• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Holding Woman Captive He Met at June Anime Con

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
That is awful, sick behavior. I hope that the woman's physical and emotional wounds can mend with time.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? Why does our fandom seem to atttract the most blatantly creepy weirdoes that then paint the rest of us without such problems as sleezeball pedophilic women abusers? I doubt this guy had a clean past, and no red flags were dropped before this happened? And then the media gets to paint us all with a broad brush because some sicko might like anime? Mental illness isn't triggered by watching cartoons or playing video games, the sickness is there long beforehand, and it just gives people like this an avenue to express themselves, since mental illness is still treated as a afterthought, if people would catch on beforehand, things like this wouldn't happen.
rewpbertt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It makes me sick that ANN would post this story, it just validates their claims even more. Just because they met at an anime convention has nothing to do with this guys mental problems or what he did to her. For all we know, he may not even watch anime etc., he just knew it was a good place to meet women. And for them to blame it of the fact that he may be an otaku is downright disgusting. I'm not excusing what he did at all, he's a sick bastard and should be put to death for this. But to act like it was because he partakes in otaku culture is a serious slap in the face.

I know of this guy, he frequents north east anime conventions and cosplays Jrockers, He is part of the Otaku culture. I heard about this from friends earlier today even before the article went up.

In Animenewsnetworks defense I say this, this is news worthy to Anime fans and the culture of conventions
Be safe at cons guys.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
What I'm still trying to get over is the "Sir" part. I'm guessing he legally changed his first name to Sir, the whole thing sounds made up.

This is a sad and tragic event but the #1 thing that I couldn't get over while reading the article was the Sir part as well. His entire name combined with that picture bring up so many odd things that seem like contradictions.
TitanXL

FaytLein wrote:
Seriously? Why does our fandom seem to atttract the most blatantly creepy weirdoes that then paint the rest of us without such problems as sleezeball pedophilic women abusers? I doubt this guy had a clean past, and no red flags were dropped before this happened? And then the media gets to paint us all with a broad brush because some sicko might like anime? Mental illness isn't triggered by watching cartoons or playing video games, the sickness is there long beforehand, and it just gives people like this an avenue to express themselves, since mental illness is still treated as a afterthought, if people would catch on beforehand, things like this wouldn't happen.

I can link you to some much worse horror stories that have nothing to do with the anime community if you really think we have the 'worst'.

I'll echo my sympathies towards the girl, and I'll also echo that this article really got spinned. For example, they used Facebook to chat and meet up, apparently, so why not blame that site? Anime has little to do with it, and it's just another example of the media spinning something to shift the blame on a media property they wish to target, like video games or, in this case, anime. While I'm not going to blame the girl, I think something is very odd if you move in with someone you just met after a month. Other troubled/abusive relationships might be in her past as well, and unfortunately people do tend to return to those kinds of relationships since they're used to it. It's just this time it was an unfortunate extreme.

Last edited by TitanXL on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

Banden wrote:

Quote:
One of the discussion panels at the convention addressed “the dysfunctional elements of the Otaku Subculture,” including male megafans who had trouble relating to women and acted out violently against them, according to the convention’s website.

Why are we validating such a terrible stereotype? Dysfunctional, sure, whatever, but on what grounds are they hinting that anime fans are any more likely to abduct and abuse women than anybody else? Can anyone name another incident besides this one? Makes me sick to see a newspaper slander a subculture that way.

Because said stereotype is true in some ways. I love anime as much as you, but you cannot deny that it attracts reclusive, somewhat messed-up people, especially males, who have screwed up views of women due to watching anime/reading hentai/playing Eroge/etc. This is an undeniable fact--just look at Japanese Otaku and the ridiculously creepy things they do.

Is it a good fact? No.

Is it a true fact? Yes. And truth doesn't change to suit people's wants.
lunaladyoflight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
He's from Chicago, they met at Anime Central in May. She disappeared from MI at the very end of June/beginning of July. The week after she attended a photo shoot party I hosted. All of her friends discouraged her from going off with him like she did. :/

I think, barring he isn't imprisoned for a very long time or deported for being here illegally, that he should be banned from at least all mid-western conventions. If not ALL US conventions.

The guy always gave me a bad vibe when I saw him at conventions :/ Bleh such a freaking creeper.
Banden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Kindly point me to a single other example of "male [anime] megafans who had trouble relating to women and acted out violently against them"?

I hope you realize, when you say things like this, you are validating a really nasty, slanderous stereotype that could lead to totally undeserved prejudice and potentially dire consequences for other members of this fan community. Anime fans have their issues, everybody does, but as MrHatandClogs commented, there is way more evidence out there that pro athletes are messed-up people who have screwed up views of women, compared to anime fans.

