• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Death Note English Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
While everyone is "supporting" the Japanese by downloading and ripping videos rather than purchasing it, and then freaking out when I say, "I like the Naruto dub!"

Sad but true Sad
I'm right there with you -- as a fansub watcher, I'm thoroughly embarrassed for my compatriots whenever I see somebody espousing the view of "The existence of an English dub ruins the anime, therefore I stick to fansubs." I've seen it not only with the big shows like Bleach and Naruto, but also with Lucky Star, Tale of Saiunkoku, and others. Maybe it's convenient memory loss obscuring the fact that DVDs (excepting 4kids and other edited DVDs) still have the Japanese track with subtitles? Of course if you point out that fact, you get the "DVD subs don't have karaoke and yellow subtitles make me sick" defense Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Subaru19

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't see Canada as being overseas, as you do not have to cross over any sea to get there from the US. I equate them as having the same quality as US companies. Just clarifying.

er yeah I hadn't thought that the term overseas has to have a sea involved. Well I've never heard of Odex, so I guess I'm lucky? I've been out of the anime loop for a long time so I guess that might be why.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

xD Couldn't quote the rest of your stuff, but I understand what you're saying. *passes a cookie.* Didn't know what else to do.

Thank you.

I know Koyasu has worked for a couple different agencies over the years, but a certain amount is also they do events over in Japan. People go to see these actors at live events, That is so unnimaginable here in the US. Could it work here? yeah, VA's go to cons & sign autographs, but to go to events, to buy cds of songs or dramas recorded by these actors is so different from how it happens here. I remember reading interview recently with Dave Wittenberg, I believe it was, who spoke of doing VA work as a hobby & having a day job because the VA work isn't enough to pay the bills. I really don't believe the top VA's in Japan have other day jobs once they become names like either Seki, Hoshi, Ishida, etc & it;s sad thye can't support themselves here. Granted, there's the whole "All the stars who never were are parking cars & pumping gas"-there are far more people who want to be actors than there are jobs for them in the US, And I know the rank & file VA's in Japan get paid precious little (Jonathan Klein of New Generation commented in March on this site that outside of those name VA's, the average VA in Japan makes about $100 per episode & they do cds, etc to suppliment their income, although it also seems as a shoe in to the anime also. Often the drama cds come first & the fans get used to the VA's on them & then the anime goes for the same VA's such as the cast change on the Saint Seiya Hades chapter going with the cd drama cast over the VA's from the series.)
I believe a lot of them either represent themselves or something similar at a certain point-I seem to recall seeing similar things about other VA's like Yuji Ueda. But the fact remains it seems like the more polls a VA lands in the top 10 on, the more the seem to get more work. And yeah, those polls are very much a popularity contest with the big titles landing several VA's on the poll.
On the Area 88 interviews, the director makes the comment that the vets came in & did their lines with barely a flub while the newbs had to do several takes to get it right which is exactly what I gamble the anime makers are looking at when they cast these titles. The director of Samurai Deeper Kyo said he cast all the vets because they would approach the show with a competitive air-that they were the best & the voice work does reflect this-it has some great performances from the Japanese cast.
Voice work has become a bit more respectable in the US as movie stars voice animated movies, but there's still very much of the attitude that a real actor performs in front of a camera or on stage. If one can't land those jobs, one settles for voice work in radio & commercials (with the similar belief that people who do voice work aren't as good looking as those who work in front of a camera. Character actors aren't usually all that much to look at, but they are usually as good or better than many top-grossing stars)

I don't know if I listened to Zechs in English. I usually listen to Koyasu's stuff in Japanese. If I like the English actor, I'll back it up & listen again in English, or I watch the show twice. but English is usually the easiest to watch, particularly after working all day long when reading subtitles puts me to sleep, so it takes several days to watch the subtitled stuff or I watch on weekends.
Drummond is the reason Vegeta sounds like a thug rather than the very nice, princely voice Ryo Horikawa used. He was Sakura's dad in Cardcaptors & Allen in Escaflowne. I remember reading an interview where he said he never listens to the Japanese version which sort of seemed arrogant to me unlike the Bang Zoom cast of Magic Knight Rayearth where Lex Lang I believe commented a lot of the actors watched the Japanese version prior to dubbing to get a feel for how the original was done.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

I know Koyasu has worked for a couple different agencies over the years, but a certain amount is also they do events over in Japan. People go to see these actors at live events, That is so unnimaginable here in the US. Could it work here? yeah, VA's go to cons & sign autographs, but to go to events, to buy cds of songs or dramas recorded by these actors is so different from how it happens here.

Were you speaking of the English or the Japanese?

CCSYueh wrote:

I remember reading interview recently with Dave Wittenberg, I believe it was, who spoke of doing VA work as a hobby & having a day job because the VA work isn't enough to pay the bills.

Yeah, it's a fact. Some VA's can do it. For example, though not a voice actor, Don LaFontaine is famous for his movie trailer announcer commercials, and he's recorded in other commercials and series as well. Voice Actors are "Actors" and they've been on TV. They're not total mainstream on camera, they do other types of acting work. And like acting, it's difficult to find work sometimes. Steve Blum is also an actor who gets endless work in voice over...and it took him years to get there. It's possible, but that's why VA's say "don't quit your day job."

CCSYueh wrote:

Voice work has become a bit more respectable in the US as movie stars voice animated movies, but there's still very much of the attitude that a real actor performs in front of a camera or on stage. If one can't land those jobs, one settles for voice work in radio & commercials (with the similar belief that people who do voice work aren't as good looking as those who work in front of a camera. Character actors aren't usually all that much to look at, but they are usually as good or better than many top-grossing stars)

I know one series that had their English VAs do character songs, and that was Tenchi Muyo.

CCSYueh wrote:

I don't know if I listened to Zechs in English. I usually listen to Koyasu's stuff in Japanese. If I like the English actor, I'll back it up & listen again in English, or I watch the show twice. but English is usually the easiest to watch, particularly after working all day long when reading subtitles puts me to sleep, so it takes several days to watch the subtitled stuff or I watch on weekends.
Drummond is the reason Vegeta sounds like a thug rather than the very nice, princely voice Ryo Horikawa used. He was Sakura's dad in Cardcaptors & Allen in Escaflowne. I remember reading an interview where he said he never listens to the Japanese version which sort of seemed arrogant to me unlike the Bang Zoom cast of Magic Knight Rayearth where Lex Lang I believe commented a lot of the actors watched the Japanese version prior to dubbing to get a feel for how the original was done.

I must say that I loved Drummond's voice as Vegeta. I wouldn't compare him "thug" like at all. His portral of Zechs for Gundam Wing is one I enjoyed much. I've preferred the English dub over the Japanese, even though I'm open to both of them.
Secondly, I don't feel Drummond's comment was arrogant. Some people may have their differences in how they do voice acting, and it's not required to listen to them, it could be a plus, but English VAs are different. Not better or worse, but they cannot "sound" Japanese, but they do try their best to portray the character in the best way possible, using their vocal talent.
voluptas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

While everyone is "supporting" the Japanese by downloading and ripping videos rather than purchasing it, and then freaking out when I say, "I like the Naruto dub!"

Ick....It does more than bother me. Except, Naruto's creator likes the dub. That would make me say, "Take THAT, anti-dub elists!!"

I love English dubs as well as the orginal Japanese, but I cannot stand sub elitist. They get on my freakin nerves with 'you're not a real fan unless you like subs.' Ugh! Anyway, the fact that the creator of Naruto likes the dub is just awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4