• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Halts Romeo×Juliet Fansub with FUNimation's Help

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

They're not dumb people, the people that run these companies. They know all this. There's just a lot of red tape involved in making the changes that need to take place. Meanwhile, this is a good first step. I hope it's not the last.

Looking at the mean quality of certain companies DVDs and works(namely, ADV) I think I get the opposite idea.
Omega13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Omega13 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Also, if the show "jumps the shark" at episode 7 and you're buying the DVDs, you could always, you know, stop buying the DVDs and resell or trade the ones you bought already. There are a lot of holes in your argument.

There is, however, the occasional series that does the exact opposite of jumping the shark (is there a term for that?). Anyway, Mai Hime comes to mind here. For the first few episodes it seems like its just cute girls fighting the monster of the day, some sexual overtones and well-placed misunderstandings, yadda yadda. Then around episode 10 (I think) it changes to more of a 'Oh Shi-! There're actually consequences for this!' Had I not watched that far (which, incidentally, is as far as I got in fansubs until real life kicked my rear, but the full series is currently on order with TRSI), I probably would've thought, 'yea, it would be fun, but it's not worth me buying it'.

You could still continue to buy the dvds after, just an example, reading in a magazine or online how the story continues and the mood darkens, or a well-informed friend tells you about it.

I wasn't trying to make it a pro-fansubs argument, but rather saying that, just as there are series that start off well enough for you to like it, but take a turn for the worse, there are series that start off slow, or in an unappealing manner, but pick up later on, to the point that you would feel it worth your money. Fansubs aren't the only way to get the whole picture, but it is a way, and the most accurate, since you're seeing exactly what you'll get.

Swissman wrote:
Omega13 wrote:
Also for the 'watch it all first' side of the argument, there're episodes 25 and 26 of Eva.

The arthouse direction of the series begins way further back, at least around ep. 16, IIRC.

Yes, but it's universally agreed that episodes 25 and 26 have a huge "WTF?" factor.

Last edited by Omega13 on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
la_contessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
would you even have known about the broadcast order without fansubs?

Yes. It's in the ANN Encyclopedia: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6430&page=25 Note that there are no fansubs there.

Your conspiracy theories have made my day. Thank you.

ximpalullaorg wrote:

Well, and I can decide to buy their DVDs or go for R2 versions. Usually it's the second choice, for this and other reasons not worth discussing. Mostly is due extremely late releases (like, to make a recent example, Funimation's Witchblade). It's good they're fighting piracy, but that has little meaning to me if something (not necessarily price eh) doesn't change for the better after a while.
And criminal organizations may have to be dealt with police..but they're the ones chopping the market more.

Wait, so your point was that you just don't care about the article? I'm sorry, I thought you were making an entitlement argument. I misinterpreted what you had said, my fault. I'm actually not too upset with R1 releases, even the timing--I'm in law school, so I don't have time to watch them immediately anyway even if they came out the next month. I would definitely buy the R2 releases of jdramas if I had a region 2 player and more spending money, though.

And again, I completely agree that bootleggers are a huge problem, but the most private companies can do is lean on police. The Chinese police may not even care, so there would have to be some way to get jurisdiction somewhere else. I know how U.S. domestic jurisdictional law works, but I'm not an international law person.

Last edited by la_contessa on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
pedrowear wrote:
The cost? Samurai Champloo, at Amazon.ca for about $30 each disk, the entire series, after tax, $236.13 - a pretty big investment.
And yes, watching the entire thing for free is exactly how people watch this in Japan - before buying the series they like on DVD. Not to mention, that's exactly how it works with TV shows here in North America.

Anime isn't free in Japan either, all television broadcasts cost fees (not to mention the Broadcasting Act requires residents to pay a monthly fee simply for owning a TV, recently the NHK has been cracking down on non-payers). Their DVD prices are significantly higher as well, just look at Bandai Visual's attempt to treat the US market like Japan.

I for one hope this news means FUNimation picked up Romeo x Juliet, that series is surprisingly good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Damius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
So the debate will start again.

