• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Confirmed to Air on Adult Swim October 20

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matrixdude124

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
*yawns*
This'll be interesting.

Sakujo!

posse: Ja. The anime ending is a little different from the manga one.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I'm not suprised or terribly interested that Death Note is coming to AS. It was a predicatable decision. And plus, Death Note doesn't look that appealing to me, but I'll give it a chance.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so they finally got it eh? It's about darn time! Now [AS], there's this other series called Code Geass you see......

Well if Viz has to put Bleach on hiatus for more time to dub I guess I can understand, it's tale as old as time with CN anime after all. I just think it sucks that they can't show both series at the same time is all. That really would be one heck of a lineup if they did, and if they could add Code Geass to that as well. Of course any time there's no Bleach it's bad, but hey, at least we have Death Note for now anyways.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Hallelujah! Now if we can only get Black Lagoon and Witch Blade on tv.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if Sci-Fi or AS would get it, I wasn't too exactly sure...

I'm friggin happy though. I'll buy the DVDs. >.>;

And Bleach will still be a big deal, but yeah...
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I actually squeed Anime hyper outloud when I read this (today since I haven't been keeping up this week). That's someting I never do Anime smile + sweatdrop . I fully expected the news, but I couldn't help myself. I really am emabarassed at how excited I am about this. It doesn't even make a lot of sense considering I've already seen the whole series. I must admit Death Note is my new obsession anime. Cool

I'm surprised at all the negative/neutral feedback I've read at this news (not necessarily here). With DN's popularity though, I guess that won't really make a whole lot of difference. And I can only imagine it's popularity will increase more with airing.

There's something interesting I've noticed though. It holds true for other shows, but I've been able to watch it most with DN. As time goes by, the more people watch it, DN's rating in the top ten steadily goes down. It's still number 2, but it was number one for a while. And while the average rating is still astronomically high, it steadily goes down through the weeks. It is very understandable, but it makes me sad considering how much I love the show. Confused

One thing I don't understand is how so many people say they don't want to watch it because of all the hype. My friend is one I cannot make watch the show basically for this reason. It makes no sense to me. It's like saying "OK, everyone tells me X product made their life ten times better, but no, I don't think I'll try it." A bad example and exaggerated but same idea. No offense meant to anyone, but this reasoning just seems like immature rebellious whining to me.

Anyway, can't wait!!!
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Ovalshine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:52 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Ah, so they finally got it eh? It's about darn time! Now [AS], there's this other series called Code Geass you see......

Well if Viz has to put Bleach on hiatus for more time to dub I guess I can understand, it's tale as old as time with CN anime after all. I just think it sucks that they can't show both series at the same time is all. That really would be one heck of a lineup if they did, and if they could add Code Geass to that as well. Of course any time there's no Bleach it's bad, but hey, at least we have Death Note for now anyways.

Well, there was this comment a bit ways into the first page thread at AS.

Quote:
psst... don't tell anyone but there's another series in the works as well. and no, i can't say what it is...
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
There's something interesting I've noticed though. It holds true for other shows, but I've been able to watch it most with DN. As time goes by, the more people watch it, DN's rating in the top ten steadily goes down. It's still number 2, but it was number one for a while. And while the average rating is still astronomically high, it steadily goes down through the weeks. It is very understandable, but it makes me sad considering how much I love the show. Confused

A show's popularity is directly proportional to it's spam voters. That's why all the shows in the top 10 have so many "worst ever" votes. Death Note is really good, though, so I think all the new positive votes will cancel out a good portion of the spam votes. It shouldn't get much lower.
Quote:
One thing I don't understand is how so many people say they don't want to watch it because of all the hype. My friend is one I cannot make watch the show basically for this reason. It makes no sense to me. It's like saying "OK, everyone tells me X product made their life ten times better, but no, I don't think I'll try it." A bad example and exaggerated but same idea. No offense meant to anyone, but this reasoning just seems like immature rebellious whining to me.

Come on, what would an entertainment medium be without it's hipsters? Rolling Eyes But seriously, I agree with you. That whole "I don't want to watch it because it's too popular" sentiment that seems to be common among anime fans is stupid. It's a bunch of cartoons, honestly. There's no need to be elitist.
Celes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
dposse wrote:
LordRobin wrote:
Question: I've read the entire 12-volume manga series. I loved it (although the post-L arc wasn't as enjoyable). But a lot of the enjoyment comes from not knowing what's going to happen next. Should I bother to watch the anime? Is it the exact same story, or are there some added twists?

