• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Satisfaction Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as another company taking over the Geneon properties and name would be...well, another company, I don't see how my impressions of this incident, or indeed their run before now, would affect my trust (or lack thereof) for "Geneon 2".
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

It is sad that the company that I buy the lowest percentage (out of stuff they have released) is the very successful Viz who rarely release anything that isn't a guaranteed hit.

That's not very fair. Viz has the "Viz Signature" line that releases a lot of alternative fare - a lot of mature manga titles, art house and horror stuff, and they also launched Viz Pictures which just licensed the first Funky Forest movie for god's sake, which 99.9999 percent of people have never heard of outside of the few tiny film festivals it's been shown at.

If you want to limit it to anime, then yeah, OK. At this point I'd argue that they're being smart about it, though.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I wish the last question were split into two. On the one hand, I would accept long delays if it meant they released all the titles they had previously committed too. On the other hand, if titles are dropped, I clearly can't buy them which means I can't support those titles that were previously Geneon titles.

Basically, I'm going to be fairly annoyed if they fail to finish or drop any titles. (Though I'm braced for drops. I'm not a moron.) And dropping titles will make me far less likely to trust Geneon releases to be completed, meaning I won't buy until a series run is complete vs. what I do now which is pre-order or buy ASAP. (My first ever pre-orders were Geneon titles. It's that sad?)

I went with Somewhat Likely to keep buying their stuff. Basically, if Geneon can keep the quality levels high (they've dropped a bit lately but they're still above average) and if they can finish the series that are currently in limbo, I'll stick with them. If they drop or fail to finish titles, I'm not going to be nearly as eager as I have been to buy Geneon titles.

I don't care if they want to pay other companies to do everything. All I want is an acceptable English dub (preferably a really good one but I'll take decent quality), the Japanese track because all releases should be bilingual in my humble opinion, a nice art box (please?), and maybe a few extras on the discs. And, if it's not too much trouble, the series they've previously announced, because it's always very disappointing to have one's anime hopes crushed like a cockroach in a fancy French restaurant.

Man I wish the ADV deal had gone through. Crying or Very sad
Haohmaru Of The Wind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
So will the english version of geneon's Samurai Champloo be available in boxset form? I want it for Xmas. I like ADV more than Geneon but I need to get Samurai Champloo.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I've had positive experiences with Geneon's products. I've been happy with all the subs (odd typo here and there, but so does ADV and Media Blasters). I'm really happy with the shows they licensed (I counted 24 Geneon titles in my collection, and the next one down is ADV at 10). I would definitely continue buying their product... if they have product to buy. I don't mind if there's a delay in getting their product out, as long as they continue with the series they already have. If they stop production altogether, never finish their titles, disappear for a couple years, and come back and try to start over with new titles, I would be leery of buying anything from them because they didn't finish with what they started (and I'd be very angry with my six unfinished titles). But I have no problems if someone else finishes distributing their titles. I'd be ecstatic even, especially since dub consistency doesn't bother me one bit, as I am a subtitle only fan (I can see dubbers being more worried over consistency though, because it is irritating to have new voices take over for familiar characters).
cloud1989

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
from whats going on no dvd's after nov. 6 will be released, so if there is no samurai champloo set released before then you won't get it unless geneon can fix themselves or let other's take there licensed series and no one knows how long or if it will ever be. Your best bet is to buy the individual titles while you can still get them new in the store.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Haohmaru Of The Wind wrote:
So will the english version of geneon's Samurai Champloo be available in boxset form? I want it for Xmas. I like ADV more than Geneon but I need to get Samurai Champloo.

cloud1989 wrote:
from whats going on no dvd's after nov. 6 will be released, so if there is no samurai champloo set released before then you won't get it unless geneon can fix themselves or let other's take there licensed series and no one knows how long or if it will ever be. Your best bet is to buy the individual titles while you can still get them new in the store.

Actually, there is a boxset available, it's just not a cheap boxset. TRSI and other retailers have it.
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I find myself in the group that hasn't bought a lot from Geneon in the last couple of years, and most of what I did was old merchandise from cons or the rightstuf sale or various ecconomy sets. It's not that the DVDs weren't technically fine, but Geneon hasn't been putting out many new titles I really want to buy right now. I think the last two years can be summed up in Girls Bravo, Disgaea, and Fate Stay Night.

I have actually had high hopes from geneon lately, seeing them offer older works at more affordible prices, and two titles this year I wanted to buy. I hope they get things worked out somehow. I'd hate to see great titles end up in limbo, and I know friends who just want the titles they are collecting to be released.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who has problems viewing the results (Firefox 2 on windows xp). When I look in the source, I see the percentages and stuff, but when I view the page...it's just black text on a white background with no bars or anything. weird.

In any case, the bulk of my anime collection - I'd dare say a full half of it - is from Geneon, and I've like all of it. Perhaps the only parts i'm unsatisfied with is the dub with Ai Yori Aoshi.

