• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Action anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:05 am Reply with quote
alf_lying wrote:
Is this thread still alive?

These dedicated recommendation threads are always alive. The point is to keep offering/exchanging suggestions so someone will always find something else to watch.
DjGreekhunter

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Hello there! I'm searching for some anime titles with Good action generally having a MC (main character) who seems to be "Bada**" (overpower).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
So you've seen every single one of the titles listed in this, thread, then? You'll have to be more specific than "good action with a badass main character." That's a really broad description that could apply to hundreds of titles.
DjGreekhunter

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
hmm No i Haven't seen all the titles here that's why i'm asking for some suggestions. I'll try check them all, but it would be nice to have some recommendations first (i'm not lazy , not at all). Now to be more accurate i'm searching for anime title with a combination of Action - Super Power or Supernatural or Adventure based on a male MC & a story evolving near him or near a sub character who is involved with the MC even by coinsedence. I would love to see as sub genres Drama or Magic or Comedy or Shounen or Romance , but i'm open minded to anything with Action & a male MC.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
That's still way too broad.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
DjGreekhunter wrote:
i'm searching for anime title with a combination of Action - Super Power or Supernatural or Adventure based on a male MC

I am not really an action fan so I have not read much of this thread and do not know if this show was ever mentioned, but when I saw those requirements I thought of Getbackers.

Whether you try it or not, explaining what does, or does not, look interesting about it might help others to think of recommendations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Since no one else has done so, I'll add the obvious Kill la Kill to this list. it features two "badass" female protagonists and has some hilariously over-the-top battle scenes with lots of "collateral damage." The story lampoons regimentation and fascism via the medium of school uniforms. Being crazy and unpredictable, neither of which I think of as distinctly Japanese cultural norms, turns out to be the winning strategy.
braves wrote:
It's from the same guy who did Gurren Lagann and something he definitely excels at is pacing and composing his action scenes.

I've seen lots of nitpicking over Imaishi's direction in Kill la Kill, but I guess there is a certain group of anime fans who live to be disappointed. Some have complained over the reuse of material; I suspect those comments come from people with little understanding of the limited budgets available for televised anime. Just managing the budget is one of the most important jobs a producer has. I consider Moribito, with its mix of active and slow episodes, a tribute to careful planning and budgetary control by Kamiyama Kenji.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
The best way to get a recommendation is to make a recommendation. A detailed one. Like three sentences or more that explains what you like about a show. It will also endear you to members here that see you as asking for favors without contributing anything yourself.

Katanagari
I really liked this show. It started off worryingly, the villains seemed simple and two dimensional and the hero also simple and idiotic. Yet the beginning actually proved to be a sort of con. Eventually you see that it's all actually pretty complex. Bad guys have deeper reasons for what they do. Sympathetic characters go dark, "bad guys" turn out to not be so bad. The main character stays pretty simple but his dedication is impressive and moves the story to an unexpected conclusion.
...and there's some impressive fighting too.

Now, that's not really a recommendation for DJ. But if you were to post something like that about a show you like and end it with "do you know of other ones like that that would interest me"... you might have a little more luck getting responses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DjGreekhunter

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
previous titles i have finished: Tokyo Ravens - Magi - Claymore - Code:Breaker - Hellsing - Sengoku Basara.
All of them with amazing battles-plots & MC's, but some with different sub genres!
loempiavreter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Reading NJSLYR (short for Ninja Slayer, as called by fans) was equally a breath of fresh air as it was a blast from the past.

Even if the anime version hasn't been released yet, there are enough reasons to look forward to it, so I'll sum up 10 Reasons to look forward to NJSLYR's anime adaption:

1) Cyberpunk setting mixed with Futaro Yamada's ninja pulp aesthetics (Basilisk, Ninja Scroll).

2) A nostalgia trip for fans of old school anime's sensibilities...

3) ...while at the same time a parody to that exact same sensibilities. This joint is genuinly funny (unlike the usual anime/manga's otaku humor). Something on the level of Samurai Cop - Miami Connection humorous flair. While those titles where humorous by accident, NJSLYR humor is just as great even if it was deliberate.

4) The writing style is so wacked out, in a postive way. I don't know if it's because the series is originally conceived on twitter format. But everything is so literal.

