• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Jersey's Yurisai to Host U.S. Premiere of Simoun

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that a series can have enough fan interest to be premiered at a convention, even a small convention, but not have enough backing by it's licensor to have an English dub produced. Yaoi manga sells well and Yuri manga seems to be doing well too. Clearly Yaoi anime is profitable enough to keep getting licensed and released in singles and likely the same with Yuri, so why are these genres treated as red-headed step children?

I'm just not buying that Media Blasters can't produce an English dub and still turn a decent profit. Their business practices just don't make sense to me at all.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering, is yuri really that much of a niche as yaoi? Considering there are more anime fans that are guys (feel free to prove me wrong), I thought guys would go nuts over girl-on-girl action? Or is it the fact that most guys prefer physical girl-on-girl action (like what you see in most hentai) rather than the romantic aspects?
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Simoun is an amazing ... I for one will buy the dvds even if a Dub is not produced.

Perhaps media blasters doesn't have enough meat and potatoes projects (like really popular titles that make money) that allow them to spend money on niche titles. I don't know the media blasters library that well, so I can't say for sure.
radda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
It's sad that a series can have enough fan interest to be premiered at a convention, even a small convention, but not have enough backing by it's licensor to have an English dub produced. ...Their business practices just don't make sense to me at all.

Simoun is a very niche title, so I doubt it'll sell very well at all. Kudos to Media Blasters for even attempting to release something like this.

The absence of a dub is actually a good thing in my opinion, since it keeps the cost down. MB's Kashimashi DVDs where hella cheap. I don't listen to dubs anyway, so it's no great loss to me. I know I'm not in the majority opinion here though, which is a shame.

At least this is better than Bandai Visual's releases. No dub at $50 for two episodes is what makes no sense to me.
yuricon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I'm wondering, is yuri really that much of a niche as yaoi? Considering there are more anime fans that are guys (feel free to prove me wrong), I thought guys would go nuts over girl-on-girl action? Or is it the fact that most guys prefer physical girl-on-girl action (like what you see in most hentai) rather than the romantic aspects?

I can't "prove" you wrong, but I can say with assurance that Yuricon membership is just about evenly divided between men and women, with perhaps a slight skew to the female. Maybe 55/45 percent women/men.

Simoun is niche more because it is a complex story, with a multi-faceted socio-political landscape and no clear answers, than because it is Yuri or not. The large portion of fandumb simply has no patience for series like this. I'm thrilled that Media Blasters is releasing it, because I consider it to be the best series I watched in 2006.

Cheers,

Erica

Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
http://okazu.blogspot.com
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1