• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Eva Film Remake to Add Redesigned EVAs, New Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Proman: Not if it's more of Shinji-and by definition Anno-wanking in front of the camera.

Come on, you telling me that Anno associates himself with a male character? Especially one that knows how to seize the moment Wink ?

And you telling me that wasn't one of the highlights of the movie for you Smile ? He wasn't doing it at us, he was doing it with us.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:38 am Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Proman: Not if it's more of Shinji-and by definition Anno-wanking in front of the camera.

Technically the wanking took place off-screen.

Just sayin'.
spoiler[But the fact that he made Shinji hammer his helmet-head over an injured unconscientious girl in a hospital says a lot about just how f**ked up Anno's mind is, ] and Shinji said it for him in the script. Wink

Proman wrote:

And you telling me that wasn't one of the highlights of the movie for you Smile ? He wasn't doing it at us, he was doing it with us.
That says it all. I guess Anno really did know who his audience was. Wink
Arcwave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:48 am Reply with quote
Anno is not f****d up. And never was.

What goes through Shinji's mind IS a reality of some people in the world which we live in; Anno was just brave enough to bring it to life. American Hollywood would never do that. Honestly, I think they're scared to.

/j
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:21 am Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:
Anno is not f****d up. And never was.

What goes through Shinji's mind IS a reality of some people in the world which we live in; Anno was just brave enough to bring it to life. American Hollywood would never do that. Honestly, I think they're scared to.

/j
Actually they would. They just wouldn't put their real names in the credits, no joking aside. Wink
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:43 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
thanks for spoiling it for rest of the people who hasn't seen it.....

Wait, what? I am the last person that would purposefully spoil something for anybody. I don't think me mentioning she had interesting glasses spoils absolutely anything -- somebody already mentioned she had glasses, anyway. It was just my opinion. I'm sorry that offended you; I certainly can't stand spoilers myself and didn't see how that was one.
(I mean, some people consider just plain knowing, say, what characters show up in an anime adaptation of a game a spoiler, but I try to avoid major things!)

Unless you meant the Kaji and Asuka thing, and that's even less of a spoiler. It's been stated this movie goes up to around episode 6, and they both show up in episode 8.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
@Zac: I never said they did take over Geneon's "catalog", I just said they're gonna have even more money flow with getting paid to handle their distribution, marketing and sales (I believe I said, and I quote "they got all that Geneon money coming in", as in all the cash they're going to be banking from handling those departments for them).

How did you misunderstand my post?

@Gatsu: Thing is, though, that I seriously doubt Gainax and all their investors are going to want to go with Bandai Visual with this in the states at least, due to their shoddy handling of properties recently (overpriced barebones DVDs, lack of dub), and unless they go all out (which I doubt at this point BV could even put forth the effort required to make it worth their time) and get the original english VAs to fly out and dub it, then market the hell out of it (when was the last time they really marketed anything?), then by default, it won't yield the kind of profit it could with ADV at the helm (including theatrical releases, etc).

I just sincerely doubt that ADV won't be instantly granted the movies at this point, and if they don't, they'd do everything in their power to get it (to parrot other cynical posters, "they've been milking it for nearly a decade now").
douglas2k6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
ADV has more than enough money to purchase the rights to this film, something they couldn't do back when the previous EVA movies came to the America.

ADV has becoming increasingly richer no doubt due to the profits if them having the EVA series in their hands.

I just hope whoever gets the rights release the film(s) with more extras and special features rather than the bare bone release that Manga Ent. did.
icepick314

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
douglas2k6 wrote:
ADV has more than enough money to purchase the rights to this film, something they couldn't do back when the previous EVA movies came to the America.

ADV has becoming increasingly richer no doubt due to the profits if them having the EVA series in their hands.

I just hope whoever gets the rights release the film(s) with more extras and special features rather than the bare bone release that Manga Ent. did.

i enjoyed Manga's release...the audio commentary by Amanda Winn Lee made it all worth it...that and DTS audio....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Invader:
Quote:
@Zac: I never said they did take over Geneon's "catalog", I just said they're gonna have even more money flow with getting paid to handle their distribution,

I doubt Geneon's paying ADV. It's probably more of a mutual profit-share type of joint venture. [I.E. they split money from the sales.]

Quote:
@Gatsu: Thing is, though, that I seriously doubt Gainax and all their investors are going to want to go with Bandai Visual with this in the states at least, due to their shoddy handling of properties recently (overpriced barebones DVDs, lack of dub),

Bandai Visual's been in the home video business for over two decades in Japan, and Gainax doesn't really care whether their properties are dubbed or have extras here. What matters to Gainax is how well their properties do first in Japan, and then internationally; so if the Japanese Evantologists are willing to pay an arm and a leg for the R2 dvd releases, then Gainax will continue to work with Bandai Visual. ADV will have to make bold promises which surpass Bandai Visual's record, in order to get the rights.

Quote:
and unless they go all out (which I doubt at this point BV could even put forth the effort required to make it worth their time) and get the original english VAs to fly out and dub it, then market the hell out of it (when was the last time they really marketed anything?), then by default, it won't yield the kind of profit it could with ADV at the helm (including theatrical releases, etc).

