• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comedy anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:03 am Reply with quote
judedudemude wrote:
then sgt. flog english dub is like shin chan english dub but in their own special way!

Okay, now you've got me picturing Keroro in dominatrix gear--
Which, I wouldn't put it past the series, has to be from an actual episode at some point. Shocked

Tris8 wrote:
To Love-Ru- This might be the most up your alley out of these 4. This is a romantic comedy with plenty of fanservice about a high school boy named Rito. One day the alien Lala shows up in his house and declares she will marry him to get out of marrying one of the people her father picked out for her. But Rito already has a crush on Haruna, a shy girl in his class. Things get even more out of hand when Lala's presence on Earth brings an intergalactic bounty hunter and her twin sisters into the mix.

Or, you could go right to the source and watch Urusei Yatsura (Mamoru Oshii-era, Season 2 and up), unplagiarized. Razz
Which is traditionally the A-B-C starting point for analyzing ALL anime comedy from 1982 on up. Even starting with other building blocks like Ranma 1/2 or Project A-Ko 1 is improved by rooting a basic familiarization with UY.

(I don't mind that Lala directly rips off Lum, it's just how boneheadedly pared-down and literalized the series does it that gets insulting...And Rito does not even DESERVE to be compared to Ataru Moroboshi, their playing fields aren't even in the same universe.)
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
^ I haven't seen Urusei Yatsura, but I really like Ranma 1/2. I would've recommended it, but T.H.O.L. asked for anime recommendations that came out in 2007 or later. While we're talking about it, I'll make a recommendation for it. Smile

Ranma 1/2 is one of my favorite slice-of-life pure comedy animes. There is virtually no seriousness to be found in its 100+ episodes and once you know the basic premise, you can watch just about any episode and understand what is going on. This hits a lot of my awesome buttons, as it is very high-energy, the main character Ranma is refreshingly unusual in that he can be pretty selfish and self-serving (but not a total jerk), and crazy martial arts are a theme throughout the story (Ranma practices the Anything-Goes Martial Art style that his family founded). It is very over-the-top and knows it and never tries to pretend it is anything else but a ridiculous and funny show about a teen cursed to turn into a cute girl when he comes in contact with cold water.
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
^ I haven't seen Urusei Yatsura, but I really like Ranma 1/2. I would've recommended it, but T.H.O.L. asked for anime recommendations that came out in 2007 or later. While we're talking about it, I'll make a recommendation for it. Smile

Well, I was trying to point out TLR's "unreasonable similarities" to classic UY, just so the "new" series didn't take all the credit.
TLR was just coming during a craze for UY's 20th anniversary, which got everyone in Japan sentimental for homaging their TV childhoods--And we had a flood of girl-in-the-closet series, but none with quite the painstaking X->Y plagiarism rewrites that this series had.
(In UY, Lum wears tigerskins and has horns, comes from the Oni planet, and an ill-timed choice of words makes her stubbornly think she's engaged to our hero--In TLR, Lala comes from the Devil planet, has a forked tail, arrives on earth and says "let's get married now!". Er, some subtleties may have been lost in the translation. Rolling Eyes )

Sgt. Frog has a distinct flavor of being much more directly homage-influenced by UY's geek-silly pop-ref blitzes, suburban sci-fi chaos, supporting ensemble of lunatics, AND occasional sentimental/stylized jolt of fantasy from the Oshii and Yamazaki years, but TLR just seems to take the low-class ecchi view of "The guy's got a space girl with a bikini! Razz "
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
The Devil is a Part-Timer! / Hataraku Maou-sama!
Ahhh I loved this one. In another dimension, the Demon Lord/Satan is close to being beaten by the Hero, but he escapes with one of his generals to this world: modern day Tokyo. Without any prior knowledge on how this world works, they somehow have to survive. And so Satan gets a job - at McRonalds. However, just learning how to survive the daily problems of this world isn't all they have to deal with...
Well, if you want a show with fun characters, comedy, and a bit of action and drama, I believe you should try this one. Not everything is solved in this season (more yes please?) and a few jokes were maybe a bit overused... but I didn't mind at all. I'd say: enjoy.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
I am watching Kill Me Baby, it is extremely retarded but can also be extremely fun for those that understand that kind of stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
The thread Is anime humor an acquired taste? is proving to be quite interesting..... (and I'm quite impressed with the theloudnes -- his OP is his first posting!)
Silent-/-Waltz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to say that I must second Gintama, Baka and Test, and Papuwa most fervently. Each truly hilarious in their own rights.

