• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon USA to Cancel DVD Sales, Distribution by Friday

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Geneon is not going to die,

it'll just lost its arms and legs(Distribution and production), and all it will be capable of is non-tangible labor such as managing their works portfolio, which i believe has something to do with liscensing.
stardf29

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Well... it looks like subtitling and dubbing work is still being done for some of these shows, including Nanoha and Zero no Tsukaima. No guarantee they'll be released, but still...
kagemusha23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
This news is a real bummer. I was informed by someone that this is happening so I bought like $120 worth of anime today. It sucks that this is happening but there isnt anything worth getting mad at. Getting mad wont solve this problem. Hopefully the company will get back on its feet or that companies round up the licenses so sales and distribution can continue.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I hate to be pressured like this, I just bought Zeta Gundam and Gundam Wing. I feel stupid rushing in for Geneon titles but I'm almost certain Mermaid Forest won't be picked up by another distributor.

Is Geneon closing down? Sigh, this is a sad turn of events, I wonder what happened.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
Is Geneon closing down? Sigh, this is a sad turn of events, I wonder what happened.

Not completely, or yet ... their PR (aka letter writing) department sure is active these days with the letters now hitting those of us signed up for their G-Spot fan website.

Nice and short, just goes on to say *paraphrased* that they are getting deluged in requests by folks collecting series that got cut-off midway and "are internally discussing plans ... to continue distribution of titles ... at a later date."

So basically just a *gasp*surprise* notice that the new for-fans site is going to go from a non-updating haitus after beta to off, and they would like to not do the same thing to their mail servers, so please stop asking how we will ever finish collecting Hellsing OVA, WTC, or other series of choice.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I REALLY hope Geneon survives! I wanna buy more of their titles such as Shounen Onmyouji (which I LOVE SO MUCH!!!), Bottle Fairy, Sugar the snow fairy, Rozen Maiden and etc.! They're such a good company! Sad
Officer Schrodinger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
They won't go down, they just need to pair up with another sales and distribution company...thing. >.> read Geneon's letter more carefully.

Lol i just made an account here to reply to this... Either way, it'll take more than that to make one of the most popular north-american anime companies go out of business.
Ink Nijihara

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
The news affects three titles that I'm currently collecting - Rozen Maiden, Karin, and Higurashi. I was also planning to buy the Nanoha series once those DVDs becom available, but now with this news that may not be possible.

Overall, it is a very dark day for the R1 anime industry. Geneon was a good company and were always faithful to their release dates, and had a great library of titles, some of which ended up being all-time favorites of mine. Hopefully the other R1 distributors will pick up the liceses and not let them die out. It's a real shame that they're going out this way; it just looks like that their parent company (Dentsu) simply gave up on the market and decided to pull the plug.

Thank goodness for having so many sources to buy anime in Los Angeles.

Aside of the anime specialty retailers in L.A. (we have plenty) there are also those music stores that sell new & used anime.

One of my favorites is Amoeba Music in Hollywood.

Shortly after i heard the news i immidiately went to Amoeba Music and bought volume 1 of Rozen Maiden new for $14.99

I tried getting 2 & 3 a while ago but i refuse to pay $22.99 & $29.99 when i know i can get the same products for half that price at Amoeba. It all depends on availability as well.

From my knowledge and from what i heard people in the rest of the nation are gonna have a hard time getting what's left from the Geneon library. Some people don't have discount stores in their area.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
I'm confused because when I went to the mall last week I saw Geneon titles like X and Shakugan no Shana I know Funi didn't pick up X yet so why did they have DVDS out if Geneon is out of business? Oh and about the Shakugan no Shana volume I seen it only had Geneon's logo on it not Funi's logo like the boxset did....
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:30 am Reply with quote
In Shakugan no Shana's case it's because Funimation always puts geneon's logo on the cover because they are simply distributing it and they did not dub it and in X's case it's because there were copies left over that are still being sold. Just like you can go find a copy of a Serial Experiments Lain which Funimation sadly did not rescue.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
In Shakugan no Shana's case it's because Funimation always puts geneon's logo on the cover because they are simply distributing it and they did not dub it and in X's case it's because there were copies left over that are still being sold. Just like you can go find a copy of a Serial Experiments Lain which Funimation sadly did not rescue.

At least it's still out there. It's not like they've disappeared entirely. We can only hope FUNi will rescue more in the future like the first two Tenchi Muyo! OVA series.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
Funimation saved a large sum of titles last year, so maybe this year they'll see what sold and what didn't. That way Funimation will know whetever to license more Geneon titles or not.

The fact Funimation rescued Karin( One of my favorite romantic comedies of 2007-2008), so most titles are game. There is plenty of shows I wish were licensed or resuced, but ultimately sales and sales excutivess make that decision.

Still, two years later, I still feel a little sad Geneon closed.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Funimation saved a large sum of titles last year, so maybe this year they'll see what sold and what didn't. That way Funimation will know whetever to license more Geneon titles or not.

The fact Funimation rescued Karin( One of my favorite romantic comedies of 2007-2008), so most titles are game. There is plenty of shows I wish were licensed or resuced, but ultimately sales and sales excutivess make that decision.

Still, two years later, I still feel a little sad Geneon closed.

Heh, I've had sadness going back 20+ years personally, but that's a whole different story altogether that involves me writing an autobiography that will sell millions one day!
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know is anyone is going to save Shonen Onmyoji? That one had such a short print run, I manged to get Kyo Kara, but I missed out on the box set for Shonen Onmyoji, even the single dvds are hard to find now.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Long time no see (this thread)...
FUNimation distributed it after Geneon's collapse. It is no longer in print and, while there has been no official announcement that it has been dropped (most are now accounted for), they are unlikely to re-acquire it once the license expires, if it hasn't already.

If anyone did know about a rescue, and were permitted to talk about it, it would have been announced.

[edit]missed a parenthesis[/url]

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Fri May 18, 2012 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 22