• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
FUNimation needs to release what they have! Index got licensed but where the hell is it!

I suspect some of those releases we are waiting on have more to do with Geneon Universal in Japan than Funimation itself. The last I saw on this was a claim they were still waiting for the original material.

Speaking of which, has Funimation announced any new licenses from Geneon Universal since Summer of last year?

Since I run the delays topic on the funi forum I can say that they only got the materials for index/railgun and hellsing ultimate along with other earlier this month and are still waiting on some pieces of information supposedly from them (what IDK) http://www.funimation.com/funimation-general/forum/funimation-central/funimation-general/list-of-confirmed-properties-that/edit?destination=node%2F88103
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I like that Sentai's picking up these licenses now, before the shows start airing. Plus they happen to be a little faster with their DVD releases compared to Funimation (and gee, thanks for taking nearly all the Tatami Galaxy episodes off of Youtube and never announcing any plans for a DVD release in the US. Of course I'm still mad about that!).

After reading the synopsis and watching the PVs for Horizon I still think it seems pretty half-baked (and quantity definitely does not equal quality when it comes to books), but then again I thought Escaflowne sounded bad before I watched it. So it's probably worth watching an episode or two before final judgment.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool I hope Sentai not grabbing to much it would be a shame if they go bankrupt again

What is Funi doing there just sitting there
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
I like that Sentai's picking up these licenses now, before the shows start airing. Plus they happen to be a little faster with their DVD releases compared to Funimation (and gee, thanks for taking nearly all the Tatami Galaxy episodes off of Youtube and never announcing any plans for a DVD release in the US. Of course I'm still mad about that!).

After reading the synopsis and watching the PVs for Horizon I still think it seems pretty half-baked (and quantity definitely does not equal quality when it comes to books), but then again I thought Escaflowne sounded bad before I watched it. So it's probably worth watching an episode or two before final judgment.
ANN cast said that they where going to release tatami or 5 leaves soon, my money is on tatami
Schaef Dogg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't mind if FUNi goes after the Sora no Otoshimono or Freezing title as long as they back it up with a Shiki, Tatami Galaxy (PLEEEEEEASE), or even Rideback.

They said Shiki will be released in Spring 2012.
Rideback was released last June I believe.

As for the news, I look forward to watching it.
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
You know it's still up on the Funimation site, unless you have to watch it through YouTube for some reason?

That being said Funi is ending the year with a pretty weak release lineup, especially when you look at the stellar titles they gave us last year during the holiday's. I know Sentai isn't looking much better but their not sitting on 20+ shows that were announced well over a year ago(and many of those have already been released).

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
ANN cast said that they where going to release tatami or 5 leaves soon, my money is on tatami
I hope it's Tatami. I love both Madhouse and Masaaki Yuasa, but that dialog went way to fast for me to watch subbed.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well that cool I hope Sentai not grabbing to much it would be a shame if they go bankrupt again

Sentai has never filed for bankruptcy. Neither did ADV before them. In fact, ADV still exists in some form or another.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I might give this show a shot,if not just because I think the design for the main is pretty interesting. Might be a little fanservicy for my taste though. Nice to see Sentai becoming a tad more active.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
In fact, ADV still exists in some form or another.

Ya, they are called Section 23/Sentai Filmworks. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

It always amuses me when people say things like this. Ignoring the easy remarks for your complete lack of grammar, I'll suggest that maybe they're, oh, I don't know, working on the loads of shows that they have previously licensed?

Also, using only license announcements from the past few months to gauge which company is "cleaning who's clock"* is just silly. Why must people get into these company wars like gamers get into console wars? Let's just be glad that Sentai is branching out instead of just bringing us stuff like Daimo, ToLovRu, and Samurai Harem.** E-penis points really count for nothing guys.

* Blood-, I saw the post where you said you were just kidding, that line was just the best example of what others are trying to do, so I used it. Wink

** Just an example of how Sentai was indeed throwing out fanservice shows not long ago, ones that someone like me (who tends to enjoy a number of them) didn't even like.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I'm somewhat surprised Sentai got this; I was ready to peg Bandai on getting first dibs on this considering it is a Sunrise title.

Thank you! At least there one person who has brought this up…

This is more puzzling than FUNimation not getting it, given it's one of Sunrise's biggest (if not the biggest) series of the year. This is the second time this year that Bandai Ent. has not gotten a major series of their's, the other being Tiger & Bunny (which really made no sense considering it was a Bandai Visual title and had "Bandai" plastered on one of the lead's suits!). It seems like nowadays, BEI has more titles, including big-named properties from other studios and distributors (such as Aniplex), than they do from Sunrise or Bandai Visual.

Just whose coffee did BEI piss in back in Japan?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
It seems like nowadays, BEI has more titles, including big-named properties from other studios and distributors (such as Aniplex), than they do from Sunrise or Bandai Visual.

I vaguely recall from some podcast somewhen that various Bandai divisions that are not direct parent/subsidiaries have a sink or swim attitude to each other. If that description of the corporate culture is right, then since BEI is a subsidiary of Bandai America Inc, and not a subsidiary of Bandai Visual Co. Ltd. in Japan, it wouldn't particularly expect an special favors from Bandai Visual Co. Ltd.

Probably a good thing, too, since the main special favor that Bandei Visual USA Inc. got from its parent Bandai Visual Co. Ltd. once the parent company started to take a serious interest in it, was being driven to continue business practices that drove it into the ground.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
It seems like nowadays, BEI has more titles, including big-named properties from other studios and distributors (such as Aniplex), than they do from Sunrise or Bandai Visual.

I vaguely recall from some podcast somewhen that various Bandai divisions that are not direct parent/subsidiaries have a sink or swim attitude to each other. If that description of the corporate culture is right, then since BEI is a subsidiary of Bandai America Inc, and not a subsidiary of Bandai Visual Co. Ltd. in Japan, it wouldn't particularly expect an special favors from Bandai Visual Co. Ltd.

Probably a good thing, too, since the main special favor that Bandei Visual USA Inc. got from its parent Bandai Visual Co. Ltd. once the parent company started to take a serious interest in it, was being driven to continue business practices that drove it into the ground.

I've heard that too, but since BEI handles their Honneamise label and have gotten some of BV's bigger releases in the past (i.e. Code Geass, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Wolf's Rain, Gundam), one would have surmised that they might have an "inside track" to getting stuff like Horizon and T&B. Of course, they haven't released every show from BV or Sunrise, but traditionally, they have done so for their bigger ones.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

Sentai has never filed for bankruptcy. Neither did ADV before them. In fact, ADV still exists in some form or another.

A.D. Vision,Inc still exists as Section23 Films with AEsir holdings as the sole Owner of all Sentai Filmworks label,titles and properties. The only thing that's DEAD is "ADV Films" the label.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

A.D. Vision,Inc still exists as Section23 Films with AEsir holdings as the sole Owner of all Sentai Filmworks label,titles and properties. The only thing that's DEAD is "ADV Films" the label.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5