• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Holding Woman Captive He Met at June Anime Con

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:46 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

Whoa, whoa. ANN posted this article because it had to deal with anime. It IS a news network after all. Whether it makes them look bad or not it's still news and we have the right to know what goes on at cons around the country.

Nice idea but ANN has in the past censored news from anime cons that they, in their own opinion, did not like. For example, a story about a certain US voice actor with health problems at a con was posted and then removed. It was news. It was timely and relevant, as least as much as this story is relevant, but ANN decided that being friendly or showing respect to the actor was more important than the news aspect and killed the story.

A real news organization would post the thing, warts and all. In my opinion, a "news" organization is either ALL IN the news business -or they aren't. You can't pick and choose like that and remain legitimate.
Banden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Oi, to all the people victim blaming, stop it, stop it now. (Mario1234567 special mention to you calling the girl who was kidnapped, abused, and nearly murdered as “extremely easy”. Words that describe you aren't allowed on the ANN forums.)

To the people responding to the article about a with “Oh god this better not make me look bad”, congratulations you're a different kind of un-allowed word. There are crazies in every demographic, who like to make a hobby of doing horrible horrible things. You don't respond to a story about a person's trauma with “Well not all otaku are like that”.

Both of these statements are victim blaming. I'm perplexed how you can make these two comments back to back, drawing polar opposite conclusions, without seeing the common thread? The girl's victimization was at the hands of Sir Galahad, and his crimes are heinous, and she doesn't deserve the blame for the pain he inflicted on her. On the same token, the Sun Times newspaper in particular is fishing around for other scapegoats and has latched on the the anime convention and its attendees as a somehow relevant factor. (?)

We've done nothing to deserve that blame either, and I'm not sure why you think it would be okay to defend the victim while calling us "un-allowed" names for defending ourselves? The only person to blame for the crime is this sicko, agreed? We ought to be speaking out against this and distancing ourselves from the perpetrator to make it clear that our fandom isn't okay with that kind of behavior. Instead, what I'm seeing is a bunch of people collectively accepting that blame and making bad faith claims about the character of other anime fans, even though there's no evidence that a crime like this is any more likely inside anime fandom, than outside in the wider world that each of us is also a part of.
Nanoob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Agreed, anime doesn't turn people into serial killers, it just makes them incredibly annoying, as this thread would seem to have proven. Laughing

Anime fans in overly sensitive shocker, news at 11.
Genet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
peachsncreamsoda wrote:
I think I remember that... I mean, I don't remember the whole thing about Bleach being involved, not that that really matters much but I've probably simply forgotten it.
Or maybe i'm thinking of a totally other case...

And I remember this one too (which, I at first thought was the one you were talking about)

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-02-05/missing-14-year-old-girl-reportedly-headed-to-ikkicon

Yep, and I found the America's Most Wanted Video of the case!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvDeA3Dya3Q

Did they ever find that girl?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Genet wrote:
Did they ever find that girl?

Arrested the Guy and found the girl unharmed......well, before her parents get to her.

Also to add: The Sajin Komamura cosplayer they featured in the clip wasn't the guy. Totally different guy.

Jedi Master wrote:
I'm surprised a certain other website infamous for sensationalist anime news hasn't posted this story.

Unless it has a Chinese/Japanese slant, then not in a chance in hell. Ever notice on that site most of the "sex slave" stories involve China or Japan?
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
Oi, to all the people victim blaming, stop it, stop it now. (Mario1234567 special mention to you calling the girl who was kidnapped, abused, and nearly murdered as “extremely easy”. Words that describe you aren't allowed on the ANN forums.)

To the people responding to the article about a with “Oh god this better not make me look bad”, congratulations you're a different kind of un-allowed word. There are crazies in every demographic, who like to make a hobby of doing horrible horrible things. You don't respond to a story about a person's trauma with “Well not all otaku are like that”.

