• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
But then you would need to change this statement
Quote:
I do love Funimation, but they seem to mostly favor shows that contain high amounts of fanservice.

As your statistics don't show that at all. It only shows that, in the past 3 months they seem to favor shows that contain high amounts of fanservice. Which is why it's cherry picking =\

So, what did you think of Horizon's trailer?

Maybe you also want to check out MajiKoi's trailer? (NSFW)
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
But then you would need to change this statement
My bad. I missed a word:
Quote:
I do love Funimation, but they seem to, recently, mostly favor shows that contain high amounts of fanservice.

Better?

I didn't mean that they favor fanservice shows in general, I just meant lately. My bad for mis-wording my statement. Embarassed

Megiddo wrote:
So, what did you think of Horizon's trailer?

I am currently at work so, unless I watch it with no sound on, I will have to wait till things die down or till I get home. But, so far, I like the sound of it after reading the summary.

And I am aware on what MajiKoi is. I dare not to touch that one. >.>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Better, but I would still say that FUNi's fanservice titles are lighter (Except for We, Without Wings... I have no clue what possessed them to get that), whereas Sentai's are definitely the heavier fanservice stuff for the most part.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
It's not that I hate fanservice, but licensing shows like We Without Wings and Yamada's First Time makes me question Funimation at times. And there also have been times where I've questioned some of Sentai's titles (WTF for MajiKoi), I won't deny that. But Sentai has been on a pretty good roll with getting things like No.6, Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth, Persona 4 The Animation, Rozen Maiden: Ouverture, and so on for home releases.

Truthfully, the only titles I look forward to, from Funi's list that I provided, are Deadman Wonderland and Steins;Gate. I've also been hoping for some news in regards to One Piece and was rather disappointed when they said nothing about it at both AX and Otakon. Doesn't help that they continue to favor the DBZ franchise (fully aware that it is their cash cow, but christ....).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
You actually did look at what this Horizon show is about right?

I did, all I saw was this:

Quote:
Genres: fantasy
Themes: school, war

And in regards to Sentai, here are some recent things they licensed from Summer to Fall (if I missed anything feel free to add to the list):

Coicent
Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth
ef: a tale of melodies
ef: a tale of memories
ICE
Heaven's Memo Pad
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere
Majikoi - Oh! Samurai Girls!
No. 6
Persona 4 The Animation
Rozen Maiden: Ouverture
Ro-Kyu-Bu!
Saiyuki Gaiden

I only see 2-3 fanservy titles there.

Now lets look at Funimation's recent licensing from Summer to Fall (again, if I missed anything feel free to add to the list):

Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts 2
Cat Planet Cuties
Deadman Wonderland
Heaven's Lost Property movie
Steins;Gate
We Without Wings - Under the Innocent Sky
Yamada’s First Time

4 of those titles are fanservice. And note that Sentai's list is longer.

You were saying?
For Funi You're missing

Control
Last Exile - The Silver Wing
Shiki

Also if you look at the overall licensed but unreleased shows http://forum.dvdtalk.com/anime-talk/558769-unreleased-licensed-u-s-anime-properties.html Funi clearly has more stuff to push out than any other distributor, almost to the point that I hope the focus more on getting stuff out rather than acquiring new shows.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Control
Last Exile - The Silver Wing

Right, I did miss those. Yet Shiki was acquired for streams last year and was announced in early Spring that it is getting home releases (I was the one who found out about that when Funimation goofed on their page for it Anime hyper).
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
It's not that I hate fanservice, but licensing shows like We Without Wings and Yamada's First Time makes me question Funimation at times. .

Probably because they were cheap licenses and there are fans of both series who will get the shows when they come out (I know I will be).
Suzuku21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
You actually did look at what this Horizon show is about right? Fanservice and more fanservice.

No it's not. Read the premise and do a little research. This is a far-future action/fantasy series with big-tit girls and lolis in it. There is fanservice and comedy, but the plot is far more centered on action, politics, and pretty convoluted plot than service. If you've ever watched Index it's a bit like that (being a serious series with fanservice in it I mean, story-wise they're not that similar).

Also, every time ANN puts that this is a school battle fantasy I bang my head. The "school" part of is nowhere near your usual "students going to class and having secret lives after school" you see in stuff like Star Driver and Sacred Seven, or even Code Geass. The "school" element is just the term used to refer to the ruling body of the various countries, the "students" are the public officials and soldiers. Even old men are "students". The reason they are students is because a law was passed stating that only "students" could fight (the law was passed for certain political reasons). Musashi/The Far East (Japan) is the only country that has an age limit on their students (18 yrs old), the rest of the countries allow for all ages to become "students".

And for the record, none of what I wrote are really spoilers.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I like how people are arguing over what a show is about before it has even aired...
Suzuku21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I like how people are arguing over what a show is about before it has even aired...

This has source material, it's not an original anime, therefore it has a clear foundation for "what it is about" despite the anime not airing yet.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Suzuku21 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

This has source material, it's not an original anime, therefore it has a clear foundation for "what it is about" despite the anime not airing yet.

Yes, but you have no way of knowing how loyal they are to the source material. Anime taking liberties with material isn't that uncommon.
Suzuku21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Yes, but you have no way of knowing how loyal they are to the source material. Anime taking liberties with material isn't that uncommon.