And I'd also like to bring one of my favorites to the table as well (unless I somehow missed it D: )

Ore no Nōnai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Rabu Kome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru (my mental choices are completely interfering with my school romantic comedy) - long name, I know lol. Aside from the occasional cheesy romancing this is a true gem of gems. About a high school student with this curse called "absolute choice" in which he's presented with two to three random and often off the wall things, and if he refuses to choose one he'll be stuck with the "curse" forever. I don't want to say anymore in fear of spoiling anything, but if you're looking for some good laughs you should give this a chance. Easily one of my favorites.
Bakemono27

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe no one has mentioned Nichijou yet. I've watched a lot of comedy animes and this is by far the funniest one I've seen. Also would recommend Maria Holic as well.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
So now it is 2016. My question: Did 2015 present any comedy gold? (Please, no unannotated lists.)
Set1229

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for some suggestions (must be licensed).

I'm already working on Sgt. Frog, Nuku Nuku TV, Ranma 1/2, Bo-BoBo and Toriko (seriously, just watching to get hungry is enough for laughs at home).

Ecchi humor doesn't usually work for me, though.[/i]
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
@Set1229
I do not know what the current availability of these is, but they have all been licensed in the US at one time.

If you have not seen the Nuku Nuku OVA you should try it if you like the TV series.

Azumanga Daioh never fails to get a laugh out of me.

I just finished Disgaea and thought that it was hilarious.

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu might work for you. It might be better if you are a Full Metal Panic! fan, but it could be funny even if you are not.

School Rumble is the last that I will mention now.

I might have more later, but everything else that I can think of right now gets rather ecchi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Katsuro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for some comedy anime, and I'm interested in weirdness humor that doesn't look like your average comedy anime.

In other words, less Love Hina and more Cromartie High School.

Here's what I want out of a series:

* The kind of weird Japanese humor that you'd almost never see in Western stuff. Like the weird humor in Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei or Pikotarou no Lullaby Lullaby. In short, if a westerner would see it and go "How... how is this a joke?" then you know it's what I'm looking for.

* Not the stereotypical anime-look. Pikotarou no Lullaby Lullaby, GTO and Crayon Shin-Chan are all nice examples of art-styles I like. (If you wanna go retro, Sazae-san also has a nice look.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Try Paniponi Dash with a 10th grade teacher who is 11, a depressed rabbit and a cat god in a vending machine. Also consider Excel Saga a bunch of weirdo try to take over a single city as a path to world domination.
horseradish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Polar Bear Cafe (Crunchyroll, 50ep × 25min) - The characters based on animals are drawn fairly realistically and Polar Bear himself makes lots of silly puns with Penguin as the straight man. Penguin's love life is also absurd.

Peeping Life (Crunchyroll) - Rotoscoped series featuring datsuryoku-kei (ennui-style) comedy in various sketches. Humor as dry as the Atacama Desert. The season featuring Tezuka Production and Tatsunoko Production characters is my favorite.

World Fool News (Crunchyroll, 24ep × 15min) - Shorts about an odd staff delivering odd news at a broadcasting station. Simple clean designs with bright solid colors and minimal shading. Classy OP. Sometimes the jokes are hit-and-miss, but I enjoy the series overall. According to an ANN article, "Various sightseeing locations within the prefecture appear in the anime shorts, and Gunma TV air the series to promote the prefecture...To control labor costs, students from technical schools in Gunma cooperate on production."

Sexy Commando Gaiden (48ep × 9min, 2 "digest version" episodes) - Absolutely zany shorts. The protagonist transfers to a new school and plans to make 100 friends, but meets Masaru the Sexy Commando martial artist. One episode is satisfying for a long time, so I'd avoid binge watching.

If you're in the mood for more reading, the following links mention other off-beat titles:

The Mike Toole Show "gdgd Gravy" - gdgd Fairies, The World of GOLDEN EGGS, Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono (link)
The Mike Toole Show "What's "Teekyu" Anyway?" for Teekyū (link)
Recent Talkback thread "The Best (And Worst) Anime Comedies" (link)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6