I do not download fansub. But the question I am asking now is simple...

1. How many people who download fansub buy dvds after?
2. How many people who download fansub buy limited edition because they already finish the series and like it so much to buy a LE.
3. How many people who download fansub will if fansub are down buy dvds? Do they have the money? Do they will just quit?

I am not someone who download fansub because I prefer to read review, rent it and if I like it buy it. (or for big success like Death Note buy it already).

If fansub are not an option anymore do that will help really help dvd sales?

I am asking to the industry before doing anything to answer those questions.

Last edited by Damius on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Eos wrote:

I for one hope this news means FUNimation picked up Romeo x Juliet, that series is surprisingly good.

I personally think it's mediocre at best. Good start then slows too much during the central part, with lots of scenes that could have been cut without any problems or the plot or the character development.

Last edited by ximpalullaorg on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Ah well, this will cause a huge backlash against Gonzo and Funimation - these will be the next two companies to fold.

In the meantime, that's too bad that nobody will ever be able to see the completion of Romeo X Juliet except for those living in Japan. Once again separatist ideas will lead to negativity and economic ruin.

It would have been better if Funimation had announced they had licensed Romeo X Juliet instead.
james039

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I think fansubs fill a role. They aren't exactly legal, but they benefit anime fans (especially the DVD buyers) considerably.

- They do provide north american exposure for anime series.
- They provide a baseline for quality control on DVD releases (companies will have to provide releases with equally good video quality, and good translations, or else they won't sell very well).
- They help ensure anime DVD releases never (or rarely) get censored/edited for North American release (fans can compare against the fansub and we can boycott any censored releases).

Note, all these benefits are for consumers, and do little to help North American anime companies. I spend in excess of $200 per month on anime DVD's, and the fansubs do a lot to keep up my confidence in the North American releases (I can see the improvement in quality on my DVD when I watch it).

I really hope one day TV signals go global, then that way we'll have the Japanese TV stations as a legit way to preview series before purchasing them (Pay $$$ if you want a translation now, Wink )
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Ah well, this will cause a huge backlash against Gonzo and Funimation - these will be the next two companies to fold.

Hahahahahahaha

Thanks for this brilliant prediction, Nostradamus! Have any other mystical readings from the future for us?
la_contessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
In the meantime, that's too bad that nobody will ever be able to see the completion of Romeo X Juliet except for those living in Japan. Once again separatist ideas will lead to negativity and economic ruin.

You speak as though the rest of the world has a right to finish anime series. My, what abundant times we live in, if it is simply a TRAVESTY to be parted from your beloved anime.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:
I think this is great--I was just saying in the Answerman thread that companies ought to be stepping up prohibitions on fansubs.

The "legit consumer" has nothing to do with the purpose of copyright law. The "consumer" is not meant to be the primary beneficiary under ANY theory of copyright--the oft most stated purpose is stimulation of creativity through protection of creators' rights. The consumer benefits in that there will be more choices of media (i.e. if anime is profitable, more people will make it), and the consumer also may benefit from higher quality releases as opposed to bootlegs, but the primary beneficiary of copyright law is the creator. Perhaps you're all thinking of trademark law, where protection of the consumer actually does compete with protection of the company as the main purpose. At any rate, copyright law rarely considers the consumer (certain causes of action do reference hypothetical people like "reasonable viewers," but it's not the main issue).

No not really, the primary beneficiary of copyright law was SUPPOSED to be the public in general, not companies. You see, waaay back when the USA was founded, our founding fathers reached a well-thought out compromise. We want to encourage artists of all kinds to create art, we want writers, painters and now movie/game makers to do their thing, as doing so does greatly enrich our culture. Therefore they wanted to add a financial incentive to encourage artists to make art, since they could make money off of it more directly. HOWEVER! This can only be done with a balanced approach, which current copyright law does not have.