The director said they would stick as close to the source material as possible, and going by the preview of episode 1 that Bandai streamed, they are sticking to that statement.

Furthermore, what I put is simply the basics behind the series. If they took out the far-future setting and grand action then it wouldn't be Horizon anymore. All you have to do is watch the PVs to see that they're sticking to that anyway.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Suzuku21 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
You actually did look at what this Horizon show is about right? Fanservice and more fanservice.

No it's not. Read the premise and do a little research. This is a far-future action/fantasy series with big-tit girls and lolis in it. There is fanservice and comedy, but the plot is far more centered on action, politics, and pretty convoluted plot than service. If you've ever watched Index it's a bit like that (being a serious series with fanservice in it I mean, story-wise they're not that similar).

The difference between this and Index is that I can watch the trailer of Index and see that it has more to offer than just boobs and random fighting. No, a much better comparison for Horizon would be Infinite Stratos. Flimsy plot and such but the main draw will be the harem/fanservice aspect. That is if Horizon even has a male protagonist at all... the trailer showed like 5 different guys each with about 2-3 seconds of screen time. Watching the Index trailer you know that Touma is the main character.

You are also not doing this show a favor by saying that the plot is convoluted (perhaps you mean complex?)
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
FUNimation needs to release what they have! Index got licensed but where the hell is it!

I suspect some of those releases we are waiting on have more to do with Geneon Universal in Japan than Funimation itself. The last I saw on this was a claim they were still waiting for the original material.

Speaking of which, has Funimation announced any new licenses from Geneon Universal since Summer of last year?
Suzuku21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

The difference between this and Index is that I can watch the trailer of Index and see that it has more to offer than just boobs and random fighting.

Fair enough, just going off of trailer you're correct. But a lot of things in Horizon can't be shown because they would be considered spoilers. Unlike Index, Horizon is constantly revealing things about its overarching plot and almost every development besides the action scenes and fanservice has to do with it. It's not easy to convey without spoiling in the trailers.

Quote:
No, a much better comparison for Horizon would be Infinite Stratos. Flimsy plot and such but the main draw will be the harem/fanservice aspect. That is if Horizon even has a male protagonist at all... the trailer showed like 5 different guys each with about 2-3 seconds of screen time. Watching the Index trailer you know that Touma is the main character.

No, Horizon is nothing like IS, AT ALL. IS is completely fanservice with a half-baked plot only used to justify flag raising. Horizon is the complete opposite of this. For some reason you want to make assumptions based solely off of a trailer and seem to present them as fact when you don't know what you're talking about, which is made even more ridiculous because you're trying to argue with someone who does know what they're talking about. Now, once again, coming from the mouth of someone who does know what they're talking about: Horizon has more in common with Index than it does IS, and by large margins. The main draw of this series is not fanservice, the fanservice and comedy is only put there in downtime. There will be no beach episodes, no harem hijinks, no stupid class activities to push the main character towards another girl in the guise of "battle exercises". This series is focused on action, deep history, and the politics of a far-future pseudo-dystopian society on the brink of so-called apocalypse. That is its main draw. I don't know how to get you to understand and accept this any better than flat out telling you.

Furthermore, Horizon doesn't even have a harem. First of all, yes, there is a male lead. It's pretty damn clear that the guy with the smug smile on his face, grabbing everyone's boobs, and showing off light novels, who got specific attention in all three of the trailers released so far is the male lead. Although going off what you have said I doubt you've seen any trailers besides the one ANN had posted. The lead's name is Aoi Toori, he is the Student Council and Union President of Musashi, he is also the weakest student in Musashi. He is given the position of leadership for political reasons. And just in case you're wondering, the male lead is Horizon Ariadust, the silver haired girl you see at the end of the first trailer.

Secondly, as I said, Horizon is not a harem. Aoi is solemnly in love with one girl and can't be considered a dense male lead like Ichika. He's just a (super) pervert. I can't go into it any further because it would be considered spoilers, but simply put Aoi loves one girl and none of the other female cast members like him (aside from one or two barely).

Quote:
You are also not doing this show a favor by saying that the plot is convoluted (perhaps you mean complex?)

No, I meant convoluted. Though yes, it is complex as well. Convoluted doesn't necessarily have to carry negative connotations, as I like how crazy the premise and plot are. I would be lying if I said the series was not extremely convoluted. There is an enormous cast of characters (I mean enormous, you've never seen anything like this in anime, even Index pales in comparison), the premise itself is hard to understand on a glance, the plot is even more difficult to understand than the premise, the setting will take hours to wrap your head around because of all the different countries involved and the fact that they're all basically occupying one strip of land (Japan), and to add on top of that there is a metric fuckton of terminology to learn.

As a testament to the above, the books are known for their thickness. Here are all the Horizon books released so far in comparison to all of the Index books released.

And FYI, Horizon's individual volumes are split into multiple books because of their length, so while there are 7 Horizon books in the picture, there are technically only 3 volumes released so far. This is why Horizon was originally thought to be impossible to animate and would be the last light novel to ever get an anime.

btw, here's the second PV which you seem to not have watched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1iKR9Wrk8s

Last edited by Suzuku21 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5