• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon USA to Cancel DVD Sales, Distribution by Friday

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Long time no see (this thread)...
FUNimation distributed it after Geneon's collapse. It is no longer in print and, while there has been no official announcement that it has been dropped (most are now accounted for, they are unlikely to re-acquire it once the license expires, if it hasn't already.

If anyone did know about a rescue, and were permitted to talk about it, it would have been announced.

At least we have yet-another excuse to bump up ol' threads in case anyone still had any questions to ask.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Funimation saved a large sum of titles last year, so maybe this year they'll see what sold and what didn't. That way Funimation will know whetever to license more Geneon titles or not.

The fact Funimation rescued Karin( One of my favorite romantic comedies of 2007-2008), so most titles are game. There is plenty of shows I wish were licensed or resuced, but ultimately sales and sales excutivess make that decision.

Still, two years later, I still feel a little sad Geneon closed.

Heh, I've had sadness going back 20+ years personally, but that's a whole different story altogether that involves me writing an autobiography that will sell millions one day!

Sorry this took me nearly three years to reply to your post, but I must have missed your post back in 2009.

Well, on the topic of the series Karin, Funimation did re-license this series and even produced a slim version of this series as well. I am not sure how well this series sold for Funimation though.

I was lucky in this case with Karin, but there were a great deal of Geneon series that weren't saved, but that is to be expected.

I just hope the then employees of Geneon USA DVD sales and division were able to find new work shortly after that division shut down.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Well you always hope people can find new jobs, although the industry contraction has been a consistent thread since well, the economic downturn.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Well, on the topic of the series Karin, Funimation did re-license this series and even produced a slim version of this series as well. I am not sure how well this series sold for Funimation though.

FUNimation never announced a license for Karin. It was one of the titles they distributed under Geneon USA's existing license.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

FUNimation never announced a license for Karin. It was one of the titles they distributed under Geneon USA's existing license.

It's been several years, so I forgot that little detail to be honest. Haven't seen any Karin dvd's for several years now though. I am going to guess this series has been out of print for a long time now though.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
3 year-old necropost.

Lock.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 22 of 22