• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: CHICKS AND EXPLOSIONS!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVok

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Even though it's completely tongue-in-cheek, that banner is also genuinely better designed than most of the recent submissions from your readers. Got any more like that?
Akukaze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was ACTION PACKED. I think we need a Hey, Answerman: CHICKS AND EXPLOSIONS!!: The Movie. I'd pay to see that.

And congratulations on 300(-ish).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
The Fiftth Element anime; that would be pretty cool. Loved that movie.
Vantos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I must say, I really enjoyed Daryl Surat's answer.

We must take solace in the fact that it was the brave men and women of ANN that turned back the Nymphet Offensive.

As for the manga stuff, here's another thing: manga is cheaper than anime. Prices for single volumes of manga usually hang in the $8-$11 range while DVDs are $25-$30 per unit.

Last edited by Vantos on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Best. Answerman. Ever.

On moe: I don't really think it's that big of a deal, it is rather niche and only some elements manage to find it's way into the mainstream. The one thing I find most appealing about it isn't necessarily the characters, but the way there characters are often drawn. Very colorful. And moe anime isn't something I enjoy on a high level, but it's a nice comedown after finishing a more serious series. I personally can't go from serious to serious without some rather colorful downtime in between.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
It was awesome before I even clicked to read.

Hmm...i was more afraid of the Thundercats movie.
As for what should be made into anime- Harry Potter for the win! Also, Animorphs or Pendragon. With all the angst in those two seris they'd have enough for 56 episodes and then some.

You know why people have more manga? It's cheaper- I can go to different cons and get manga from $3-$5 a piece. Dvds not so much.

I'm tierd of these motherf*** bombs on these motherf**** whales!
(its so late and yet I felt it as needed)

as for manga to anime...no way they'd be able to go word for word. I understand they want to make a lot of money while the property is fresh- but I wish they'd wait until the story is entirely finished, ask the author for ideas, or work slow enough to let the manga get ahead.

LOL Sucka Foolz! I wonder if those are the people who always thought Pokemon was a better show. Or maybe *gasp* Digimon?

I see the answerfan question for next week is going to be intresting.
Nice colum as always!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
R.G.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

I loved the Fifth Element too,and I agree that it would make a really cool anime.
hamtaroboy2006

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I hate moé! I feel stupider everytime I watch an episode of Moétan.
Give me sexy chicks any day over some little kid who can't take care of herself.
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

I loved the Fifth Element too,and I agree that it would make a really cool anime.

Ditto on the Fifth Element. Awesome movie.

I just wanna know what kind of high you were on when writing the 300th column? (Congrats btw.) That was funny sh*t. I laughed myself silly. Especially when I made it down to the fluffy yellow chicks. Anime hyper
Though my first reaction, since you've been putting cute pictures there for so long, was, "Well, baby chickens aren't very cute." Oops.

Great wacked-out humor in this column! Have a great non-ordinary day!

Last edited by Elves on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
For starters thank you Zac for choosing the correct Jessica. Wink I have a question for you too. When you started the Ohhhhhh Shhhiiiiiii" line was that just a general reference to the quote itself or was that a shout out to Delroy Lindo from Broken Arrow when he said that? Just mindless curiosity.

I agree a 5th Element anime would be pretty cool. I mean just because they stopped the death planet (as I call it) they could still have countless missions, many against some sort of Mangalore problem. Pipe dreams sure are fun.

I have 1 other question for you Zac. We're seeing many anime and animated series/movies get an American Hollywood movie adaptation now. There's Speed Racer, Battle Angel Alita (can't wait for this), and the possible DBZ movie (god knows at this point). Whether or not we receive more, or these movies are good or suck themselves, is obviously up in the air. I was wondering though what you think the likelihood of American material being turned into anime is? WItchblade marks the first American comic to be turned into an anime over there so I was wondering if you think we'll see more American material turned into anime?

Props to 300 columns too. Cool
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The one with the most potential, I think, is James Cameron's Battle Angel project. Battle Angel is spectacular source material, and it's in the hands of someone with a really great track record (and yes, I'm including Titanic in that, so you haters can go jump).

