• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Officials Reprimanded for Gundam Wikipedia Updates

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
LOL.
Otaku's in the government. Nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Poor guy must be very embarassed for all the media attention but really 200, is a bit much and he should have been working. The slap on the wrist he got seems like it was enough. This sort of stuff happens alot in the US too (like the unemployment offices) and it can be worse than 200 updates to Wikipedia, more like a whole work shift of just playing solitaire and other games (not me by the way.) Unless it disrupts work than I don't really see a big deal but if these people are spending more time on computer entertainment rather than actual work then that's when it becomes a problem because like the news report said it is tax payers' money.
Walker-san

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
At least he was doing something useful, rather than just kicking back and playing minesweeper hentai-edition.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
You know it has me wondering...

In fact, whatever respect I have left for anime in general and its fandom... If it's not all gone, then it is now.

I have to ask this question: Are they "old-school" Gundam fans? Or are they the more recent ones who drool over "Moe Gundam?"
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Sheesh - everyone uses the company computers for things other than corporate work - they should ignore it - if it keeps the employees happy, production goes up. Paranoia only leads to reduced production levels.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Sheesh - everyone uses the company computers for things other than corporate work - they should ignore it - if it keeps the employees happy, production goes up. Paranoia only leads to reduced production levels.

Everyone knows a happy worker is a worker who'll work.
If I were working an office job and I felt demotivated but was too paranoid to relieve my stress properly, I'd just scroll up and down and up and down a spreadsheet (or whatever office application were more appropriate) for an hour or so.
It'd be like when I was a telemarketer - I'd often just hold the reciever to my ear and pretend to dial numbers rather than actually call people.

A few updates to a website is no big deal, and I wonder how extensive those ~200 edits really were?
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:

It'd be like when I was a telemarketer - I'd often just hold the reciever to my ear and pretend to dial numbers rather than actually call people.

If only all telemarketers were as awesome a worker as you...
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm a US federal government official and I use waste time doing anime things on my computer all the time. I got fired from one agency because I was using the color printer to print out anime content. I work at another fed agency it's difficult to fight the urge to watch anime on YouTube.

The guy did 200 entries because frankly government work is very very very light and dull. Since government work deadlines are very relaxed compared to the private sector, we have way too much time in on our hands. I guy craved something fun and challenging so he got himself hooked on those wiki edits
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
If only all telemarketers were as awesome a worker as you...

Laughing
As much as I'd like to say that 'Telemarketers aren't as bad people as you'd think', in my experience, they generally are just that bad. Razz
Sometimes (surprisingly often) you'd call an elderly person and the conversation would play out something like this:

Me: "Hello! I'm calling from XYZ company, are you interested in windows?"
OAP: "No, no, no. I'm about to die anyway, there's no point in my buying new windows..."

The amazing thing is that my supervisor would expect me to continue trying to sell the damn things after that! Laughing
The best thing to do is just say that you rent, or live in a registered property - that'll sometimes get you written right off of their telephone number list.

I quit right after I'd earned enough pocket money to buy FMP! (for $40 a volume!) back when I first became interested in anime - which was little more than three years ago. My quitting was probably good for the company actually - I only secured two contracts in my entire 6 months working there; I tended to just say "Oh, okay. Thanks anyway." and hang up when people said no Laughing

Anyway, back to the point:
If you're spending time doing something unimportant instead of your job, than it's a symptom of some greater cause of job dissatisfaction - and if letting off steam by editing an article on Gundam is going to help you feel up to the real task at hand, than you should go ahead (in the absence of action being taken by 'The Boss' to relieve job dissatisfaction).

Besides, the people need to be educated in the history of the Gundam universe - That is a public service!
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Awesome.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah Wikipedia, perpetuating the idea that if enough people believe it it must be true.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
To think that someone is "watching" me at work is scary. Everybody uses the company computers for some other reason other than work. However, these guys went overboard.

Talking about Gundam, it's almost Oct 6th! Perhaps, they're updating Gundam 00. I visited the ANN Gundam page and saw that they are making another Seed movie in 2008....I get this creepy feeling whenever I see they are making another movie (not series) on Seed. Rolling Eyes
Nermal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:24 am Reply with quote
Impressive and inspirational...I hope to accomplish something like that at work someday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1