• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-31]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
The press release only says "certain" marketing rolls, meaning since they noted it directly i don't think geneon is totally giving up their internal marketing department.

-Gabe

(yay 100th post)

I sure hope your right about that. No more Bang Zoom dubs would suck hard.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What does all this mean for the fans? Well, your Geneon DVDs will likely now have ADV logos on them.

damn... the situation's that bad?

there's really only one thing a girl has to do to attract a male otaku: be a girl that's attracted to male otaku. Laughing

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
No Flake of the Week? Answerman, perhaps the crusade is over. No more questions about fan subs, dubbing, loli, DBZ, or Naruto. What will you do with all the free time now? Perhaps you could take up knitting. . .
Karine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the dating tips for girls. Wink
If my boyfriend was that into Super Mario though, I'd be a little disturbed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They can't turn a profit, so they're bailing.

They could, if they had shows people wanted.

Quote:
I'd be shocked if ADV didn't raid the deep Geneon catalog for shows they can release onto the market in the form of cheap thinpaks.

FY's long overdue for one. Though it would've been nice to see a Sherlock Hound one before it expired.

Quote:
Personally, I don't think this is a good thing for the anime industry. It's nothing against ADV; congratulations to them on their acquisition. But Geneon's looming absence as a major player in the industry will leave a crater.

I disagree on it being harmful. In terms of A titles, the company only had Hellsing Ultimate left, and chose to split "profits" with Bandai Visual. Plus they took forever to release their anime at competitive prices long after people had forgotten about them. They were clearly becoming irrelevant for a while. ADV
is good at selling niche anime better than the competition, and they'll help contribute to a more diverse market than the one which existed during the saturation period. They might even convince Bandai Visual to see the light about their over-priced anime.

Quote:
They were pleasant people to work with,

Only whenever they actually listened, anyway...

Quote:
2. If you're dating a guy who's really in to lolicon, and you're over 10 years old, you're already at a big disadvantage. Consider anti-aging makeup, and a wardrobe overhaul that includes lots of frilly dresses. The bushes next to the grade school playground are an ideal spot for a first date.

I'm afraid to ask, but do you personally know anyone like that?

Quote:
3. In the fanboy world, there's nothing hotter than a girl who likes video games. If you don't like video games, just fake it. If you're no good at faking it, just buy a Super Mario costume, cut the crotch out and pose suggestively on his bed. He'll be putty in your hands.

It's all about role-playing like Samus, Zelda, or Peach. Rolling Eyes
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Awnsermans on a roll.

I dont know why, but I kinda brushed off the whole Geneon/ADV thing as no big deal. I guess it will have a much bigger impact than I though.
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
I'm still not sure what to think of this Geneon/ADV thing. It'll be easier for me to form a lasting opinion after I see what changes are made.

And I totally agree that a girl being into video games is the way into a geeky guy's heart Very Happy
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I feel quite the opposite, especially after the savage treatment they gave Count of Monte Cristo and Saiyuki Reload/Gunlock, among others *shudders to think what they may do to if they got ahold of Romeo x Juliet*

Besides, there's always Viz and Bandai for them to work for.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
Quote:

I feel quite the opposite, especially after the savage treatment they gave Count of Monte Cristo and Saiyuki Reload/Gunlock, among others *shudders to think what they may do to if they got ahold of Romeo x Juliet*

Besides, there's always Viz and Bandai for them to work for.

I'm not so much worried about losing Bang Zoom dubs as I am New Generation dubs. A lot of their recent work has come from Geneon, and a lot of my favorite dubs have come from them (notably Ergo Proxy, Hellsing Ultimate, Texhnolyze and Paranoia Agent). They're my favorite dubbing studio, and I would hate to see their amount of work decline because "Geneon" titles are being dubbed in Texas. Especially since I dislike ADV dubs.

Also, to the last response to Zac's question, who says 4 episodes per disc should be the standard: If you're living in North America, well, 4 episodes IS the standard. The only 2 episode DVDs I know of are a few recent sub-only releases and Gantz, which is now several years old, but those are by and large a rarity.