------RM

the ending of the anime is completely different from the manga, or so i've heard.

I don't think the ending is completely different. From what I've seen, the final scenes involving Light, N, and the police force are just different in what you get to see happen.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
I

Actually...I can't watch a show from a lot of the hype that's not going on. Not because I necessarily want to, it's like having that same product shoved in your face and down your throat, when you just want time to absorb it. It's like a telemarketer telling you how great the product is, but you just don't have a general interest yet.

Haruhi is one I probably won't watch until the popularity dies down (if it ever does). I see it practically everywhere, but it's been overplayed to the point where I don't have a desire to watch it. It's not the point of immaturity, neither rebellion, people just have different tastes.

Lesse...it took me forever to watch:

Fruits Basket
Naruto
Excel Saga

...just to name a few.

I just would like to take my time to enjoy a series rather than someone already enjoying it for me. Good to have recommendations, but I'm more prone to watching a series if we watched it together. Elitist is too harsh a word. >.>;
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:23 am Reply with quote
Well, at last. Not surprising since it was foreseen. There were certain animes I want to see how its dub is like. Death Note is one of them.

Celes wrote:
Hopefully they will follow suit with some other great shows. Lately their anime has been less than stellar...Bleach is ok but everything else is just a mess. And Inuyasha really needs to be put down at this point.

I remember AS 4 or 5 years ago. It has become different since then. I agree about the stellar comment. The animes they put I bother with going through are; Bleach, sometimes to see how the dub is like, Eureka 7 (when it was on) which I grew to like, and on occasion Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex because I haven't watched its Japanese version and its one of the big names. Some of the stuff like Trinity Blood and Blood+ don't excite me too much. The shows that have been rerun many times like Inuyasha and Cowboy Bebop I agree have been too much but I can also understand that they are fan favorites and have proven to be successful. With Death Note to the addition I like it for AS and if they can get some more top animes to watch then they will do terrific.

tygerchickchibi wrote:
Actually...I can't watch a show from a lot of the hype that's not going on. Not because I necessarily want to, it's like having that same product shoved in your face and down your throat, when you just want time to absorb it. It's like a telemarketer telling you how great the product is, but you just don't have a general interest yet.

Haruhi is one I probably won't watch until the popularity dies down (if it ever does). I see it practically everywhere, but it's been overplayed to the point where I don't have a desire to watch it. It's not the point of immaturity, neither rebellion, people just have different tastes.
Quote:
I just would like to take my time to enjoy a series rather than someone already enjoying it for me. Good to have recommendations, but I'm more prone to watching a series if we watched it together.

How can someone be "enjoying it for you" and already doing it? I don't think that's possible

Haruhi is overplayed? In what sense? I can bear with what you've said though. I see things get hyped up too much and it can drive someone nuts. Now to me, if that show is hyped up a lot, getting much praise, I will witness it. In some circumstances you will wonder if a show lives up to what is being said about it. When things get overhyped there's always going to be someone who wants to know what the fuss is all about and goes out to say something about it. You won't know if you really like a show or not if you haven't watched it. All you will know is what you have heard. That's where expectations might be able to come into play.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
"enjoying it" may not have been the best phrase. I don't really know how else to describe it.

If you want me to get into further detail, it's like this.

"My friend is always pushing me into watching Fushigi Yugi, but I'm more into comedy/action rather than shoujo titles."

I know what it is about, I know why it's popular, but I'll watch it when I feel like it. There's no need to force myself when I don't have a fascinating interest. I've seen everyone do the "Haruhi" dance. I've checked information on the story. I'm not the type of person who runs from spot to spot checking the "latest hype," just because it is "the latest hype."

Here's another one.

A lot of people where croc shoes. I don't. Just because EVERYONE is wearing them doesn't mean I necessarily have to.

I can watch it and still didn't think it was as great like everyone says. But for now, like I said before, I'll watch it when I want, not at the same time as everyone else.

But I'm also the type of person who likes to discover most of my own taste, I suppose.

...also, the other main reason is that I would most likely buy the series rather than download it through the interwebs. Or I would borrow it from a friend. For the most part, that's why I haven't watched a lot of shows, because I don't have the money to purchase them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4