You see, to maximise the amount of creative works made an artist needs sources to draw upon. The anime here in question has at least some basis on Romeo and Juliet, a play that shakespeare himself adapted from a previous source. Artists do not create content out of thin air, everything is derrived from something, usually a combination of somethings. So since copyright allows an idea monopoly, this monopoly, as it is not natural one, was greatly limited. It's term was originally (in this country) 14 years (Which was scientifically decided to be the term length of greatest cultural benefit), with the chance of renewal for another 14 only if the author explicitly registered their copyright with the office for a small fee. This gave an artist time to make a fair bit of money before returning his work to the public domain to be the basis of future creative works.

As well certain fair uses were established to allow certain basic rights to not be pre-empted (commentary, right of first sale, etc.) So please, next time you bring up the stated purpose of copyright law, do a little research first. Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Damius wrote:
So the debate will start again.
1. How many people who download fansub buy dvds after?
2. How many people who download fansub buy limited edition because they already finish the series and like it so much to buy a LE.
3. How many people who download fansub will if fansub are down buy dvds? Do they have the money? Do they will just quit?

1. I do. Figures are over 50%
2. I do. Figures are the same as for people who watch the show in Japan and like it.
3. If no more fansubs, the DVD sales will suffer horribly because there is no more free advertising. There may be an increase in R2 DVD sales from people like me who buy the Japanese Newtype and other magazines to see what is fresh in Japan.

But they keep missing the whole point of the fansubs - the shows are shown for free in Japan on TV. That is partially how the fanbase is generated and how poeple know to buy the DVDs when they come out. Without something similar in other markets, there is ZERO imputes to buy an anime title, and the only market pressure is then word of mouth - and that takes about 9 months to 2 years to build for any title - far beyond what many licensing houses will commit to for a print run on a title.

The stupidity of killing off their own marketing arms (and free ones at that) will only result in more and more anime and manga houses closing. The manga houses are closing because they over-licensed their titles. I have zero reason to buy original Japanese manga anymore since all I have to do is wait a few months and it will be released here in the US. Years ago I was spending thousands a month getting manga from Japan. Now I spend it all in the US and only buy the occasional adult manga straight from Japan. And the anime houses are closing because they opened their mouths and said "no more online distribution of our titles!" - and thus nobody knew about them anymore and sales of their R2 releases flagged badly.

Geneon's failure is more an issue of bad managment moreso than anything else, and a failure to read the market correctly for what the market will bear price wise for the products. Bandai suffers from that same problem - they think people in the US will pay the same prices that people in Japan do for a single DVD. This will give them the false impression that nobody in the US wants their titles. Not so - we want them, but they have to be priced competitively with pieces from the major Hollywood studios. Older titles at $9.99 a DVD retail and newer titles at $19.99 to $29.99 a DVD. Boxed sets at no more than $40 to $50 a set. Not two to three times these prices.

Anyways, I saw this happen with the big sports houses like Major League Baseball, it almost happened to Wrestling, and there are many other sports that used to be widely watched that only have niche audiences now due to the same type of stupid marketing - you cant garner fans for something by restricting who can watch it - when you do so, you only gain a minimal audience. When I grew up this was all freely available to everyone - and guess what - the fanbase for all these was nearly 10 times what it is today, and for some sports - they HAD a fan base back then - and zero now.

Live and learn - but many miss the lesson taught.
pedrowear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
In stating that anime is "free" in Japan, something is being overlooked - which I admit I missed myself - and that's broadcasting rights being paid to the original creator/distributor. Therefore, it's not just free advertising.

Fansubbing doesn't allow for this. But what about if a company were to offer high-quality, downloadable subbed versions of their shows at $1 a pop and however much you spent on a series you would get as a discount on the DVD set?

I know I would do it - I would feel better about supporting the artist and it's not much of an investment off the top.

Is anyone out there doing this? Or is it too tricky to pull off?
la_contessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
No not really, the primary beneficiary of copyright law was SUPPOSED to be the public in general, not companies. You see, waaay back when the USA was founded, our founding fathers reached a well-thought out compromise. We want to encourage artists of all kinds to create art, we want writers, painters and now movie/game makers to do their thing, as doing so does greatly enrich our culture. Therefore they wanted to add a financial incentive to encourage artists to make art, since they could make money off of it more directly. HOWEVER! This can only be done with a balanced approach, which current copyright law does not have.

