• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Artists Win 20-Million-Yen Suit versus Uploaders

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Good luck to them in collecting it. Most of those who download aren't going to have any interest in buying it. Most of the time the reason people are downloading from the net is because they aren't willing or able to buy it. People tend to forget the whole time = money thing. People usually have one or the other. Those of have the time to spend hunting and downloading manga usually are lacking in the money bit either because of their age or how much they make is pretty limited.

Umm, did you read the news piece. The court ruled against the uploaders, not the downloaders. It is much easier to collect money from two people than it is from 63,461 people. Whether they actually have that much is another story, but there are ways of collecting it over time if they don't. So they might take as much as they can now, and then pester them every so often to get more. Needless to say, until they do pay it off, there credit will be shat.

Kibate wrote:
even though i too want illegal downloads to stop, because they are illegal(but i do download free stuff too, so i really don't want them to stop), i think THIS is the completly wrong way to do that. Not because it might not work, but i think that's pretty hard for people who just want to share their hobbys. It's not like they have evil intentions, they are just 20-30year olds with a full life ahead of them, well, not anymore, saving around ~200.000dollars can take quite some time.

Excuse me? Since when is allowing 63 thousand people to download copyrighted material off of your personal website considered a hobby? I share my hobby fine here online at ANN or AoD or some of the other web forums without distributing as much free manga as I can to anyone who wants it. What they were doing was clearly illegal* and no one should be surprised.

* for those of you that say not everything that is illegal is wrong crowd, the law that was broken was the law against theft, and pretty much everyone agrees stealing is wrong.

Edit:
Actually it is 181,318 people not 63,461 who downloaded the manga, I forgot to factor in the 65% reduction in price.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
And they should earn the money. It IS their work.

>.>; I'd like to report some sites that has been actually scanning licensed manga in the US. I'm really sick of leechers downloading online things that have already been printed and handed out on our store bookshelves.

You can start by just e-mailing the companies at their various generic e-mail addresses. The e-mails probably will get to someone who is able to decide whether or not to bother with any sort of action.

Some companies unfortunately just don't bother.

-t
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
This thread seems noticably lacking in the downloaders who support not paying for stuff. This is what I've always supported. Considering how cheap manga is in Japan, there really was no excuse for this to have happened. Most of the manga I see at Mitsuwa is 480-550 yen

This then seems to imply that downloading anime so that people don't have to pay is more common than scanlating manga.

I'm tired now at the end of my work day, so maybe I'll discuss this further Monday.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I've often been a defender of downloads. However I have no issue with this thread for a couple reasons. 1) This is what companies need to do. Targeting Uploaders cuts the problem off at the source. 2) I feel sorry for downloaders who get caught. They get completely screwed over for doing something tens of thousands of people too. With uploaders its a different case. I blame them more than the downloaders for creating the download problem.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
With uploaders its a different case. I blame them more than the downloaders for creating the download problem.

I used to tell my husband "Don't sound like my clients"
"Why are you giving me a speeding ticket! Everyone else was speeding! Go bust prostitutes on the boulivard!"

Life isn't fair. The cop picked your car to pull over.

You could use the prostitute line on the uploaders--if people out there weren't demanding their services, the prostitutes/uploaders wouldn't be out there selling it. That's why cops bust the johns-hoping to humiliate them in front of friends/family
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

You can start by just e-mailing the companies at their various generic e-mail addresses. The e-mails probably will get to someone who is able to decide whether or not to bother with any sort of action.

Some companies unfortunately just don't bother.

-t

Thanks for the tidbit of information. If I do report the site, and the company doesn't want to do anything, then that's their deal, I hope they don't want to whine later when it was presented to them before hand.

Much appreciated.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote
Let me just preface this by saying I hope anyone who has not been following the odex and hentai downloads threads wont take this out of context.

CCSYueh wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
With uploaders its a different case. I blame them more than the downloaders for creating the download problem.

I used to tell my husband "Don't sound like my clients"
"Why are you giving me a speeding ticket! Everyone else was speeding! Go bust prostitutes on the boulivard!"

Life isn't fair. The cop picked your car to pull over.

