• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Holding Woman Captive He Met at June Anime Con

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
It should be a crime to move in or even have anything with a man that ugly and what? Weird? What kind of hair is that? That's more of an aberration than weirdness.

Under these circumstances don't you usually call the culprit accused, offender, etc.? Because that's not a sir. Not with that hair.

Place that thing by your door and I guarantee you salesmen will never bother you again.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Car and pony analogies? A riot, guys. Really. Rolling Eyes

Again: sorry that FACTUAL ANSWER to your EMPIRICAL QUESTION bothered you.

Banden wrote:
Both of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I think YOU should be ashamed of yourself for continuing to ascribe arguments to me that YOU have invented out of thin air. Again I haven't commented on the Chicago case or its attendant implications, so your assumptions here are reactionary and obfuscatory.

Banden wrote:
And here you two are being a couple of chucklehead trolls, making excuses and perpetuating an unconscionable myth that this is actually happening somewhere.

Just keep throwing around that "troll" term and stomping your feet while gritting your teeth and making things up and casting goofy aspersions onto people ("making excuses"?) and positing them as doing something they never did ("perpetuating").

I suggest reading what I wrote instead.

Banden wrote:
Will you be laughing when you or someone you know gets blamed for a sex crime because somebody thinks you're one of those dysfunctional anime convention guys they read about in the newspaper? Time will tell.

Wow, a false conflation, an accusation, a hypothetical, a qualified hypothetical, and a re-contextualized sensational closer backed up with a goofy tautology to cast me as arguing FOR something I've never mentioned?

Stay out of law school.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Again I haven't commented on the Chicago case or its attendant implications, so your assumptions here are reactionary and obfuscatory.

So you admit to not even caring about the topic and just want to flex your fingers by being argumentative, disruptive, and argue semantics rather than a person's point. That's kind of what a troll is. Just saying.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

The point is that anime doesn't turn you into a serial killer, or molester. People are painting us with the brush of perverted criminals, and I don't think we should be defending that.

Yes, you need to be careful at anime cons, but that's true of any group function like that.

Agreed, anime doesn't turn people into serial killers, it just makes them incredibly annoying, as this thread would seem to have proven. Laughing
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

Anyway dude must have had some swag to get her to move in with him that fast... Or she was extremely easy.. either way this dude shouldn't have done what he did, I am sure us anime fans will be hearing about this for a long time.

I'm sure I won't hear about this particular case ever again.

Does anyone recall the one where the "alleged" pedophile took a teenager from a con because he was dressed up as a Bleach character she liked (The fox-headed guy)? Anyone? Buelher?

I think I remember that... I mean, I don't remember the whole thing about Bleach being involved, not that that really matters much but I've probably simply forgotten it.
Or maybe i'm thinking of a totally other case...

There was this one

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-07-07/man-pleads-guilty-to-coercing-girl-he-met-at-anime-con

And I remember this one too (which, I at first thought was the one you were talking about)

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-02-05/missing-14-year-old-girl-reportedly-headed-to-ikkicon

Anyways, I honestly hope this woman is okay, and not just physically either because damn... it'll take alot to come back from that kinda crap. Forget the fact that really, moving in so soon was a pretty dumb idea, and all the red flag stuff really should have been a tad obvious, had to be at some point, no one deserves that kinda torture bestowed on them.
Except maybe this guy.
I also hope this SOB gets whats coming to him ten fold. Because really, this nutjob deserves nothing less than to be locked away for a very long time.

Quote:
Well, be lucky the police didn't report finding "Lolicon" or other incriminating manga/anime.

Only a matter of time Rolling Eyes .
Though I really doubt it'll make it any more worse than whats already been reported.

(Btw, just realized someone already posted about one of the articles I pasted before I finished typing this. So I guess I wasn't the only one who also was reminded of that.)