I have been holding off on buying shana because I've been waiting for a box set, or at least some release with an art box, but since it looks like that may be a ways off, perhaps I should go ahead and buy it...

edit: the page works now
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
The only thing I want from Geneon is Lupin, and if they knew they couldn't sell that many episodes in the first place, they should have just settled for the first or third series.
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
The thing that Geneon did well and I will miss them because of this is they seemed to find the best small titles and release them, finally we got Anime that defied stereotypical conventions (NiEa, Lain, Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, Last Exile, Paranoia Agent) The anime community has suffered a huge blow, they treated their products like art and they probably were my favorite company. I just really wish they can come back, they mean so much to me.

I finished just watching Ergo Proxy yesterday and little did I know that it was about to end for Geneon, Ergo Proxy had a phenomenal ending and the main theme is that even though something has died, there is still hope to rebuild the future and that is what I am hoping Geneon will do.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
I've been extremely satisfied with Geneon's products, most of collection is Geneon as well, which is why this recent development is quite the shock to me. They just have had a large ammount of stuff I was interested in, and I didn't think they were hurting so bad that they actually needed that deal with ADV. I didn't suspect anything like this was going to happen. Crying or Very sad

I would say that if another company took over the series that I'm currently following that wouldn't finish before the date ( Black Lagoon: The Second Barage, Hellsing Ultimate, and When They Cry ) I would be extremely happy since I could continue my collection of the show. I don't really care who puts it out as long as I can own it and it's a quality release. The same episode count per DVD would be appreciated though so it would fit in the artboxes I've got....

As to the rest of it, like Richard J. I would say that my faith is the quality of their products would only go down if they outright failed to finish a series that I was following. It would make me very angry and hesitant to buy any of their future releases if I suspected I might get screwed over again. I'm one who learns from his mistakes and I wouldn't sit down at a table and play cards with a dealer I knew had cheated me once before. I would not be adversely effected if all this means is just some lengthy delays, however, though. If I know I'll get it eventually I can be real patient.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
How am I supposed to recruit haibane fans if I can't point them to DVDs they can buy?

Seriously!

This is disappointing news and I do so hope they figure out a way to contract with someone else to handle the production and distribution of their titles here. I have always been happy with Pioneer/Geneon products and they make up a larger percentage of my collection than any other company.

I suppose it's part of what got them in trouble, but I just hate to see this happen to a company that was willing to take some chances on stuff that wasn't mainstream even within the already not-mainstream anime world. Series like Haibane Renmei, Someday's Dreamers, and Tsukihime were really enjoyable and I wonder if I would have ever had a chance to see them if it had to have been left up to just the other companies. At the very least, we probably won't get as many of these types of titles any more. That's kind of a big deal to me since I'm not really the typical anime fan and tend to enjoy these types of shows more than "currently popular giant Shounen Jump offering", but I do understand the realities of the financial side of things.

I was looking forward to Higurashi and just hadn't got around to starting to pick it up, but now I'm not going to start in on it until I am sure they will actually finish it.

Whatever they are going to do, I hope they can come to some resolution soon so that fans can make their buying decisions based on actual information instead of just speculation.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna be fairly optimistic about this. As long as they can finish the series they have started releasing, I could handle them dropping announced but unreleased series, which could then be relicensed by other companies.
I've bought Fafner, Elemental Gelade, Girls Bravo, Popotan, Ikki Tousen, Mahoromatic, and most recently, Higurashi, and I've been pleased with the quality of their releases. As someone else said, I'd be fine with delays or even other companies taking over full production/distribution, so long as they stick to the original episode/disc ratio, since I only buy series that come with artboxes (sadly, the reason I do not own Shakugan no Shana). And VA consistency would not be an issue, since I watch the JPN+subs when I have a DVD. I only watch dubs on tv.
I just hope that they can get their series out. As long as they don't completely cave, and drop everything, I'll still be here to buy the anime, since I buy anime series not a production (distribution, marketing, sales, etc.) company. The name on the box doesn't bother me, as long as it's dual-audio with subtitles. And an artbox. Don't forget the artbox.

Edit- to the people who still complain about how long it takes for each episode of Hellsing Ultimate to come out... it comes out here just as often as it does in Japan. It's an OVA. They spend months on each one, which is why they are such high quality episodes. Stop complaining.

Last edited by teh*darkness on Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
brightredglow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
My biggest quibble with Geneon was the amount of episodes per disc (avg 4) for the price ($29).

But that aside, they brought over some of my favorite series: Samurai Champloo, Kamichu! (which was such a wonderful surprise), Samurai Horror Tales, Mermaid Forest, Paranoia Agent, and the still wonderful to watch, LastExile.

And there was much I was looking forward to from them: Saiunkoku, Karin, Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage, and, of course, the much anticipated Seirei no Moribito.

Although I never bought these series, I admire Geneon for taking a chance on Koi Kaze, Technolyze, Gankutsuou, and Paradise Kiss.

One thing I really liked about Geneon was that once the license was announced, there wasn't a huge wait for release. This is not always true of some other companies (Funimation I'm looking at you with that nearly 2 year wait for BECK).

So I was satisfied overall with their products. And I hope that they'll be able to work something out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5