TUMJugnw

Last edited by JohnathanEnder on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I was just ranting about Quess the other day. She was young girl looking for something to join. Really she wanted to jump any good looking newtype hero of the one year war.

Also i thought the most unliked gundam protagonist was the one from gundam seed destiny.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
I was just ranting about Quess the other day. She was young girl looking for something to join. Really she wanted to jump any good looking newtype hero of the one year war.

Also i thought the most unliked gundam protagonist was the one from gundam seed destiny.

Shinn's got decent popularity, it's just that in Japan his overshadowed by Kira, the poll I linked to showed that his more popular than Setsuna F. Seia, who was the main character of the series after Gundam 00.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity how much involvement did Tomino actually have in the making of the original Gundam trilogy films? I always heard the compilation films turned out so well because they were mainly directed by somebody else, any truth to this?
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen a smattering of Tomino works, and none of his more obscure stuff, so this article might be an interesting jumping-off point to go find some of those series. Though...yeah, Tomino is really hit-and-miss sometimes. He seems really good at coming up with expansive, interesting continuities, but then has trouble when he actually has to figure out what he's trying to say. It's been a long time since I saw Brain Powerd, but I recall a line (I think from the show, or otherwise from an interview) that went something like "This is what happens when women don't want to have families anymore!" I wish I had the exact quote handy; it sent me into fits of laughter and "Yep...that's Tomino."

I'm really looking forward to the release of Turn-A Gundam. It may be my favorite of the Gundam series, not only because I'm kind of a sucker for their turn-of-the-century time period (biplanes!), but because the hero is a cool guy - not a hothead, always tries to find a peaceful resolution, actually reads the manual for his mobile suit... It lacks some of the theatrics of other Gundam series, but the cast is more interesting, and the soundtrack is fantastic. I know it's unlikely we'll see it on blu-ray, but I can still hope.

I literally just found out this week that the original Mobile Suit Gundam DVDs with dual-audio were out now, so I'll have to pick up that before the year is out. I've heard it uses the new transfer from the most recent Japanese release, so it'll probably look quite nice.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:00 am Reply with quote
Nagatoka_Morito wrote:
The "ultra annoying character" is likely either Quess Paraya (Who causes a number of other characters to wind up dead because she's a deluded, selfish little teenage brat), or Hathaway Noa (son of Captain Bright Noa, who is probably the biggest loser this side of Zeta's Katz Kobayashi).

As for Gundam X, Tomino had no involvement with it, so it wasn't mentioned.

Wow, she does sound like an idiot. And people applauded her death? Epic. Anime hyper

Ah I see. That I was not aware of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2