You could use the prostitute line on the uploaders--if people out there weren't demanding their services, the prostitutes/uploaders wouldn't be out there selling it. That's why cops bust the johns-hoping to humiliate them in front of friends/family

My god. Do you just go from topic to topic looking for chances to preach at people? Every time someone makes even the slightest mention of being pro-download in any way, youre all over them with some long winded speech which undoubtedly contains stories about your clients and your family. I mean, you said this exact same stuff in the odex thread, you said it in the hentai downloads thread. Infact you actually said this stuff to me specifically. (Not to mention also repeating it to sevearal other people.) Its really incredibly annoying. Get off the freaking soapbox. I've heard your rant. I dont agree with it. I've explained to you why I don't agree with it. You've ignored all that and continue to take every opportunity to continue preaching. Do me a favor and just don't read my posts unless you can do so without having a compulsive urge to explain to me again why Im wrong. I urge you to do the same with others too. Youre not convincing anyone, you're just harassing people.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
Now who's attacking who?

This doesn't make it any better, you know. >.>

Though I don't really get the whole cop thing; actually, that one flew right by me.

But I don't think that CCSYueh is harassing anyone. If that person wants to explain his/her points over and over again, it's not a big deal, he/she's still presenting himself/herself in a civilized manner, and not really shoving down into people's throats. It's alright, just say that you explained your points and don't agree with it, instead of putting yourself on the soapbox.

A debate is a debate, if you wish for CCSY to stop, just say so (politely?). Or maybe I just enjoy a debate until we get to an understanding, though we still disagree...I don't know how you would feel though.

Not trying to get on your case, but it's just kind of wrong to say stop harassing other people when you have a problem with CCSY in general.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote
If you've just been folowing this thread, it may come off that way. However I don't think you can really guage this fairly in that case.

Perhaps I am "attacking" her, but Im by no means on a soapbox. Im not preaching anything. I am saying that I have explained my points before and I am saying I would like CCSYueh to stop it. If you want to say that I should be more polite, perhaps youre right. I did go on a bit of a rant so I appologize.

I dont see how my having a problem with some of the stuff she says makes it unfair for me to tell her not to constantly jump on people with the exact same arguement.

Regardless, I would appreciate if you just let this go. Think what you will, but please dont drag this offtopic any further. I wanted to make my point to CCSYueh, but I realize it barely relates to the topic. I dont want to start a debate on this.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I've been following the thread for the most part. And I do notice a few things here and there, I had to take maybe another look.

But yes, I won't continue it any further. Sorry if I offended you in anyway, though. It wasn't meant to sound that way.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
My point was simply there IS 2 different approaches to fighting illegal activities. Since Ikillchicken is pro-downloads, of course he prefers the method that doesn't target the downloaders, but instead targets the people who post the material (uploaders). However, Odex's method of targeting the downloaders themselves is also a recognized method some feel is more productive (hitting the customers so they won't wish to continue)
My suggestion is also that it isn't necessarily true all the blame lies in one place. Just as with the issue of prostitution where the argument is bust the prostitutes to end the supply, but then they just get out & do it again, this is still a new enough course of action for the owners so it's hard to say if this is a valid course or not. Logically, it does make sense that with what's been done, these uploaders are out of the picture. I'm sure the desired aftershocks is that other uploaders will pull down their sites, but they could also become rebellious & simply start moving their sites to places more difficult for Japanese courts to pursue such as has always been the biggest issue in busting bootleggers (jurisdiction)-easy in the nation's borders, but if the base is outside, it means working with other agencies which sometimes proves impossible.
The reason to bust the johns/downloaders is to end demand
This isn't a place to argue fansubs & I'm not trying to argue that here or I'd state I'm not sure targetting the people posting fansubs would work(Would others simply sprout up?). I thought my point was that manga is cheap enough in Japan this really shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. Yes, there are lots of other implications to this. I have a good number of screenshots/images saved on my computer. I don't think this is any indication the owners would start telling the various fan sites to remove all images of this or that licensed product, though it could be an extreme reaction. Is there a limit? I've seen some fan sites with several pages of images saved--not a whole volume, so does i escape notice? 5 pages or less ok? 10 pages? As many as the site wants as long as it's not the whole story?
In the long run, I do hope this will encourage other uploaders to go away, but maybe not. Maybe they'll all just sit there & wait to see if their site attracts enough attention or if they're a small enough mouse to escape notice.

So I wasn't attacking you or arguing with you. Actually, every time I see you name, I'm reminded of Alice Cooper, when asked if he really did kill a chicken on stage. replying "Colonel Sanders kills chickens". I was simply pointing out both methods of enforcement have been utilized & we'll have to see which one works. It would be nice if hitting the uploaders works because there are fewer of them, but we'll have to see
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Sorry if I offended you in anyway, though. It wasn't meant to sound that way.

Don't worry, no offence taken.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2