Expect the ridiculisation of Japanese habits for shouting attacks, lyrics for supermarket theme songs, wacky ass double punn names as NUT CRACKER or EXPLOSIONER and more (bonus points for all the pop culture references).

5) NJSLYR i the ultimate DEUS EX MACHINA of DEATH. As he often pops up randomly to kick ninja butt. He even popped randomly out of a fridge for a ninja showdown in one part of the novels!

6) ONE-LINER GALORE! 'WASSHOII!' 'NJSLYR keeps on trucking' and many more. 'Ninja shall perish!' is the new 'You are allready dead' (Hokuto no Ken).

7) Totally rad ninja enemies for NJSLYR to fight (look for the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat references). Yes it's totally monster of the week... but who cares, it's all about in jokes and cool Futaro Yamada style ninja (+ weapons and powers) battles anyway.

Expect to fight enemy ninja's like Sonic Boom (the obvious Guile/Street Fighter reference including hair), 'Black Haze' (who fights with exploding cigars, and enjoys smoking them too... probably a pun too Smoke from Mortal Kombat) his companion the sexy femme, 'Fatal' (who can turn from beauty into grotesque fur monster), 'Purple Tako' (the squid tentacle mouth kunoichi), , 'Gauntlet' (the shuriken sniper) and his (body expanding) partner 'Centipede', 'Nut Cracker' (jaws direct competition), 'Basilisk' (another Mortal Kombat runaway, this time reptile's long lost brother), 'Cockatrice' (imagine having snakes for arms... that's life as a hideaously deormed mutant cyborg ninja) and a Jetpack Tengu of which the name eludes me for the moment. etc. etc.

8) The anime adaption is done by 'Studio Trigger'. Good sign, decent folk.

9) "Fight fire with fire? Make up your mind to fight fire with speed, and even deadlier speed you shall create. If the enemy don't fall after hundred shuriken, throw a thousand." - NJSLYR wisdom better then your average fortune cookie.

10) NJSLYR's punch turns full encased ninja helmets into puke buckets (at least on one occassion)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote
Hi, I'm looking for an action anime (oh really?) that is in a school (or in a similar environment), super power (doesn't matter what) and fights! The only one that I was able to find was Kill La Kill (which I'm watching and loving it).
thebeats42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
#822631 wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for an action anime (oh really?) that is in a school (or in a similar environment), super power (doesn't matter what) and fights! The only one that I was able to find was Kill La Kill (which I'm watching and loving it).

Try Code:Breaker and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Both are really amazing and the action is great.
runemine120

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
Sorry if this is in the wrong area in advance.

I have watched what feels like every single decent action anime made in the last 15 years. I am looking for more (Just finished dragon crisis, more romance then action), but pretty much hit a dead end. I have sorted through at least 200 animes which either i have seen or have no appeal to me.

If anyone got any good recommendation that would be great, but be forewarned i have seen pretty much every mainstream one you can think of. Preferably decent/modern animations nothing like the getbackers(Good anime though).

Thank you in advance.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
It's tough to say since your scope is so broad. Like have you seen Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan? The new Fate/Stay Night anime is possibly something you'd like. It's still on going, but it'll end in a few weeks if you want to wait.

Also MyAnimeList and Anime-Planet have recommendations on each anime's page.
Night fox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:23 am Reply with quote
DjGreekhunter wrote:
previous titles i have finished: Tokyo Ravens - Magi - Claymore - Code:Breaker - Hellsing - Sengoku Basara.
All of them with amazing battles-plots & MC's, but some with different sub genres!

You've probably seen these titles already, but I'll post them anyway since they've got what you're looking for in terms of super powers, supernatural elements, and badass MCs.

Darker than Black is more of a supernatural mystery really, but features some great action scenes as well.
Ga-Rei-Zero is a dark, psychological and tragic horror story about friendship and betrayal, with some supernatural swordfighting on top.
Corpse Princess is another supernatural horror story featuring several badass zombie girls whose lives revolve around weapons and exterminating evil spirits.
Kurozuka is a tragic mystery/love story with lots of horror and supernatural elements, all set in different stages of an alternate history.

I don't know if I was of any help, but hopefully you haven't seen all four titles already. Wink
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~EDIT~ Wow, I just realized that the post I responded to is over a year old... Laughing

Last edited by Night fox on Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8