And I dunno (or rather I personally don't think) whether anime and things like it make creepers, or cause creepers to flock to them and what-not because like a few people are saying, all things have that.
All of them.
But I will say that, depending on the case (where said anime or whatever was actually involved or the problem in some way and not simply being used as a vehicle like a puppy or something to simple lure kids/teens in.), you gotta admit that when there is a said creeper, they can really sometimes take it to a whole new place. As opposed to the usually domestic violence things you mainly hear about in sports and what have you.
The whole kneeling on rice thing, and the cutting the X on her chest... Thats pretty crazy stuff there imo.
(The rice thing though, while i've heard about something like that one time before, that sounds majorly sadistic to me. Not that the other stuff aren't, or that that is worse, but to me, little things like that really stick out to me and make me really boggle my mind at the nastiness a person can be/be to someone else.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
peachsncreamsoda wrote:
I think I remember that... I mean, I don't remember the whole thing about Bleach being involved, not that that really matters much but I've probably simply forgotten it.
Or maybe i'm thinking of a totally other case...

And I remember this one too (which, I at first thought was the one you were talking about)

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-02-05/missing-14-year-old-girl-reportedly-headed-to-ikkicon

Yep, and I found the America's Most Wanted Video of the case!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvDeA3Dya3Q
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
They could make an ecchi anime out of this.............
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Borderline guro given the "carving an X into the chest" thingy.

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Osaka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
ANN will post anything vaguely related to anime for page views.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Banden wrote:
Car and pony analogies? A riot, guys. Really. Rolling Eyes

Again: sorry that FACTUAL ANSWER to your EMPIRICAL QUESTION bothered you.

Odd as he asked about anime megafans and got a link about a murderer who was a well known horror/snuff flick maniac that had some anime DVDs. Well I guess just owning some anime qualifies one as a megafan.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Oi, to all the people victim blaming, stop it, stop it now. (Mario1234567 special mention to you calling the girl who was kidnapped, abused, and nearly murdered as “extremely easy”. Words that describe you aren't allowed on the ANN forums.)

To the people responding to the article about a with “Oh god this better not make me look bad”, congratulations you're a different kind of un-allowed word. There are crazies in every demographic, who like to make a hobby of doing horrible horrible things. You don't respond to a story about a person's trauma with “Well not all otaku are like that”.

Yes, we know that, that is why they are called the crazies. They exist in many a niche subset, and when articles are written about them for doing horrific things, the proper response is not to treat one person's tragedy and the subsequent articles of such as an affront to your geek hobbies.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Oi, to all the people victim blaming, stop it, stop it now. (Mario1234567 special mention to you calling the girl who was kidnapped, abused, and nearly murdered as “extremely easy”. Words that describe you aren't allowed on the ANN forums.)

At this point, we have no idea how the victim even got into the situation other than "facebook and (unamed) anime con." Until we get that info, any speculation is speculation.
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Borderline guro given the "carving an X into the chest" thingy.

I kept thinking that it was homage to Naoto from Dogs: Bullets and Carnage since she has an 'X' carved into her chest from an attack.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks ANN for posting this story. Regardless of journalistic sensationalism and how we may feel about it, it is to our benefit as anime fans to know that this is a thing that happened. I, for one, do not want to be unprepared to discuss it when a non-fan suddenly brings it up in conversation.

I'm surprised a certain other website infamous for sensationalist anime news hasn't posted this story. I'm not a fan of censorship and I think trying to ignore this or pretend it didn't happen is the wrong way to deal with it. While we fans enjoy the fantasy of anime fiction it is important not to lose sight of the reality that awaits us once the show is over.

Otherwise, you could end up like that guy.
abominaSion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:50 am Reply with quote
It makes me feel uncomfortable knowing that this guy just might have an account here. The possibility does very much exist. Suppose that covers the "why is this relevant to us anime fans".
And apparently he liked Jrock. He could have the same musical taste as I. Still regardless of what media he liked. his mental problems would still exist.
Poor girl. It seems this sort of people(men) have a way with words.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7