As for American stuff that would make decent anime, although it would never happen in a million years due to an ocean of red tape and licensing issues and what-have-you, I think if they made a 100+ episode adaptation of the Harry Potter series it would be a license to print money.
Hey, I liked Titanic, and still do...it was really great on the technical/detail aspects, and the love story got better on repeated viewings. And I hate to point this out, but Harry Potter isn't technically American.

Manga Success, DVD Stagnation: I'm actually at a point where I want to swear off scanlations, and I've already deleted 90% of what I had. Aside from moral issues and the inconveniences of reading manga on a computer screen, I'm kind of dissatisfied with the translation/editing quality of them. Most of the time, they're not even at fansub-equivalent level, and certainly not close to professional standards. One case that stands out in my mind are some chapters in volumes 16 and 17 of Fruits Basket that I read in scanlations awhile back, and could barely make sense of what was going on. But everything seemed clear when I later got the TokyoPop releases. With fansubs, at least you have the Japanese audio so if you know (some) Japanese, you can compensate for fansub errors. But scanlations don't leave the Japanese text in, so readers have no idea what the original was or how accurate the translation might be. Professional translations and original author approval ftw.

I wouldn't say that scanlations are more scarce compared to fansubs--new releases (torrents, IRC, direct downloads) show up on various update sites much like fansubs do. The difference is that because of the sheer volume of manga that's out there, the percentage of "non-downloadable manga" is higher than the percentage of non-downloadable anime. That might account for some of the differences, but I think the plummeting average age of anime/manga fans is an important factor. Young teenagers can more easily afford a volume of manga every 2 months for $8 than they can a $25 DVD every two months. Not to mention that many of these new manga readers are female, who tend to buy more manga and fewer DVDs in the first place.

Moe: Man, those were some damn good answers. I didn't see a single gross misrepresentation of moe in any of them -- the last one doesn't count due to sheer awesomeness. As much as I like moe, I think the responders touched on some of the issues it poses for the industry. Namely, as more and more moe anime get made that cater heavily to Japanese otaku, North American companies will have a harder and harder time marketing them to, well...people who aren't Japanese otaku. After all, much like Japanese teen girls Wink, Japanese otaku don't represent a significant part of the NA market. I've said it in other threads, but I'm of the belief that anime needs "another 1998," which was approximately when shows like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Ruroni Kenshin, and other action-comedy mainstream anime were the order of the day or at least more common. Now we're getting material like Rozen Maiden, AIR, Nanoha, and Shuffle! brought over here. Imo these are good series, but they're just not the kinds of shows that will get on Adult Swim and make people think, "Hey, this 'Anime' stuff is pretty cool, I should try to get some more of it."

And I have to repeat, Daryl Surat, despite being an enemy of moe, you're still my hero for that hilarious letter. *runs away to watch KoiKoi7 and/or Maburaho*

Quote:
LOL Sucka Foolz! I wonder if those are the people who always thought Pokemon was a better show. Or maybe *gasp* Digimon?
Obviously these Sucka Foolz know that Yugioh is far inferior to the Digimon BITCH!!!!! Laughing

Look, ANN has memes too!

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
linlinchan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Re: Rednal's answer:
Too late. There is indeed an Imouto (Little Sister) Gundam, an official moe Gundam comic series.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The cast is pretty solid

I disagree there, but I will agree they don't suck.

Quote:
As for American stuff that would make decent anime, although it would never happen in a million years due to an ocean of red tape and licensing issues and what-have-you, I think if they made a 100+ episode adaptation of the Harry Potter series it would be a license to print money.

It's called Negima. Rolling Eyes
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

It's called Negima. Rolling Eyes

Yeah those two are exactly alike
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Best. Answerman. Ever.
They say that all the time. Wink

This one is genuinely awesome though! Not as great as the one with the picture of two guys totally getting a high five but still... EXPLOSIONS! JESSICA ALBA! chicks? lol And an awesome banner with a really buff guy from somewhere.

Great flake too. Bwahaha Yugioh gangsta.

Though the questions are rather, ah, lacking, the answers are excellent. I must agree I'm one of those people who see nothing wrong with Titanic. I mean, come on, cheese it may be, but it's high budget Di Caprio cheese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8