• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Delicious Creme Filler

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

As for strange OPs, how about that one-time Ep #24 OP of Maison Ikkoku....... It's like, that song came out of left field. Laughing

That is truly boggling, I would never have expected crappy 70s singer-songwriter Gilbert O'Sullivan to be have been even heard of in Japan, let alone known of enough to put on an anime OP.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:46 am Reply with quote
I have to give special props to the intro on the final Zetsubou Sensei OVA, which has the full length version of Ringo Mogaire Beam

Hang onto your brain, we're going in...

Shinbo, Gekidan Inu Curry, and Kenji Otsuki were a marriage made in heaven - or hell...?

Moving on, and while the series had it's flaws, the catchiest theme song of the year has to be the OP from Kamisama Dolls, Fukanzen Nenshou, nan daro, so nan daro...
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
I have to give special props to the intro on the final Zetsubou Sensei OVA, which has the full length version of Ringo Mogaire Beam

Hang onto your brain, we're going in......

Thanks for that. Any day seeing that for the first time is a good day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marklungo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I've had mixed experiences with bootlegs. At the time I wasn't aware that what I was ordering from SE Asia - none are licensed in Australia - were, in fact, bootlegs.

Haibane Renmei - the quality is superb - it's probably a rip. I love the series so much that if licensed product were available I would buy it. It came with a scratch on one of the discs so that some players struggle with it.

Serial Experiments Lain - ditto on all counts except the scratch; from the same bootleg organisation, FX.

Actually, both Haibane Renmei and Lain are available from Madman.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
marklungo wrote:
Actually, both Haibane Renmei and Lain are available from Madman.

Actually, they only stock the first volume of Haibane Renmei (episodes 1-4) and have long since stopped stocking Serial Experiments: Lain - there's no means to order it from the site. Why the latter is displayed on their site is beyond me. Maybe it means they still have the license but have never bothered re-pressing it.

Believe me, if I could get them I would.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Macron One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Nodame Cantabile - first two seasons - poor quality fansubs (especially the subtitles!), but what do you do when there's no alternative?

There actually is an official region 3 dvd release of the first season out there that has not just english subtitles, but also the Animax english dub. A perfectly good alternative as long as you have an all-region dvd player!
Kyubei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Man, that Naruto filler idea sounds worse than what they already do. I hate fanfiction with a passion, so seeing animated fanfiction would be annoying.

Filler is already animated fanfiction. Fanfiction is somebody setting a story in somebody else's universe. Filler is just the same, except it typically adds the constraint of not touching anything.

I think it's that last part that creates the most problems. It makes most filler very bland and ultimately inconsequential.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Ah bootlegs, so weird. My one run in with them was when I found a Berserk complete collection at a used book store. It looked different from what I'd seen online, so I scanned the bar code on the back with my phone and a toy sword came upXD
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
The best bootleg boxset case I've ever seen had to be this one I saw for Hokuto no Ken once. It had an illustration of Kenshiro standing next to the logo, but all over the rest of the box's front was a splash of panels from the manga. If only official releases could do something like that...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Kyubei wrote:
Filler is already animated fanfiction. Fanfiction is somebody setting a story in somebody else's universe. Filler is just the same, except it typically adds the constraint of not touching anything.

No... no really. No matter what manga purists want to say, the stuff that happens in the anime is official and 'canon' to the anime. You're also misusing the word filler. That term is not interchangeable with 'anime original content'
Kyubei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

No... no really. No matter what manga purists want to say, the stuff that happens in the anime is official and 'canon' to the anime. You're also misusing the word filler. That term is not interchangeable with 'anime original content'

Sure, and stuff in a fanfic is canon to the fanfic itself as well.

But the only thing that makes filler official is that somebody got paid for making it and it was made with permission. Other than that, the writing is in the most cases exactly the same as for a fanfic: the filler's writer is setting their story in somebody else's universe.

By "filler" I mean anime episodes set in the manga universe, to cover for the lack of official material to animate, and which don't contribute to the overall plot. For instance, the first FMA has fillers in the beginning with the Majhal and Psiren episodes, then diverged into its own storyline after which it has no fillers anymore.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
You ask me, NANA can stay unfinished. I've never understood the allure of the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Nadare Xizos wrote:
You ask me, NANA can stay unfinished. I've never understood the allure of the manga.

As someone who does understand the allure of this manga, I hope it does get finished. Seriously, how rude! Mad
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Spotting a bootleg depends a lot on the efforts of the bootlegger. Some will try to trick you by making the packaging look like the legit stuff. If you're lucky, when looking online the description will list subtitle tracks. I had looked on ebay years ago, but seeing several cheap sets that had Chinese subtitle tracks, I decided to stay away from ebay. Fortunately, when I was first starting out collecting I was only buying from Best Buy, so there was no worry about bootlegs there.

A friend of mine was fooled by a soundtrack he bought at a con. He didn't know what the packaging was supposed to look like, and the price was consistent with what an imported CD would normally cost. I'm not sure which made him angrier, that he bought a bootleg, or that he paid full price for it.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But, of course! Five bucks is still a complete ripoff. And not just because you're supporting scummy pirates instead of the actual artists responsible for the show. Because for those five hard-earned dollars you'll be getting some of the worst, dirtiest, poorly-encoded video you'll likely ever see outside of a YouTube video circa 2006, compounded with poorly-timed, incomprehensible "English" subtitles that won't help you understand the show any more than just watching it in Japanese.

Two words: ABSOLUTE RUBBISH.

They guy bought it at a thrift store. Hopefully that $5 goes to a worthy cause like feeding several children 3 square meals for a week, or allowing a guy to rest in a safe place for a night, or some other beneficial social service.

Try and look at the bigger picture.

Then again, if it was bought at Savers.....return that crap as fast as you can!! Hopefully it was bought at least Monday of this week's posting.......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3