Both of these statements are victim blaming. I'm perplexed how you can make these two comments back to back, drawing polar opposite conclusions, without seeing the common thread? The girl's victimization was at the hands of Sir Galahad, and his crimes are heinous, and she doesn't deserve the blame for the pain he inflicted on her. On the same token, the Sun Times newspaper in particular is fishing around for other scapegoats and has latched on the the anime convention and its attendees as a somehow relevant factor. (?)

We've done nothing to deserve that blame either, and I'm not sure why you think it would be okay to defend the victim while calling us "un-allowed" names for defending ourselves? The only person to blame for the crime is this sicko, agreed? We ought to be speaking out against this and distancing ourselves from the perpetrator to make it clear that our fandom isn't okay with that kind of behavior. Instead, what I'm seeing is a bunch of people collectively accepting that blame and making bad faith claims about the character of other anime fans, even though there's no evidence that a crime like this is any more likely inside anime fandom, than outside in the wider world that each of us is also a part of.

I'm sorry, what?
I'm not quite sure were this went all of a sudden. Let's see, sicko only person to blame, yes, distance ourselves and make it clear it's unacceptable, double yes, ah here's where I think the problem lies:

YOU'RE NOT THE VICTIM HERE!

The people who like to watch anime, and go to conventions are in no way being victimized. A mainstream media source is saying something stupid about a geeky subculture, and trying to tie it to violence of some sort. Yes that doesn't happen all the damn time. That doesn't make the people who are interested in the hobby victims of anything, and I'm astonished you're trying to compare that to what the poor girl went through.
Banden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
YOU'RE NOT THE VICTIM HERE!

Keep it civil please? I'm not firing bolded exclamations at you, please show me the same courtesy?

I think I made my point pretty clear. Obviously the rest of anime fandom hasn't been sexually assaulted, I thought I covered that explicitly? However, the newspaper has chosen to use this terrible story of an horrible sexual assault to direct their readers' attention to anime conventions and anime fandom in general, as if that has anything to do with explaining the girl's ordeal. It introduces the crime on that basis and closes the story on that basis.

Publishing that for 300,000 daily readers is terribly prejudicial to a group of people who have their own social adjustment problems but have generally been extremely welcoming towards the participation of women, transpeople, gay and lesbian people, and various marginalized subcultures. If that means anything to you, and you value social justice, you should be every bit as outraged as I am about this newspaper's libeling of the convention and the fan community. Only one person is guilty of this crime: The perpetrator. It is unacceptable for any of the rest of us to be looked to as an excuse. The victim - who is likely an anime fan herself - or anyone else involved in anime fandom. Blaming a subculture for crimes it isn't responsible for has very real consequences which may or may not be as bad as what the victim in this case has had inflicted on her.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
So you admit to not even caring about the topic and just want to flex your fingers by being argumentative, disruptive, and argue semantics rather than a person's point. That's kind of what a troll is. Just saying.

I'm not the one calling people names or being dishonest about what they believe or don't believe.

A "troll" invites disharmony by combining a grain of truth with an emotionally vindictive attitude earmarked with a sense of affected superiority and pernicious self-interest. They rarely (if ever) acknowledge the gaps in their own logic so as to continually degrade people by making them feel a need to "prove" their worth to him or her. At some point projection, reflexivity, and mirroring will enter into it, too.

The kicker is that it makes no difference to the troll but causes the other person emotional distress.

PS: The Miyazaki case is fascinating and I suggest everybody read up on it as much as they can if they're concerned about media paranoia and otaku.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
lunaladyoflight wrote:

The guy always gave me a bad vibe when I saw him at conventions :/ Bleh such a freaking creeper.

I'm going to put aside the usual stuff we hear when we're younger about accepting things that seem different to us... it doesn't fall into what I'm about to say.

