• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Submitted for Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:07 am Reply with quote
But in spite of bad marketing, I'm going for a low blow, and blame the fans. Because if it weren't for them, Millennium Actress would be the success story of 2003, and not Kill Bill. That's the kind of crap they've been watching ever since Umetsu ripped off Kon's style in Perfect Blue when he did Kite.
Wolf Tooth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:35 am Reply with quote
I hated Kill Bill. It was the worst movie I've seen in '03. I'm not shure with you guys, but I demanded my hour and half back and my money. Evil or Very Mad
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:22 pm Reply with quote
1. Kill Bill is not the success story of 2003.

2. Even if it were, so what? It's not like without Kill Bill most fans would have said "Hey, there isn't a Tarantino flick out-why don't we see an arthouse anime instead?"

3. Although it would be disingenuous to say there's no connection between popularity and the Oscars, what kind of Oliver Stone conspiracy theory would you have to cook up to show that something wasn't nominated for the animation catagory because of a (mostly) non-animated film? Why not blame Two Towers? Chee.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Lady Sango

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote
To bad no animes got nominated. Sad I still stand by my statement that Finding Nemo will win the oscar. I consider Finding Nemo to be this year's Shrek.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, better luck next year. I have to agree Finding Nemo will bag it for sure. Wink
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't blame Kill Bill, which didn't get nominated for anything either. I blame a certain film which has a team of characters trying to keep some rings out of the hands of the wrong people.

Curse you, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle! Oh, wait, I actually liked that one.

While I did pay to see Millenium Actress in the theatre once (at the world premiere in July 2001), I really, really would have liked it if I had actually been given a chance by Dreamworks to support it during its normal theatrical run, but the release was so limited that it skipped Montreal entirely. I fully understand why most mature-themed anime films only make it to arthouse cinemas, since the market for that sort of anime is very niche, in this case, it didn't even make it to a lot of the arthouse circuit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wolf Tooth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I guess some people don't know a master piece when they see one, even if it bit them in the face.

Of corse, the term master piece is defined diffrently, depending on who it is. Like my friend, he thinks that Soul Calubar II is better than the first one, even though I don't agree(not that I"m saying Soul Calubar II is a bad game, neather is Mellenium Actress is a bad movie).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4