• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Death Note English Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Light definitely brings about his own downfall, but I actually do like that about him. It makes him into a tragic hero type of character, with sheer arrogance being his number one fatal flaw. There were many times during the series where I thought that Light actually wasn't as smart as he thought he was (though admittedly the guy is pretty clever).

I'm really excited about this cast, I'll definitely try to catch a few episodes, provided YTV actually does air it at some point.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
While I enjoyed Brad Swaile as Amuro and Quatre, I have my doubts over whether he could pull of Light Yagami's (mostly) restrained insanity, especially at the end when it's not so restrained. His voice seems too soft to pull of a serious-minded character. I couldn't envision Light with any other voice but the Japanese voice actor, who supplied what was probably the best performance of the year.

I wonder who'll voice Near and Mello. I guess they'll cross that bridge when they get there.

Also, the dub voice actor of Vegeta playing the somewhat Vegeta-looking Ryuk ought to supply more than a few online jokes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I couldn't envision Light with any other voice but the Japanese voice actor, who supplied what was probably the best performance of the year.

It is an exceptional performance...and one that freaked me out quite a bit since I starting watching Death Note just after finishing Ouran Host Club, where the same seiyuu voices Tamaki who is probably Light's opposite in almost every way. Very disturbing (especially because Light does sometimes use a Tamaki-ish voice, usually when dealing with his family).
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Interesting speculations on the plot here. Basically, I agree with what Oronae said. This show is not about Light creating a new world. This show is a display of what man becomes when he is given the power of life and death with seemingly no drawbacks. Light could have easily ignored the investigation, but instead, he sought a rival. Just having the power wasn't enough unless he could match it against someone else's power. That's why there was a break / time-delay mid-series.

Personally, I like how this story is portrayed. It's not meant to be realistic. Instead, it does what good fantasy accomplishes so well: it gives a set of rules that aren't applicable to normal life, and through those rules brings out an inescapable side of humanity that we often chose to ignore. It brings up philosophical questions, like the meaning of justice, the paradoxical need that humans have for mercy, and obviously, the morals behind killing criminals. I would rank this amongst my top three favorite anime, and would happily set it beside stories like The Brothers Karamozav, Lord of the Flies, The Once and Future King, and the like, because of it's importance in addressing philosophical issues.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
I should note that the trailer currently found online does NOT feature the actual cast. In fact, the voices you hear there are not even Ocean actors. They showed a version of the trailer they showed at Anime Evolution had the final voice cast, and it literally sounded a thousand times better.

population_tire wrote:
only 12?!

Yes, which is likely why YTV won't be able to air the show yet.
Sommerstars8o8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote
Well as me being an huge Ocean Group VA fan am super excited ^^ i really cant wait see it .
MNanimefreak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
The trailer in english dub sucked...not very excited about the dub...

but I will give it a chance.
Ocean Deep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
I should note that the trailer currently found online does NOT feature the actual cast. In fact, the voices you hear there are not even Ocean actors. They showed a version of the trailer they showed at Anime Evolution had the final voice cast, and it literally sounded a thousand times better.

Thanks Pepperidge, glad to hear that you liked the trailer.

I'll officially confirm that, as Pepperidge noted, the trailer you see online was not dubbed by us at Ocean, and came out before we cast the show. We were very happy to preview it at our Anime Evolution panel on August 18, and let everyone who plays who in the series (as well as talk with some of the voice actors present). I know that Brad Swaile was a little nervous signing autographs into people's Death Notebooks!

We're very excited about this series, and that volume 1 release date can't come soon enough!

Cheers,

Corey Fischer
Ocean Productions Inc.
CloakBass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
````````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
CloakBass wrote:
I'm glad Ocean is bringing some new blood into the cast, I'm tired of listening to the same voice actors in different anime over and over with little change in voice (Ocean dubs being particularly guilty of this). Brad Swaile doesn't exactly sounds like a natural choice for Light, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and hope something amazing can come out of this. The Japanese cast was just too great and I hope I can say the same about the English.

For me, the only Ocean VA who never seems to change his voice from series to series is Richard Cox. I'm looking forward to the DN dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
CloakBass wrote:
I'm glad Ocean is bringing some new blood into the cast, I'm tired of listening to the same voice actors in different anime over and over with little change in voice (Ocean dubs being particularly guilty of this). Brad Swaile doesn't exactly sounds like a natural choice for Light, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and hope something amazing can come out of this. The Japanese cast was just too great and I hope I can say the same about the English.

Let's see...
Off the top of my head Kappei Yamaguchi is about 4th place (3rd?) on this site's most prolific casts, so that means the Japanese L is very much
Quote:
same voice actors in different anime over and over

I do adore his work.
Thank god the Japanese don't tire of VAs as quickly as those who listen in English seem to.
Again, off the top of my head, the VA for Light was Kiba in Wolf's Rain. The director made a big fuss over using an unknown cast for that title. All it says to me is we don't hear the vets doing what they do best because (most likely) the anime studio is cheaping out.

Light was always an immature jerk. He is a teen when the story starts out. He treats everyone, girls in particular, as things to be used & discarded. THe author never changed that aspect of Light's personality. All those little temper tantrums he played out mentally, that he was completely willing to kill his "friends" on the task force when he finished with them, his atrtitude toward his own father...Light was no hero.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Again, off the top of my head, the VA for Light was Kiba in Wolf's Rain

I thought that was Bosch
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Thank god the Japanese don't tire of VAs as quickly as those who listen in English seem to.

The Japanese do however have a lot more choice out there, so even if a seiyuu is prolific, they don't seem to be in everything quite as much as the English VAs do (also, because the Japanese system is different, the same actors don't always work together).

Royal Devil wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

Again, off the top of my head, the VA for Light was Kiba in Wolf's Rain

I thought that was Bosch

The Japanese voice for Light was Kiba in Wolf's Rain.
TexasAnimeFan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm still pretty new to anime, I don't think I've seen any of the VA's work. I've never been much of a "dub" person, but I'd like to see how this will work out.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Brad Swaile is one of my favorite VAs...

And he has to play someone I HATE. Anime hyper Greaaat...

I'm sorry, but I definitely love L.

I'm glad that Viz got a hold of it. Nothing against Funimation, really...but I just prefer the Ocean Group.

I'm quite intrigued by who is doing the voices of the characters, that's for sure. I've never been disappointed in any of the Ocean Group's dubs, so I'm not really going to judge too quickly. I mean, Brad did do the voice of Kyoske Dante in Soultaker. I loved it.

Anywho, if the dub isn't as great, I'm still going to buy the DVD. It will be bilingual after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4