• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Hotels Make Twice as Much as Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
This is some really WHOA news today.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I found the Japan Times article online: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fb20070826dr.html

For anyone who wants to read more on the subject.

As for the profit issue, $17 billion is high, but those are the umbers quoted in the article. I'll try to find out where the number comes from.

-t
Tsukae

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I would just like to say that most of the time when people go to love hotels in Japan that they don't have sex at all. The main reason they go is for private time with each other and do things other than sex.
mskala

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Tsukae wrote:
I would just like to say that most of the time when people go to love hotels in Japan that they don't have sex at all.

In that case, it makes things even worse - because then we have to subtract at least half of the 1% to account for couples who check into the love hotel but don't have sex, and then the ones who DO do the deed make up 50% of the total for the whole population. So the average Japanese is getting laid at most once per 100 nights.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
eloyabun wrote:
So, this article contradicts last month "anime is better than sex" (accordly to internet research). Sex is still way more popular than anime Laughing

Not necessarily.

We already know anime dvds are obscenely priced to sell to the hardcore fan market so the rest of the anime industry income is the same as our tv here--commercials, merchandising, etc. How many people who watch this or that show bother to buy the dvd set when itr comes out vs how many are satisfied with just watching it "for free" (for the costs the pay for the channel, cable, etc)?

So it just shows more people in Japan think sex is worth paying for. It may also be an indication of the level of cheating going on--are the users going to the love hotel so their current significant other won't find out?
saini85

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how this news is anime related. You're simply comparing the earnings of one industry to the anime industry. Why not post anime's earning as compared to sony or how horrible xbox is doing in japan?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Of course it's anime related.

How many times have you seen/heard a ref to one in anime & manga. This just proves it's not an overused plot device--they really are popular.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Of course it's anime related.

How many times have you seen/heard a ref to one in anime & manga. This just proves it's not an overused plot device--they really are popular.

Actually it's not related. How many times have you seen rice in anime and manga? Or trees?
Owozifa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
If you think about it, this all makes perfect sense. Private time is at a premium in Japan. You're married and you have kids in a small house or apartment. What are you gonna do? Another layer added on, your elderly mother lives with you in this rapidly decreasing space. No wonder it's hard to get it on, and when they do they go out of the house to do it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:57 am Reply with quote
mskala wrote:
In that case, it makes things even worse - because then we have to subtract at least half of the 1% to account for couples who check into the love hotel but don't have sex, and then the ones who DO do the deed make up 50% of the total for the whole population. So the average Japanese is getting laid at most once per 100 nights.

You know, that's not that as bad as you make it sound. 1% of the population is based on the total population, including children, elderly, single people, the infirm and various other groups that may not have (or even want to have) sex as often as the average, healthy, sexually active adult.

There are much better statistics to look at to see how often that category of people have sex in Japan, and similar studies for other countries as well (so that you can compare apples to apples). And yes, Japan is still very low on the list for frequency, but the disparity between Japan and the USA isn't quite what you've gathered from this article.

-t
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
I don't know about Japan or China, but in South Korea there are no "guest" restrictions. I checked into a love hotel with three other guys because it was the cheapest hotel around, and it had a lot of conveniences like internet in the room, a projection tv, and a full spa in the bathroom. They are quite convenient for travellers on a low budget, and a lot of people don't have sex in them. Of course, that's Korea, not Japan, but I'll tell you more when I move to Japan next week.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
No surprise here. Article reinforces the fact. Thanks for the cooky update!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3