You see, to maximise the amount of creative works made an artist needs sources to draw upon. The anime here in question has at least some basis on Romeo and Juliet, a play that shakespeare himself adapted from a previous source. Artists do not create content out of thin air, everything is derrived from something, usually a combination of somethings. So since copyright allows an idea monopoly, this monopoly, as it is not natural one, was greatly limited. It's term was originally (in this country) 14 years (Which was scientifically decided to be the term length of greatest cultural benefit), with the chance of renewal for another 14 only if the author explicitly registered their copyright with the office for a small fee. This gave an artist time to make a fair bit of money before returning his work to the public domain to be the basis of future creative works.

As well certain fair uses were established to allow certain basic rights to not be pre-empted (commentary, right of first sale, etc.) So please, next time you bring up the stated purpose of copyright law, do a little research first. Cool

Excuse me? Would you like me to mail you my law school copyrights textbook when I'm finished with it? Although, perhaps you should take a legal reasoning class on your own, because NOTHING you said actually contradicts anything I said! Are you arguing that the purpose of copyright law is to give to the public the benefits of increased creativity? Right, and how is that done? "Therefore they wanted to add a financial incentive to encourage artists to make art, since they could make money off of it more directly." Ahh, okay, by securing to creators a limited time monopoly to recoup their costs of production (including the opportunity cost of the time they spent creating)--i.e. a direct benefit given to creators. Read the Copyright Act when you get a chance--only copyright holders have standing to pursue an infringement cause of action, not the public.

Your statements seem more directed toward a critique of the length of current copyright protection, which has no bearing whatsoever on what I said. Make all the legal arguments you want, but don't act as though you've found some startlingly large hole in my point, because nothing I said was controversial at all.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Watching the entire thing for free is not a "preview", you're just getting the entire product for free. Seeing the first episode for free is a "preview", I guess. People pay $10.50 to see a film they've never seen before based on a 3-minute trailer.

There's a difference in several orders of magnitude here between paying 8$ to see a movie and spending 200$ to buy an anime series. (Yes I have paid that for several boxed sets.)

Quote:
I'd like to know where you're getting the "$250 for 26 episodes" thing when most 26-episode series are released across 5, maybe 6 discs, and are generally priced at online and major retailers around $20. That's closer to $100.

Technically most releases can start out (if they're not discounted) at 25$ a disk, and that's 150$ for a six disk release, or if you do it Geneon style and have eight disks that's 200$. I've seen boxed sets (all geneon) cost around that much too at brick and mortar stores, it's enough to put off some people.

Quote:
Also, if the show "jumps the shark" at episode 7 and you're buying the DVDs, you could always, you know, stop buying the DVDs and resell or trade the ones you bought already. There are a lot of holes in your argument.

That won't recoup hardly any of the cost, most retailer trade in programs only offer you a tiny fraction of the price when they buy it back. you'll get back maybe 5$ from a recent 25$ disk. I remember once seeing what the trade in value was on one of my 200$ boxed sets (still in pristine condition, I'm very careful at handling them) and was told it'd go for 35$, and i was lucky to get that.

What fansubs do however do is allow for free market research and viral advertising. It allows for a company wanting to pick up licenses to look at what's being downloaded a lot from japan and very quickly say "Hey, this might be worth a shot." I can bet there's been a lot of titles released we'd have never seen here in the west dubbed if there hadn't first been a fansub market to show there was a lot of desire out west for that title, and a fanbase ready to snatch up official releases.

Is this a 100% surefire thing? No. Is it 100% necessary? no. Does it offer a far greater net benefit? Yes.

I can see why this is being done, and I'm inclined to feel bad for R1 distributors right now, but if this becomes a trend It will only have a negative effect for all parties involved long term.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20