• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Holding Woman Captive He Met at June Anime Con

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nanoob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Anyway, I hope the girl gets the right treatment and knows that meeting up with someone from FB and THEN moving in with him is one of the stupiest things you can ever do.

I'd take a guess that quite a few commentators here have done or will do a similar sort of thing once; it's fairly popular within nerd culture. It's not one of the stupidest things you can ever do.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:
It makes me sick that ANN would post this story, it just validates their claims even more. Just because they met at an anime convention has nothing to do with this guys mental problems or what he did to her. For all we know, he may not even watch anime etc., he just knew it was a good place to meet women. And for them to blame it of the fact that he may be an otaku is downright disgusting. I'm not excusing what he did at all, he's a sick bastard and should be put to death for this. But to act like it was because he partakes in otaku culture is a serious slap in the face.

So when an NFL player beats his wife/girlfriend is because he plays football? Ridiculous!

And what makes it even more ridiculous is that ANN was quick to run the story, it just makes themselves look bad.
We are here for Anime/Manga etc. news, not obvious slander to our culture!

Whoa, whoa. ANN posted this article because it had to deal with anime. It IS a news network after all. Whether it makes them look bad or not it's still news and we have the right to know what goes on at cons around the country. The people of ANN love anime/manga just as much as the rest of us so don't make it seem like they're trying to embarrass JUST us, the readers. Do you get mad when they post news about those people who threaten and stalk voice actors/actresses? That's pretty embarrassing to know that one of our 'own' is stalking people. So don't be mad at ANN. They post news about anime whether it be a crime like this at a con or a kid who was found with a Death Note filled with names.

Anyway, I hope the girl gets the right treatment and knows that meeting up with someone from FB and THEN moving in with him is one of the stupiest things you can ever do. I'm just glad she wasn't killed, but I hope the guy gets life for what he's done.

But that's what you aren't getting is the crime had nothing to do with anime. The only thing that made it related to anime at all is that they met at a con. I'm sorry but that is not anime news. When rapists etc. get arrested for stuff like this and they met the victim at Walmart, does Walmart post the story on their website? No, because it had nothing to do with Walmart. I understand what you are saying, but I'm sick of ANN posting these stories. Like I and many others have said it just validates these peoples claims. If Fox News or whoever saw that ANN ran out and posted this, it would only fuel their arguments. I respect ANN, and I understand they want to keep us informed of all Anime etc. news. But, again I say, this is not anime news.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
I'm sure you and your new prison roomie, the 400 lb. gorilla named "Bubba" are gonna have some laughs! For the next 20 yrs. to life.

Oh, and get used to your new name, "Candy."

Sick bastard.

I just laughed..... Hard..

Anyway dude must have had some swag to get her to move in with him that fast... Or she was extremely easy.. either way this dude shouldn't have done what he did, I am sure us anime fans will be hearing about this for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
animefan1238

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
I'm sure you and your new prison roomie, the 400 lb. gorilla named "Bubba" are gonna have some laughs! For the next 20 yrs. to life.

Oh, and get used to your new name, "Candy."

Sick bastard.

I just laughed..... Hard..

Anyway dude must have had some swag to get her to move in with him that fast... Or she was extremely easy.. either way this dude shouldn't have done what he did, I am sure us anime fans will be hearing about this for a long time.

Bubba comment. Great! As for us fans we just need to stand up and say its like any other fandome. Most are regular people but there is that small percent. Of course not ALL anime fans are sick like this person.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
A new name for Kira to add to his/her "Death Note".
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

I'm sure I won't hear about this particular case ever again.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Is it a true fact? Yes. And truth doesn't change to suit people's wants.

Kindly point me to a single other example of "male [anime] megafans who had trouble relating to women and acted out violently against them"?

I don't get physically violent, but I DO get verbally abusive. Does that count?

And no, I'm not PROUD of this, just AWARE of it.
Strife212

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
He's obviously not a real Knight. He either changed his first name to 'Sir' or had ridiculous parents. Either way it's pretty bizarre.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

I'm sure I won't hear about this particular case ever again.

Does anyone recall the one where the "alleged" pedophile took a teenager from a con because he was dressed up as a Bleach character she liked (The fox-headed guy)? Anyone? Buelher?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Anyway dude must have had some swag to get her to move in with him that fast...

This one takes the cake.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Not a valid example when the convention panel the newspaper article is referring to is in Chicago, Illinois, in the year 2011. The Miyazaki murders happened 22 years ago. In Japan. He is three years deceased

You're retroactively qualifying your argument. You asked, he answered.

The Miyazaki murders are inextricably linked to otaku as a phenomenon. To bitch about it being "old news" is short-sighted.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
Anyway dude must have had some swag to get her to move in with him that fast...

This one takes the cake.

Well, they do have a point. You often hear how serial rapists/murderers lure victims in ways you'd think is ripped off from TV and movies. And you go "How you figga?"

Not trying to blame the victim, but for them to quickly hookup together does raise a red flag of sorts.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Damn anime fans!!!

Make us look bad......... Razz

MrHatandClogs wrote:

So when an NFL player beats his wife/girlfriend is because he plays football? Ridiculous!

Yes! It's a mega-testosterone sport! Laughing

Chagen46 wrote:

Because said stereotype is true in some ways. I love anime as much as you, but you cannot deny that it attracts reclusive, somewhat messed-up people,

Introverts, y'mean. Smile

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sparvid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
It makes me sick that ANN would post this story, it just validates their claims even more. Just because they met at an anime convention has nothing to do with this guys mental problems or what he did to her. For all we know, he may not even watch anime etc., he just knew it was a good place to meet women. And for them to blame it of the fact that he may be an otaku is downright disgusting. I'm not excusing what he did at all, he's a sick bastard and should be put to death for this. But to act like it was because he partakes in otaku culture is a serious slap in the face.

No, if a NFL player commits a crime, I would expect football sites to bring that up. Just like if anime producer X was arrested for robbing a bank, there's nothing wrong with ANN reporting it.
This is more like a NFL fan beating someone up at a non-football related location.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I didn't say all anime fans are screwed up potential rapists/abusers/whatever, I'm just saying that there are some less-than-sane people in it. Once again, look at Japanese Otaku and the incredibly jacked up things they do.

You mean like how every fandom or thing does? Then why bother bringing it up? Japan has one of the lowest crime rates in the world, especially among First World countries. The United States has over 5x the violent crime rate of Japan.

I don't see how listing Americans committing crimes is in anyway implication of Japanese Otaku. This took place in Chicago? A big city with a history of crime? I'm willing to bet that had a far bigger contribution to this case than anything anime or manga related. America has a terrible crime rate problem, something that anime and manga have little to no effect on, especially looking at the country these media formats originate from.

All you're doing is trying to peg a generalization on a group of people from a single incident. Just like you can make the exact same argument for Facebook they used, or the car they drove, or the brand of clothing they wore. Your statement has no weight to it at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7