Last edited by Banden on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
shadow13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Undoubted he will be going away for a long time. And I am willing to bet his defense will be the insanity plea.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Kindly point me to a single other example of "male [anime] megafans who had trouble relating to women and acted out violently against them"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Miyazaki

Quote:

I hope you realize, when you say things like this, you are validating a really nasty, slanderous stereotype that could lead to totally undeserved prejudice and potentially dire consequences for other members of this fan community. Anime fans have their issues, everybody does, but as MrHatandClogs commented, there is way more evidence out there that pro athletes are messed-up people who have screwed up views of women, compared to anime fans.

I didn't say all anime fans are screwed up potential rapists/abusers/whatever, I'm just saying that there are some less-than-sane people in it. Once again, look at Japanese Otaku and the incredibly jacked up things they do.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
It makes me sick that ANN would post this story, it just validates their claims even more. Just because they met at an anime convention has nothing to do with this guys mental problems or what he did to her. For all we know, he may not even watch anime etc., he just knew it was a good place to meet women. And for them to blame it of the fact that he may be an otaku is downright disgusting. I'm not excusing what he did at all, he's a sick bastard and should be put to death for this. But to act like it was because he partakes in otaku culture is a serious slap in the face.

So when an NFL player beats his wife/girlfriend is because he plays football? Ridiculous!

And what makes it even more ridiculous is that ANN was quick to run the story, it just makes themselves look bad.
We are here for Anime/Manga etc. news, not obvious slander to our culture!

Whoa, whoa. ANN posted this article because it had to deal with anime. It IS a news network after all. Whether it makes them look bad or not it's still news and we have the right to know what goes on at cons around the country. The people of ANN love anime/manga just as much as the rest of us so don't make it seem like they're trying to embarrass JUST us, the readers. Do you get mad when they post news about those people who threaten and stalk voice actors/actresses? That's pretty embarrassing to know that one of our 'own' is stalking people. So don't be mad at ANN. They post news about anime whether it be a crime like this at a con or a kid who was found with a Death Note filled with names.

Anyway, I hope the girl gets the right treatment and knows that meeting up with someone from FB and THEN moving in with him is one of the stupiest things you can ever do. I'm just glad she wasn't killed, but I hope the guy gets life for what he's done.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what a f***ed up dude. Hopefully, he gets put away for long time.
Banden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Not a valid example when the convention panel the newspaper article is referring to is in Chicago, Illinois, in the year 2011. The Miyazaki murders happened 22 years ago. In Japan. He is three years deceased.

Chagen46 wrote:
I didn't say all anime fans are screwed up potential rapists/abusers/whatever, I'm just saying that there are some less-than-sane people in it. Once again, look at Japanese Otaku and the incredibly jacked up things they do.

When you defend the comparison, you are validating a completely false and toxic stereotype. Again, point me to another example of these violently troubled "megafans" the Sun Times piece refers to? You believe it, prove it to be more than uncalled-for hate on your part?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
CORRECTIONS: "Prosecutors" is spelt wrong in the article.

Emerje wrote:
What I'm still trying to get over is the "Sir" part. I'm guessing he legally changed his first name to Sir, the whole thing sounds made up.

The only thing I can figure out after some poking around is that it could be related to BDSM. Guy thinks he's a Master Dominant, and tried to forced the woman into being his sex slave. Sir is used as an honorific title in the community, along with other titles like "Lord" and "Madame."

Banden wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

http://kotaku.com/5709983/japanese-net-cafes-are-a-wretched-hive-of-scum-and-villainy
machetecat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
after the two moved in together in July.

Quote:
Camaligan and the 20-year-old woman corresponded on Facebook

Okay, look, I'm not gonna blame the girl, because he might be a smooth talker or something.

I'm offended, however, by the media's serious attention on where they met. They could have just said a convention or something if they needed to go on that detail. There was no need to put a neon sign stating "THIS FREAKAZOID GOES TO ANIME CONS!". She continued to talk to him on Facebook and then moved in with him of her own free will (at that point). Wherever they met doesn't matter. What matters is that people need to understand to be careful of this crap.

I went to a huge party place for a friend's wedding a few weeks ago. I could have easily met a guy there, chatted with him on FB, and ended up in the same situation. The only difference would have been the articles would have barely mentioned "They met at a party" and that would have been it. Where the party was wouldn't have been an issue.

The fact this is the second story this year about some freak at an anime convention is really unsettling. I wish the regular news media would understand that this type of thing happens OUTSIDE of cons too. Every type of social gathering has some bad apples.

Also, be careful when going to conventions, kids. Go in a group or go with a parent, and for the love of all that is holy don't let yourself be captured by a guy that looks like he's freakin' high!!

Sunday Silence wrote:
Banden wrote:

http://kotaku.com/5709983/japanese-net-cafes-are-a-wretched-hive-of-scum-and-villainy

OH. MY. GOD.

Last edited by machetecat on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7