• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Steins;Gate Episodes 1-24 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
fun fact the visual novel is fully translated right now... but this anime was one of the best of spring/summer 2011.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I've been keeping an eye on this series ever since the positive views started popping up in the ANN 2011 Spring Preview. Looking forward to Funimation's release (preferably BD format with an English dub).
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I was really excited about this show when it started but my excitement has tappered off especially after around episode 16 or so, also the science in the show at one point is neigh impossible for it to actually work. I have currently been busy with other stuff but I am on episode 22, and I have enjoyed it, just not nearly as much as I would have liked to. I do have to say though that these charcters are very stereotypical (you could say caricatures but I highly doubt that fits or forgot to be funny), they are just underused. Mayushii is very clearly based on nodame, from nodame cantablee, you can see this in the charcter designs, cute way of talking, way they act and talk to the main character. then there is Kurisu who is based off kirino from oreimo who is based off every sister tsundare charcter in existence. then you have daru who is supposed to be some character from genshiken I would think (I have not seen genshiken). then you have the shrine madien/ extremely effiment guy and waitress/cat girl. then you have the two original charcters both of which are under used, and both of which get undervalued by their D-Mail episode in the second half of the series.

Stein;s gate can be fun and does a lot right, but don't expect much from it, it is hardly the next higurashi or even umineko (there is not a umineko anime) level series, and it is not a great scifi series this is a light fun series, with sci-fi references and a quirky cast mashed together that makes you think it will do something better then it does in it's second half.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
As far as the dub, I think FUNI will be able to match most of the roles to my liking. The tough one will be Okabe. Mamoru Miyano really nailed it.

Okabe's 'mad scientist' laugh will be the clincher for me.

I'm looking forward to the dub, since I plan on watching this series for a second time. Having it in English will let me to pick up on little visual nuggets I likely missed out on the first go around.

Tenebrae wrote:
After the trainwreck that was the other semicolon anime, I wasn't expecting very much of S;G as it comes from the same source. So you can imagine my surprise when it actually turns out to be very good. One of the top shows of the year and on my to-buy list.

That other 'semicolon anime' was awful enough that I almost passed up on the first episode of Steins;Gate. Man, am I ever glad I trusted my gut. A surprisingly, fun series with a really memorable cast. I understand even better why huke is such a sought after designer in Japan. Can't wait to own the BD; don't mess it up, Funi, please.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Carlo is usually harsh in marks. This time he does not fail to be objective in terms of essential analysis, but the mark "A" is a failure, considering admitted (and, to some, glaring) "shaky logic" of this project's concept. The mark objectively has to be no higher than "A-" (which is still great, since the anime overall is impressive).
RainOfSteel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I went to the streaming page, and it let me know it could not be shown in the USA.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Seljuk wrote:
Chaos;HEAd was one of the worst adaptations in anime history. But you're right, the anime was pretty terrible. However, Nitro+ has some amazing stories/games. This adaptation was just handled by different people, and kept much truer to the source. I recommend reading it too, as the english translation of the VN is almost complete.

Oh hell yeah. I watched the first episode of Steins;Gate anyway, and it didn't really hold my interest and I was considering dropping it, but something in the back of my head told me this is a bit familiar and was confident it would get very good later. Sure enough that ended up being the case, and it wasn't until WAY later that I finally figured out why: Hiroshi Hamasaki was the director.

I LOVE the other 2 shows he directed (Texhnolyze and Shigurui), and they both follow the same pattern. They start out really weird and artsy, without any clue as to what is going on (Shigurui to a much lesser degree in this regard, but it is a lot shorter of a series), until finally everything eventually starts coming together (and/or he finally gets the artsy-ness out of his system) into an awesome show. Of course, in the days when everyone seems to have the attention span of a monkey on Speed, few people seem to have the patience to wait until shows get good. IMO that's what killed Texhnolyze, it took way too long to get started and a lot of people probably stopped watching after the first disc (thankfully the whole series was released anyway!).
bfbbrown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the show, frankly. I'm on the last episode now (just beginning), and I don't see what people find so appealing. To answer my question, I'll reread ANN's review and the comments made so far and maybe update this comment.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Metanomaly wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
awesome show and i look forward to funimation's dub.

Listening to the dub will likely result in missing a lot of the great characterization and Japanese voice work. Watch the sub on Crunchyroll.

And who the hell are you to decide that?

Good god, two posts in and the elitist sub-lovers are ALREADY here.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Metanomaly wrote:
Listening to the dub will likely result in missing a lot of the great characterization and Japanese voice work. Watch the sub on Crunchyroll.

Shouldn't you have said that six or seven months ago? It just seems like a pointless reply so far from the posting date... Were you asleep at the switch when the thread came about?

I may hardly ever listen to dubs since I generally only listen to foreign products in their original languages, but I don't object to their presence.
badox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
Nayu wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Metanomaly wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
awesome show and i look forward to funimation's dub.

That is assuming that the dub is not a better Characterization and voice work them the Japanese like Oh! Edo Rocket so obviously was.
So, please wait for the dub so then you can chose for yourself.

Why wait? Go watch it on Crunchyroll immediately.

I think everydaygamer's original post made it pretty clear he is excited for the dub *because* he enjoyed the sub. Its not unusual to watch things more than once, especially when multiple formats are available (stream/DVD, dub/sub).

I think the main reason why people watch it again should be the extra content and the HD. The HD one can actually give you a better feeling.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
One of the best series I've watched last year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

To be fair, the Japanese voice-work was pretty amazing (except for Mayuri sounding retarded, as in literally low-IQ mentally deficient). Mamoru Miyano got an award for his role in this show, and he thoroughly deserved it. It's an amazing performance to be sure.
billataho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To be fair, the Japanese voice-work was pretty amazing (except for Mayuri sounding retarded, as in literally low-IQ mentally deficient).

She sounded fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2