Last edited by Cowboy Cadenza on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
Don't worry about the Lack of Flake, Zac- I'm sure that puppy is thinking about how Funimation is going to re-rape One Piece becuase they're recording a new dub and making a flashy, multi-colored karaoke subtitled only version and mailing it free to everyone on Anime Web Forum X. Or something like that.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
Looks like they've worked on other stuff, so I wouldn't doubt they'd keep at it with Bandai, Viz, Media Blasters and doing other stuff like video games.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:

Hey, if you're lucky & ADV is taking over dubbing, you could always get the "Ghost Stories" version of any future Geneon title you could name.

The friends need to have a meeting of the minds to decide if they still want to continue their friendshp. If yes, they'll have to make some compromises, if not divorce just like in a marriage. Lots of married people have many outside interests but also value their relationship.
My teen spends her time roleplaying on the net usually a specific type of character, but for her best friend since 6th Grade (Seniors this year) she plays the opposite sometimes. She HATES people who chew with their mouths open which the friend does every so often-my teen keeps quiet because she values her friend more.
It just sort of sounds as though Answerman is suggesting throwing the baby out with the bathwater-that it's all over. It might be-as teens & adults move into relationships with the opposite sex, they often treat their long-time friends poorly, My teen has lost a couple friends to this. The person asking the question seems to have a few issues as well. Western graphic novels are no better or worse really-it's a matter of taste concerning the different story styles. I like the different flavor of manga. I've read my fair share of Western stuff in the past & grew weary of the sameness in it. It's almost as if the writer is (between the lines) saying "I've grown up, but my friend hasn't" when it's really more like the friend still likes (picking from a hat) Mexican food while the writer has discovered Italian & prefers it to Mexican.

I though Geneon has been cutting back their con presence for the last couple yrs. Several titles were simply put up for sale rather than being announced this year & we're getting a foreign dub apparently on some of their latest releases. Could the ADV deal be much worse than what we've seen the few months?
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen it, but it's not exactly a title that is up my alley.

Though I actually like Stephen Foster's dubs quite a bit. I know most people hate him, but he did a stellar job on Chevalier D'Eon and Saiyuki, so what he did to Ghost Stories doesn't really matter to me (especially since that sort of drastic rewrite isn't exactly common for ADV).

I own way more Funimation and ADV discs than anything else, and usually I am physically pained to listen to most of the dubs on Geneon discs, which makes me less inclined to buy the official discs (at the outlandish prices no less).

Again, if I can listen to the audio track alone, and know it's an anime, it's a bad dub IMO.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
Haven't seen it, but it's not exactly a title that is up my alley.

Though I actually like Stephen Foster's dubs quite a bit. I know most people hate him, but he did a stellar job on Chevalier D'Eon and Saiyuki, so what he did to Ghost Stories doesn't really matter to me (especially since that sort of drastic rewrite isn't exactly common for ADV).

I own way more Funimation and ADV discs than anything else, and usually I am physically pained to listen to most of the dubs on Geneon discs, which makes me less inclined to buy the official discs (at the outlandish prices no less).

Again, if I can listen to the audio track alone, and know it's an anime, it's a bad dub IMO.

All I can say is that Voices of a Distant Star is the WORST dubbing job on a DVD I own, other than Fantastic Children.

I know a lot of people like ADV dubs, but I feel like the acting is of a lesser quality than any company other than ones based in Singapore. I admittedly haven't heard a ton of ADV dubs, but that's what I've gotten out of what I've heard.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's a shame, because they've done some stellar work (I'm a long time animation enthusiast, theater person, and voice acting coach at my college), and typically a lot of voice acting in video games and anime doesn't attempt to make the characters sound like real people, regurgitating the same tired forced voice alterations that their actors are capable of, rendering their dub more akin to sounding like "a cartoon" rather than a piece of film with grounded acting (or in many cases, having all the actors perform monotone, making them all sound like robots, for example Witch Hunter Robin).

Granted not all of ADV's dubs are all up to snuff, but series like Kino's Journey, Rahxephon, Evangelion (had some STELLAR performances for the time), Gilgamesh, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Spriggan, and soforth have beautiful dubs that don't have a jarring vocal performance to take away the seriousness of the project.

I think a lot of that comes from the fact that they tap the local theater acting pool, and the actors are going at their performances from a different perspective.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8