I doubt a sub-only release is going to hurt the movies to a series like Eva, since they rely on a number of literary references which would require reading anyway. Ghost in the Shell: Innocence not being dubbed was a different story, though, since most people associate the series with story as told through the dub actors, not the terminology.

Quote:
I just sincerely doubt that ADV won't be instantly granted the movies at this point, and if they don't, they'd do everything in their power to get it (to parrot other cynical posters, "they've been milking it for nearly a decade now").

They've been milking the tv show and the dating sim manga, but they have too many divisions right now to risk it all on four movies.

douglas:
Quote:

No, they have a lot of subsidiaries worth a potentially large amount of money; there's a difference. The prospect of putting any of those companies up for sale, in case the Eva movies don't make enough profit to put them in the black after high licensing fees, may not be feasible for ADV.
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
Dune wrote:

One can get that impression from 10+years of Gainax merchandise, unfortunately...

That's why I ignore the merchandise. In all seriousness, though, I'm firmly convinced that Anno's only fanservice-y work in the terms mentioned above is Gunbuster. (A great show, don't get me wrong.) Eva is just...not.

Thanks for the review, Michi! I'm glad that it turned out well, and am very excited to see this myself, as soon as the chance arises.

And Nadia.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and Gainax doesn't really care whether their properties are dubbed or have extras here

If it effects their international sales, why the hell not? (and you're fooling yourself if you think it wouldn't)

Quote:
ADV will have to make bold promises which surpass Bandai Visual's record, in order to get the rights.

Considering their relationship with Gainax in terms of Evangelion, I don't see why they wouldn't trust them with releasing the movies. I mean, they've made a ton for a long time on the TV series, and are working on trying to get the live-action project off the ground together, what makes you think they wouldn't just go with ADV?

Bandai Visual deals with the Eva property in Japan (including merchandise etc), that's for sure, but then why didn't they release the series or movies here in the states? I think you're making assumptions based on the Japanese market that are utterly flawed when applied to the North American market.

Quote:
I doubt a sub-only release is going to hurt the movies to a series like Eva, since they rely on a number of literary references which would require reading anyway.

If you honestly think that sub-only is a good idea for a major release such as Eva, then you're crazy. You ostracize any viewers who don't like subtitles, and then you require everyone else to deal with the various high-speed dialog subs going by, while trying to follow the film and read soft subs for background text (signs etc). A decent portion of people who have/would watch Eva (ie anime fans) don't really read much, and most likely don't get the religious/literary references, so that point is moot.

While I don't personally have a problem doing so, you're alienating a decent portion of the customer base who just wouldn't buy it if it didn't give a dub option. This isn't gunbuster for christ's sake, it's Eva. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they released it sub-only.

Also, you seem to make a lot of assumptions about the economic status of ADV, and that they "are stretched too far" for their own good (implying that they really aren't doing that good, and are just posturing).

Feel free to post any sources for these imaginary figures, because I don't believe anything has been stated about how good/bad they've been doing.

They seem to be doing a hell of a lot better than Geneon, that's for damn sure.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
Invader:
Quote:

If it effects their international sales, why the hell not? (and you're fooling yourself if you think it wouldn't)

They don't care about the international market, when they do fine in Japan.

Quote:
Considering their relationship with Gainax in terms of Evangelion, I don't see why they wouldn't trust them with releasing the movies.

It's not about trust, but about money and market penetration. ADV may have done well with Eva, but Nadia and Abenobashi were only marginal successes here. Can Bandai Visual get more gaijin to buy shows like those-such as Gunbuster-if they had the new Eva movies? I'd imagine that's what Gainax would like to see happen.

Quote:
I mean, they've made a ton for a long time on the TV series, and are working on trying to get the live-action project off the ground together, what makes you think they wouldn't just go with ADV?

They didn't go with ADV on Mahoromatic or FLCL.

Quote:
Bandai Visual deals with the Eva property in Japan (including merchandise etc), that's for sure, but then why didn't they release the series or movies here in the states?

The U.S. market was an afterthought for BV back then.

Quote:
I think you're making assumptions based on the Japanese market that are utterly flawed when applied to the North American market.

I don't think so in this case. The fact that ADV can sell the Eva tv series so many times for roughly the same average price means that fans would be willing to pay the value of an entire season for one movie.

Quote:
If you honestly think that sub-only is a good idea for a major release such as Eva, then you're crazy. You ostracize any viewers who don't like subtitles, and then you require everyone else to deal with the various high-speed dialog subs going by, while trying to follow the film and read soft subs for background text (signs etc).

I agree it would alienate dub fans, but not as badly as other BV releases.

Quote:
A decent portion of people who have/would watch Eva (ie anime fans) don't really read much, and most likely don't get the religious/literary references, so that point is moot.

They wouldn't have entire faqs on the terms if they didn't read.

Quote:
Also, you seem to make a lot of assumptions about the economic status of ADV, and that they "are stretched too far" for their own good (implying that they really aren't doing that good, and are just posturing).

I didn't say they're doing badly, just that they're not in the position to take any major risks right now.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote
Um, Bandai Visual doesn't handle Evangelion in Japan. That would be Star Child.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:00 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge: Um, no, Starchild handles the music.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:03 am Reply with quote
I still fail to see how anything with "Evangelion" on it constitutes a major risk.

To quote George Castanza: "It's gold, Jerry! Gold!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7