Why? Simple. All too often, we ignore our initial reactions to certain situations and proceed as though nothing is wrong. In many cases, nothing is wrong and life progresses as it should. However, in some situations, things go bad. I'm willing to bet that before this girl realized the situation she was in, she probably had a feeling similar to the one you described having.

I'll bet serious coin on it.

Point I'm getting at is simple. We're the result of evolution. Part of that evolution was developing a sense of when things aren't quite "right". That feeling you get? It's been developed after hundeds of thousands of years (or more) and has served to help keep the species alive.

Listen to it. It's better to be a little skittish and later realize that nothing was wrong, than it is to find yourself in a situation like the article described (or worse).

/for the haters... not the girl's fault; plenty of folks out there who will be more than happy to hurt you if you get the chance
//end of security weenie chat
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm willing to bet that before this girl realized the situation she was in, she probably had a feeling similar to the one you described having.

This is assuming the female in question didn't bring in her fair share of weird into the equation and might have caused similar uneasy feelings among others at the con. Then again they didn't just meet at the con. They met on Facebook and had undisclosed dialogues that led to a real life face to face. Soon after their face to face she moved in with the guy of her own freewill. I am not blaming the girl. I am saying both have some amount of blame for this situation there just isn't allow against being stupid.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
This is assuming the female in question didn't bring in her fair share of weird into the equation and might have caused similar uneasy feelings among others at the con. Then again they didn't just meet at the con. They met on Facebook and had undisclosed dialogues that led to a real life face to face. Soon after their face to face she moved in with the guy of her own freewill. I am not blaming the girl. I am saying both have some amount of blame for this situation there just isn't allow against being stupid.

Fair points.

However, I'm not looking for blame. I'm looking at how the situation could have been avoided. I make no assumptions about anyone involved... just trying to pass along a bit of wisdom.

Where it happened, how they met, etc. Not relevant to what I'm trying to say, which is that I'll bet that at some point before things hit the fan I'm willing to bet that there was a feeling that something wasn't "right". It happens to most of us. Listen to that feeling.

Whether you're at a con, at a hotel, out on the town, at school, etc.. If you have a sense that something isn't quite right with what you're doing, or the situation in general, then odds are there's a good reason for your body to be telling you that. Listen to that feeling and react accordingly. Yes, you might feel a little foolish at times, but often enough it's that sense that something is amiss that can keep you out of harm's way.

There's a reason that what I'm describing is a specific topic taught to people who are first responders. Evolution helped us to hone that reaction for a very good reason. Don't simply ignore it.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
What I am trying to say is that the two involved were bird's of a feather(Appearance alone didn't set of evolutionary red flags because they were enough alike) that got along fine until the crimes were committed. Also the key part of evolution is that the unfit ones eventually die from their own unfitness, it's not just that things progressively get better.
seigakuduelist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
This man was in the anime club I run in Chicago. He was removed in July due to inactivity. This is very disturbing because he was in my home a few times at our meetings.

I just hope the rest of the world doesn't start thinking that we anime/manga fans are all crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
What I am trying to say is that the two involved were bird's of a feather(Appearance alone didn't set of evolutionary red flags because they were enough alike) that got along fine until the crimes were committed.

Maybe. Maybe not. Unless you know the people involved, it's hard to say for certain. Obviously there was enough in common for things to progress as they did, but it's pretty doubtful that one day, out of the blue, the idea popped into someone's head that this would be a fun way to pass the time.

I've rarely heard an account (in similar cases, not to mention frauds, etc.) where the victim didn't have some sense that something was amiss. In more times than I care to relate, their response was to ignore that feeling (though, as you pointed out, sometimes that realization came too late).

Quote:
Also the key part of evolution is that the unfit ones eventually die from their own unfitness, it's not just that things progressively get better.

It does for those who survive. As cold as that sounds, it why I tell folks to listen to that "spidey sense" when it goes off. It's been developed over millenia as a product from those who managed to survive. Don't let that inherited benefit go to waste.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7