• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redranger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Age was awesome!! And DAT opening! Got me fired up it did.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Is anybody going to review Last Exile, or is the Fall preview done?

It's been out for four or five days now on fansubs, so I'm curious too why it hasn't been covered. Is there a delayed simulcast that people are waiting for?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Preview guide is over.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I suppose since FUNimation has licensed it already for home release ANN was reluctant to do a preview of it. Pity. I wanted to know if the previewers thought the first episode was as poor as I found it to be.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I suppose since FUNimation has licensed it already for home release ANN was reluctant to do a preview of it. Pity. I wanted to know if the previewers thought the first episode was as poor as I found it to be.

Actually, it (i.e. Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing) was more a case of it being dead last in the season - something like four days or more after the next-to-last premiere. I was planning to give it a 4 our of 5, primarily on the strength of excellent technical merits and carrying on the look and feel of the original series (which I have long thought is one of Gonzo's best and most complete efforts). It certainly has the potential to be a great series, and can't honestly say that about more than 2-3 other titles this season.

And incidentally, since Zac shut things down before I could get these two cleared, I was giving Un-Go a 2.5 and Guilty Crown a 4, although the way that the second episode of the latter ended I seriously question whether it will be able to maintain that score.

Best series so far this season? Fate/Zero, by a wide margin. The first three episodes have been superb, and I wasn't even familiar with the franchise going in. Biggest positive surprise so far has been Ben-To. Those two and Shana III are, for certain, on my to-watch list, with GC, LE:Fam, and Future Diary being the most likely candidates for my fourth. (Though I won't rule out Maken-Ki if its third episode isn't the same degree of gross suckage that its second episode was.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Actually, it (i.e. Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing) was more a case of it being dead last in the season - something like four days or more after the next-to-last premiere. I was planning to give it a 4 our of 5, primarily on the strength of excellent technical merits and carrying on the look and feel of the original series (which I have long thought is one of Gonzo's best and most complete efforts). It certainly has the potential to be a great series, and can't honestly say that about more than 2-3 other titles this season.

Totally agree Key, I thought the first episode was great and it had tons of potential to deliver another big story with potentially very likeable characters like the first season did and that setting is still as unique and stunning to look at and experience as ever (along with that perfect music from the returning composer).

Key wrote:
And incidentally, since Zac shut things down before I could get these two cleared, I was giving Un-Go a 2.5 and Guilty Crown a 4, although the way that the second episode of the latter ended I seriously question whether it will be able to maintain that score.

I've still got a lot of hope for Un-Go given the staff and I generally enjoyed the first episode and think there's enough there and with that staff for it to really build off of that intro but I'm not sure given the ep count how much of it's potentially it'll reach given the writer and director. Out of curiosity, did you think the groundwork they laid/intros being now finished could result in a show you'd score higher with a pretty good second ep or do you think they've got a lot of work ahead of them in the next episode or two to get it up to the next tier in your opinion?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
I've still got a lot of hope for Un-Go given the staff and I generally enjoyed the first episode and think there's enough there and with that staff for it to really build off of that intro but I'm not sure given the ep count how much of it's potentially it'll reach given the writer and director. Out of curiosity, did you think the groundwork they laid/intros being now finished could result in a show you'd score higher with a pretty good second ep or do you think they've got a lot of work ahead of them in the next episode or two to get it up to the next tier in your opinion?

Concerning Un-Go, you mean? The mystery-solving element was generic, but there's enough weirdness going on there that I'm not sure yet what to make of it. Anime mystery shows are a hard sell to me because the mystery aspect is usually lame, so the show's other merits typically have to carry it. Gosick, for instance, eventually won me over much more with the technical merits, main character relationship, and they way it integrated some of its bigger mysteries into its overall story. This one doesn't have the technical merits as strongly in its favor, so that's already one strike against it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(Though I won't rule out Maken-Ki if its third episode isn't the same degree of gross suckage that its second episode was.)

I made it halfway through and gave up after the lead heroically leapt into action to simultaneously screw over some guy's confession of love and defend traditional gender roles rendered absurd by the situation. I thought the confession was bizarrely cute and sweet, but the creators seem to be on a totally different page from me.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

Concerning Un-Go, you mean? The mystery-solving element was generic, but there's enough weirdness going on there that I'm not sure yet what to make of it. Anime mystery shows are a hard sell to me because the mystery aspect is usually lame, so the show's other merits typically have to carry it. Gosick, for instance, eventually won me over much more with the technical merits, main character relationship, and they way it integrated some of its bigger mysteries into its overall story. This one doesn't have the technical merits as strongly in its favor, so that's already one strike against it.

Yup, thanks! I pretty much agree with where the show is at at the moment, and that, as usual, the opening mystery was quite generic.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I liked the first episode of Guilty Crown, but I didn't like the second episode simply because it's been two episode, and there hasn't been a westerner who isn't completely evil. The main enemy pilot is this incredibly goofy psycho.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

I totally agree with this assessment of Un-Gu. So far it has been a disappointment, especially considering it is Noitamina, and I usually expect at least good technical work from that time-slot. Gosick hooked me with the character dynamics and art right off the bat, the fact that the over-arching story line ended up being awesome and incorporating so much of the episodic stories was gravy!

Key wrote:
Guilty Crown a 4, although the way that the second episode of the latter ended I seriously question whether it will be able to maintain that score.

The end of Episode 2 made me cringe a bit too, but if they can keep up the hard-rockin' action and excellent animation and background art, I can put up with a lot of cliche elements. So far the hook element, the Guilty Crown itself, the "King's Power", is an interesting twist. spoiler[(Though it appears that the people don't have to be "friends" like the set-up seemed to imply, at least with the "Kalidescope's" source. I don't think anybody considers him a friend!)]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 43 of 43